• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Excitement

xix

Inactive
Inactive User
It seems radio has grown a bit dull in the market. Other than the Buzz flipping what else is new in the market? I'm back from vacation and need an update.

xix said:
It seems radio has grown a bit dull in the market. Other than the Buzz flipping what else is new in the market? I'm back from vacation and need an update.
+1. We could talk about KFBK adding an FM signal again.

xix said:

The more things change...the more they stay the same.

I DID tell my boss I needed a new high back leather chair.

I told him I can't sleep in the low one. ;D

For a top 25 market, this is one of the quietest sections of this site for any new buzz. Sacramento radio is dull for the most part. The status quo, and nothing new in innovation or talent. The TV side of things is busier in this market. We need somebody to make a bold change in Sacramento to stir things up, and put other stations on notice that the "status quo" isn't acceptable here anymore. Who will step to the plate?

Hello:

These's some New "Excitement" on 1420 AM in the Stockton Area right now, Tuesday
1/24/12.

Check out Central Calif Board.

Right now at 4:37 PM it's Old Country from a satellite feed! Hee Haw!! ;D

Yes, that is exciting news at 1420 am in Stockton!

At 1430 am in Sacramento they are now playing international music at nighttime while staking the claim of being Sacramento's #1 international radio station. (and religion on Sundays)

Another energizing piece of news at KJAY: Friday nights 8-10pm DJ Anointed hosts his show, House of SLAP, which is urban gospel hip hop. Fresh, new, and inspiring!

And, on a semi-related note: Sac County Mental Health people are doing a big push to advertise in Sacramento right now - on radio, Twitter, FB, etc. Lots going on in advertising, meaning: the economy is picking up.

That's all I have to share. :-*

nitnitr said:
For a top 25 market, this is one of the quietest sections of this site for any new buzz. Sacramento radio is dull for the most part. The status quo, and nothing new in innovation or talent. The TV side of things is busier in this market. We need somebody to make a bold change in Sacramento to stir things up, and put other stations on notice that the "status quo" isn't acceptable here anymore. Who will step to the plate?

At least on Thursday mornings on 105.5FM, I get to hear about local businesses, the challenges and opportunities they face in the Sacramento area (and California as a whole.)

The host has these "Roundtables," as he calls them where 2 small businesses speak for an hour. Sometimes, I've gotten good deals by stating I heard them on the air.

If it's bold excitement you want per the OP in this thread, I get much more spirited discussion from a local heart-and-soul business owner featured there than some mindless dweeb texting dates as a WalMart Supercenter cashier or rehearsed phrases from blue-shirt corporate drones at the overhyped Galleria Apple Store post Jobs.

Moreover, in an age where people are starved for local content and a desire to support mom-and-pop's, I'm always curious what "economic engine" entities will be featured next. (They, the ubiquitous "they" say that small business is the source of 80%+ job creation; hearing what local enterprises are up to sheds light on this.)

RadioCat said:
At 1430 am in Sacramento they are now playing international music at nighttime while staking the claim of being Sacramento's #1 international radio station. (and religion on Sundays)

Another energizing piece of news at KJAY: Friday nights 8-10pm DJ Anointed hosts his show, House of SLAP, which is urban gospel hip hop. Fresh, new, and inspiring!

That is good news, too.
Too bad the KJAY signal doesn't cover all of Sacramento at night, with just 20 watts ERP.
The signal reaches Davis to the west, but not east past Northgate Boulevard very well.
The KJAY website appears not to be streaming online.

I agree with the 105.5 comments. The host, Mark Montgomery, does a fine job.

In other news, I've been told that 1030AM will see some movement soon. It has an approved CP and is looking at brokered programming, at least in part.

With a 50kW daytime signal, the station will cover Elk Grove, Sacramento, and beyond quite well.

I'm excited to see what will become of this station. We'll see ;)

You know folks, even the news after I posted is bland. What about some innovative programming? Changing to brokered programming and changing power for the signal doesn't mean excitement.

Even though I loathe CW31, the stuff they do on the TV side is different than the other stations in the market. Maybe that can transfer over to a radio side, if a station is bold enough to go to it.

Sorry to admit my ignorance but are there examples of quality brokered programming for a general audience. I know KJAY meets the need of a niche audience but if brokered programming means more sports touts or health products from Purity I'll take a pass.

I agree. But from what I've heard, 1030am will be brokered ethnic programming, (most likely asian, russian). Given it's signal reach, it will reach all of the ethnic groups in town (and beyond).

ChiefOperator said:
I agree. But from what I've heard, 1030am will be brokered ethnic programming, (most likely asian, russian). Given it's signal reach, it will reach all of the ethnic groups in town (and beyond).

Not finding a record of a 1030AM in the Sacto area. Can someone provide a facility ID or call letters?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom