• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New York City Radio Ratings....

Pretty sad that a "Trenton" radio station beats former powerhouse WABC in the 6+ ratings. (I'm guessing the demos for the stations are similar, since they are both mostly talk.)
NJ 101.5 definitely has their act together.

I think the WCBS-FM and Lite-FM do well in the ratings since they do well with people listening in offices. People in the radio business will disagree with me, but i feel that CBS-FM should include some Beatles, Motown, Beach Boys and 60s classics in their music mix. Some music is timeless and appeals to all ages.

Some music is timeless and appeals to all ages.

Nope. I was born not long after John Lennon was shot, and have very limited interest in the Beatles or any of the surf bands of the 60s.

There's maybe six or so Beatles titles that I would put up with, but by and large those aren't the ones that oldies radio used to play in the 90s. (My favorite Beatles track is "Eleanor Rigby", which heard on my mother's records rather than oldies radio).

The key question is not whether a song might appeal to a person, but whether the song is familiar to that person.

i feel that CBS-FM should include some Beatles, Motown, Beach Boys and 60s classics in their music mix.

It's a different format, and would alienate the current listeners. In markets where the format is available, such as Chicago, it gets good numbers, but they're mostly all over 55, and meanwhile the local classic hits station still gets higher numbers with better demos.

Pretty sad that a "Trenton" radio station beats former powerhouse WABC in the 6+ ratings. (I'm guessing the demos for the stations are similar, since they are both mostly talk.)
NJ 101.5 definitely has their act together.

Bernie and Sid show is unlistenable for me. Sid is horrible.

Nope. I was born not long after John Lennon was shot, and have very limited interest in the Beatles or any of the surf bands of the 60s.
In late June of this year, a movie was released about a young Beatles fan who woke up in a world in which nobody had heard of the Beatles. I think that we are not very far from the alternate reality that was depicted in Yesterday. Among the radio stations in New York City, only the classic rock station, WAXQ, plays music by the Beatles. Therefore, unless a New Yorker listens to Q104.3, he or she will likely not hear a Beatles song on commercial terrestrial radio.

Last edited:
They also get played on WFUV. In fact the station did a big 50th anniversary specials on the White Album and Abbey Road.
Honestly, I wasn't sure about WFUV, but thanks for the information. However, WFUV is not an easy station to pick up in Lower Manhattan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom