• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New urban AM in the Twin Cities?

Saw this posting on another message board, supposedly the station has an urban AC format and will be running TJMS. As a former long-time Twin Cities resident I never thought I'd see the day when hip hop KTTP bounced urban AC AM KSGS out of the format about 10 years ago. Of course KTTB no longer exists either. The Twin Cities has never been much good for urban radio. Community urban KMOJ has improved its signal.

1530 AM is a worse signal than 950 was however, it is based in the far Southwestern suburbs. There is no content on this website yet and no stream. I give those behind this new project credit for giving another commercial urban AC a shot.
http://www.magic1530.com/

There was also a shortlived gospel on a weak AM station in the Western Twin Cities metro for a short period back about 5 years ago. If this new station had a better signal in the core of Minneapolis/St. Paul I would be more optimistic. Still, I never thought we would see a commercial urban station in the Twin Cities again. Anxious to hear the new station, hopefully through streaming.

New owners of kttb didnt know how to handle the format, much like others just decided to give up and flip it. smh.

problem with today's listener for music, most of them don't even know AM band exists, or how to change it to AM on their radio.

Alright I finally caught this station by checking out a very low quality audio feed on a video stream. What struck me is that the woman voicing the station appears to be the same person who voiced KSGS AM 950, the last commercial urban in the Twin Cities about 10 years ago. In my view, she is not that good but let's hear it for market continuity. That station was owned by CBS radio, but perhaps some of the same people are involved with this station. The urban AC music mix sounded pretty good. Twin Cities, enjoy it while it lasts. The history of commercial urban radio in the Twin Cities is a fairly long list of stations that lasted a few years with many years in between.

I think this station is still on the air but for how long? Given the history of commercial urbans in the Twin Cities, celebrating a 1 year anniversary was a major achievement.

Haven't seen a live stream on their video feed for at least a few weeks (for awhile there, they were very good about keeping it up every day), and their Facebook page seems to have been taken over by local commercial announcements but very little if anything about songs or programming on the station.

I am on the other side of the metro living in downtown Saint Paul and can't pick up the station off of the air. Oh, and another reason for concern, their website just went dead in the past week or so.

Oh well, I think we can always count on having community KMOJ which now has a better signal into Saint Paul.

When I could hear it by the stream, Magic 1530 itself has been a pretty listenable urban AC with some good classic jams mixed in with the current hits as well as Joyner and Baisden.

While, it is great to have a new winner in Atlanta, it will be sad if the only commercial urban in Minneapolis-St. Paul soon disappears.

Sad to say, this station seems to be suffering quite a few issues. It actually seems to be having trouble staying on the air. And has been off the air for long periods of time in recent weeks. E-mails to contacts listed on the station website bounce back and no one answers the office or studio phone.

I live in the Twin Cities and here is the last air check I was able to capture on January 24, 2013, the station was off the air for several hours on this day as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbF2oiivfk

According to Magic 1530's Facebook page, the station has signed off for good. Yet another urban station is now in the annals of Twin Cities radio history. :'(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom