• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No evolution

I know I should be applauding the commercial stations that have popped up doing the smooth jazz format but the ones I have heard are doing the same thing that aged the format out and made it sound old timey. Yeah, the playlists aren't as cluttered with pop songs as the BA format was but the other elements are still the same as they were in 1987, 1997, and 2007. The music is still really slow, soprano sax heavy and mostly in minor keys (semi-dark to dark on the mood code scale), the personalities are still more "voicey" than conversational, and the playlists still focus on singles - which were picked and tested by a company that crashed the format so why replicate their strategy. The Oasis sounds extremely 55-64 and over and even too draggy for a lot of that demo that would be drawn in by a brighter, less draggy music. The Wolf HD isn't streaming so I can't tell with them, the Cleveland Station plays lots of G, Sade and Anita and is really vocal oriented, just like what was there before.

To me this is basically like pulling your leg out of a trap then sticking your leg back in the trap and closing it. To attract even the 45-54 crowd now the focus needs to shift from "smooth and relaxing" to entertaining and uplifting and all the MOR affections need to be dropped. As for music, we really don't know what is a true hit from the last 15 or so years because the process of picking songs and driving them up the chart was so disengaged from audience acceptance of the song. The audience knows and likes these artists so it is not that risky to trust ears and instinct - set up a few listener panels or something to test those instincts on, keep eyes and ears open at live events and start mining the real hits..which may be deeper tracks that the label never jumped on (for example "Silhouette" by Euge Groove was big on our brunch show..even though it was never a "single"..listeners loved it and they knew him and his sound so it wasn't a risky shot

Well said, I am a big advocate of this format as well. Some people feel that going back to a new age feel is what will work like what the Oasis is doing out in New Mexico. I don't think this really attracts very many younger listeners. Of course, I would listen to a station like the Oasis because I love the music but most people my age (20) do not and can't really relate the the new age/older approach.

What I do on my show The Chillout Sessions http://www.mixcloud.com/donald-isaac/ and on my station WBWH http://www.blufftonconnection.com/2012/02/22/wbwh-specialty-show-lineup/ is keep the focus on the instrumentals but sprinkle in a few select unique vocals from younger vocalists such as Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse, Pixie Lott, and Guy Sebastian (which is really a blue-eyed soul/soul approach to vocals for the most part) and I also sprinkle in a few Chill tracks as well. Surprising to me, lots of people in my age range have heard the show and responded positively. Most of them tell me that they have never heard this type of music, but that they really enjoy the show. Just my opinions though.

I'll post the latest playlist from my show below. Please tell me what you think of my show and or station.

The Chillout Sessions with Donald Isaac Playlist for Sunday, February 26th, 2012

Number Artist Album Song Genre Album Year

SEGMENT 1/HOUR 1
Hour 1
1 Najee The Smooth Side Of Soul Dis N' Dat Smooth Jazz 2012
2 Chieli Minucci Night Grooves Don't Make Me Wait Smooth Jazz 2003
3 Bob Baldwin NewUrbanJazz.com 2 / Re-Vibe Re-Vibe Smooth Jazz 2011
4 Raul Midón feat. Trijntje Oosterhuis We've Only Just Begun Where Is The Love Smooth Vocals 2011
5 Michael Lington feat. Lee Ritenour Pure Roadtrip Smooth Jazz 2012
6 Joyce Cooling This Girl's Got To Play Expression Smooth Jazz 2004
SEGMENT 2/HOUR 1
7 Player A Our Own Devices Sleekness Smooth Jazz 2011
8 Alexander Boynton Jr. Doo Bee Doo Bop It Never Rains In Southern California Smooth Jazz+ 2011
(feat. Paul Jackson Jr.)
9 Jestofunk Seventy Miles From Philidelphia Mama Blues Chill 2007
10 Joyce Spencer Sweet Dreams Keep It Simple Smooth Jazz 2010
11 Kim Waters I Want You: Love In The Spirit Of Marvin Smooth Sailing Smooth Jazz 2008
12 Ken Navarro The Test Of Time Message In A Bottle Smooth Jazz 2012

SEGMENT 1/HOUR 2
Hour 2
1 Esperanza Spalding Radio Music Society Black Gold Smooth Vocals 2012
2 Chuck Loeb eBop Smash Smooth Jazz 2003
3 Paul Brown The Funky Joint From The Ground Up (feat. Euge Groove) Smooth Jazz 2012
4 Joss Stone Introducing Joss Stone Bruised But Not Broken Smooth Vocals 2007
5 Keiko Matsui feat. Kirk Whalum The Road Affirmation Smooth Jazz 2011
6 Pixie Lott Young Foolish Happy You Win Smooth Vocals 2011
SEGMENT 2/HOUR 2
7 Nick Colionne Just Come On In Downtown Smooth Jazz/Chill 2003
8 Richard Elliot In The Zone Just A Taste Smooth Jazz 2011
9 Fabiana Passoni Lovin' You - Single Lovin' You Smooth Vocals 2012
10 Demetrius "Krayon" Nabors A Journey Within Part 1 Into The Night Smooth Jazz 2011
11 Ken Navarro The Test Of Time Imagine Smooth Jazz 2012
12 Ken Navarro The Test Of Time Europa Smooth Jazz 2012

You really need to check out Donald's show. WRSG is so appreciative to receive it that we air it on both Monday and Wednesday evenings, beginning at 10 and running until midnight. It's a GREAT way to destress after a hectic day!

Greg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom