• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Active Rocker in South Florida, seriously???

V

vadar

So let me ge this straight. From market #12 there is no active/new rock station here? Big sounds like Coast (when they break out the Fleetwood Mac or Harry Chapin) and the closest rocker is Market #48 West Palm?

Really?

vadar said:
So let me ge this straight. From market #12 there is no active/new rock station here? Big sounds like Coast (when they break out the Fleetwood Mac or Harry Chapin) and the closest rocker is Market #48 West Palm?

You might look at the composition of the market... over 50% Hispanic and 20% African American, and both of those groups are demos where that kind of rock station underindexes significantly.

There is no active rock station in market 14, either.

DavidEduardo said:
vadar said:

You might look at the composition of the market... over 50% Hispanic and 20% African American, and both of those groups are demos where that kind of rock station underindexes significantly.

To quote Bubba The Love Sponge, "There are no rugged white men in Miami." :D

Ain't gonna happen. Quit beating a dead horse. ::) Next topic.

Technically there is. New Rock/Alt. WBGG HD-2. But if it's on HD-2 where almost no one can hear, does it make a sound?

Otherwise you'll have to DX WPBZ, or drive west through the Everglades until Ft. Myers Alternative WJBX comes in.

We don't need no stinkin' active rocker (Always wanted to post that) LOL

I agree no one really needs a "stinkin'" rocker; Perhaps a well programmed and well marketed rocker will perform much better than a "stinkin'" rocker will perform.

Sounds like I wouldn't like your radio :-\ I do like your urban/rhythmic stations. But to each their own, I guess. We are market #10 without a full time urban, or even a real Rhythmic, and you guys have several. Each market is different I suppose.

Well, for those looking for alternative rock on 105.9 HD-2 "Zeta"...gone after less than a month of being Miami/Ft. Lauderdale's only place for full time modern rock. That is now a simulcast of 610 WIOD.

That leaves occasional programming from pea-shooter WKPX in Sunrise and 103.1 the Buzz as the only game in town. Problems are that a) WKPX has a 10-15 mile range at best and b) the felons operating these high powered pirates down here enjoy using 103.1 as a frequency...so where you should get a marginal signal from WPBZ, you get overmodulated Haitian preaching.

What boggles my mind the most is that NOBODY bothers to put it on a HD-2 even though there are several places for it and no pirates have a rock signal...when I hear several english-language pirate stations (103.9 in Ft. Lauderdale is a frequent spot for one...sounds like the Coast with no currents)

I'm sorry, I know whites in South Florida are the minority (this is assuming only white people listen to rock music)...and even in the "whiter" Broward County, many of the whites are 55+ or French-Canadians. Still, there are probably about as many people in rock's target audience here than in...shoot, we will just say Jacksonville, for instance, which has been a very strong rock market for years!

I just wonder why there is no effort to go after a wide open sliver of the radio pie? Why no WPBZ/WEAT flip? Doesn't hurt the West Palm signal really which will be their bread and butter regardless, and you have the added benefit of getting ratings/listeners in Broward with little to no promotion.

I guess if nobody will put a rock station up, I will have to go out and personally sabotage some pirates on 103.1 to pick up the Buzz. Sounds stupid, but I'm currently unemployed and have a decent amount of engineering know-how...why not put it to constructive use ;D

Anybody wanna help out?

Radio-X

What artists are out there in the current modern rock scene(and I don't Metallica, Foo Fighters or the Chili Peppers) that can run in rotation these days and are crossover-friendly.. Buzz has to supplement with 90's hits.

Rock radio artists coming out now are in the underground and urban music with a danceable slant is what the younger demos are catching onto. iTunes downloads tell the tale too well.

I blame the perk-hungry consultants and the spine-less music radio programmers out there.

radiodxrichmond said:
I'm sorry, I know whites in South Florida are the minority (this is assuming only white people listen to rock music)...and even in the "whiter" Broward County, many of the whites are 55+ or French-Canadians.

"Whites" are not in the minority... "non-Hispanic whites" are.

However, not listening to rock is not a Latin thing... all over Latin America there are very successful rock stations, most of them playing English language rock.

radiodxrichmond said:
Well, for those looking for alternative rock on 105.9 HD-2 "Zeta"...gone after less than a month of being Miami/Ft. Lauderdale's only place for full time modern rock. That is now a simulcast of 610 WIOD.

What a dumb move on CC's part. The only reason I can see for this is to try to funnel WHDR's listeners to WBGG instead of the HD2 to prop up their numbers.

jbrasco951 said:
What artists are out there in the current modern rock scene(and I don't Metallica, Foo Fighters or the Chili Peppers) that can run in rotation these days and are crossover-friendly.. Buzz has to supplement with 90's hits.

Rock radio artists coming out now are in the underground and urban music with a danceable slant is what the younger demos are catching onto. iTunes downloads tell the tale too well.

I blame the perk-hungry consultants and the spine-less music radio programmers out there.

As for "crossover friendly" current rock artists...Mumford And Sons, Neon Trees, Muse, Kings Of Leon, Paramore, Nickelback (ugh)....all are getting plenty of play on CHR and Hot AC as well as Modern Rock.

vadar said:
There's a void here. Somebody pleeeease flip.

radiodxrichmond said:

The void will be filled soon...

ZETARadio.com

8)

why is it that there is 6 spanish stations 7 if you include reg. mexican in homestead for 50% of pop but cant spare one freq for a rock station programmed with current rock???????? so if you do the math 8.3% of the 50% get one station to themselves? but if you think about it it gets lower because the young hispanics drift over to 96.5 99.1 100.7 and quite possibly the rest so i think we need to stop the b.s of "miami is 50% Hispanic" as the reason

560QAMFAN said:
why is it that there is 6 spanish stations 7 if you include reg. mexican in homestead for 50% of pop but cant spare one freq for a rock station programmed with current rock???????? so if you do the math 8.3% of the 50% get one station to themselves? but if you think about it it gets lower because the young hispanics drift over to 96.5 99.1 100.7 and quite possibly the rest so i think we need to stop the b.s of "miami is 50% Hispanic" as the reason

You are missing the point...

Miami is 50% Hispanic.
Miami is 20% African American

Neither of these two groups, making up 70% of the population, indexes well on rock, current or otherwise.

WBBG indexes 75% below parity against Blacks and 40% below against Hispanics.

WHDR, prior to the switch, indexed 60% below parity on Blacks and 20% below on Hispanics.

The result is that, to get a decent enough rank position to get on buys, a rock station would have to very much overperform in non-Hispanic whites, which does not happen in South Florida. The numbers just do not indicate that such a format would work well enough to justify itself, as Cox already proved.

I know this is late but.....

This whole argument of Hispanics not liking rock is ridiculous. A good rock station can do very well in Miami. 93 rock did not do well because it had a horrible and limited playlist. But if we had a rock station like wjrr in Orlando or even an alternative station (X station), it may do pretty well. I understand if you go to Hialeah, Little Havana, or Sweetwater all the hispancs there do not like rock music and almost all of them like that reggaeton crap. But if you go to Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Doral, and Kendall, there are many hispanics there that like rock music. Also, most of the cubans do not like rock, but if you speak to many of the South Americans, many of them like rock. It depends on what kind and the class of the hispanic people. If you are talking about the low class ones that live in Little Havana and most of Hialeah, then you are correct, but to say that they represent all hispanics is offensive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom