• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

News is the Top Reason People Still Pay for Live TV

https://civicscience.com/news-is-the-top-reason-people-still-pay-for-live-tv/

Newly released CivicScience data show that 68% of Americans surveyed still pay for some sort of live television programming in one way or another.

But why, you ask?

News. Thirty percent of Americans who pay for live television say a main reason they do so is for local and / or cable news. Watching other programming as it airs and live sporting events are neck and neck for runner up, 23% and 22% of respondents answering these respectively.

The gap between the remaining three reasons is large. Having poor Internet connection, not being able to get out of a contract, and tuning in for competition shows all sit right around 5%.

Here is a study released on why some would continue to pay for Cable TV and its a news factor.

https://civicscience.com/news-is-the-top-reason-people-still-pay-for-live-tv/

Here is a study released on why some would continue to pay for Cable TV and its a news factor.

With a Roku or other similar box, news is free. The broadcast networks and Fox News have their own apps, plus there is NewsOn, which streams local newscasts from all over the country. Quality is variable, and not all stations are with them (especially network O&Os), but broadcasts are there. SkyNews and other international news apps are also available.

Free Pluto TV (on Roku) has several free news channels. Newsy, Cheddar, CNN, CBSN, SKY News,etc

Last edited:
I have Fire and you still need to subscribe to an ISP and a channel platform, such as Sling or YouTubeTV or FuboTV. They all cost abut $65 a month.

I have YouTube TV on Roku. The apps I'm talking about are apart from them. I have apps for NewsOn, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, SkyNews, France24, and a few others. All are free. The only apps that I pay for, other than YTTV, are MLB.TV, NHL Center Ice, and NFL Sunday Ticket.

Aha! Yes I just saw what you're talking about. They're also accessible by Fire.

To be more clear, I should have said that they are separate Roku apps, not part of YTTV.

To be more clear, I should have said that they are separate Roku apps, not part of YTTV.

Same thing with Fire. There's a box that says NEWS on the main screen. Click and you get about 20 options, including all the ones you mentioned. As you say, they're all free. Pick your favorites, and they become choices on your main menu. My cable system doesn't offer Cheddar, but it's available here. I find the production values for Cheddar to be higher than Newsy. Although they're obviously aiming for a young demo. Fox News viewers will be very disappointed by Cheddar!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom