• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Green Card, No Free Car (Chicago woman)

"Winning a Chevrolet Corvette is the stuff of dreams. In Maribel Nava Alvarez's case, it has been a nightmare.
The former Little Village resident said officials with local radio station La Ley 107.9 FM and its parent company, Spanish Broadcasting System, withheld the gray sports car she won in a La Ley raffle when they discovered she was an undocumented resident. What's worse, she said, is that an SBS attorney allegedly threatened to alert authorities of her immigration status once he learned she intended to take her battle to court"

Bebe usted puede manejar mi coche
Sí seré una estrella
Bebe usted puede manejar mi coche
Y quizá te quiero
Beep beep, beep beep, yeah...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/229148,CST-NWS-ley25.article

Something tells me that Srs. Lennon y McCartney would have had trouble with the meter of that chorus given the chosen beat.

Also, I wonder if La Ley 107.9's contest rules had a "US citizens only" clause--which I know Clear Channel's rules does contain.

By the way, the attorney should have just alerted the authorities--screw the threat. Just let ICE know.

Also, one problem here in SBS's favor: taxes have to be reported on this car. If she doesn't do it--which she can't, being an illegal alien with no SSN, tax ID number, or interest in tipping off the US government of her status--the burden then falls to SBS, who can face liability for knowingly aiding an illegal alien if they give her the car without reporting appropriate tax information.

>>taxes have to be reported on this car

And yes, folks, if you're nearly desititute and win $60,000 in cash and fabulous prizes on
The Price is Right you DO have to pay taxes on it...

I certainly hope La Ley will follow this to its logical conclusion and exclude their illegal alien listeners from the ratings books. Once it is shown they are in 50th place without the illegals as listeners, they won't have to worry about these things because the station will be gone.

Johnny Morgan said:
Also, I wonder if La Ley 107.9's contest rules had a "US citizens only" clause--which I know Clear Channel's rules does contain.

Perhaps, in lieu of proof of U.S. citizenship, you agree to drink 30 gallons of water without soiling youself. I hear that's the new radio contest standard these days. ;)

tenacea73 said:
Perhaps, in lieu of proof of U.S. citizenship, you agree to drink 30 gallons of water without soiling youself. I hear that's the new radio contest standard these days. ;)
Cute.

A "U.S. Citizens only" caluse should solve the potential lawsuit. Also, you have to have a home phone to participate in ratings, and I doubt most illegals do.

gr8oldies said:
A "U.S. Citizens only" caluse should solve the potential lawsuit. Also, you have to have a home phone to participate in ratings, and I doubt most illegals do.

Home phone?
They can't just use a disposable cell for contact information?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom