• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Urban AC - Jacksonville, FL

After listening for the first few hours, Cox is taking an Urban Oldies approach to the new "Hot 106.5", which is good because it distinguishes itself from "V101.5". However, Cox needs to add more 70s, 80s, and 90s R&B tracks that are not played on "V101.5" so they maintain that competitive advantage over them. I believe the number one way to gain an advantage over your opponent is to find out their weaknesses are and address them so you can overtake them. In radio, the same strategy should be applied because the primary objective is to become the #1 station in your market over your competition and gain the ratings and advertising edge over them. I am very excited to see who will win the "Urban AC" battle in the First Coast area and how "V101.5" will respond to their first bonafide challenger ever in the Jacksonville market.

And it is the third station in Jacksonville to use the "Hot" brand and the WHJX callsign too (as in Hot JaCKSonville), so it matches up in spite of heritage calls getting shuffled around.

After listening to Cox's new Urban Oldies station "Hot 106.5" for the past two weeks, I noticed there is one critical flaw with this station, the station's playlist is TOO limited. In fact, they basically play the same 50 songs in rotation, which is not a good sign if you are trying to compete with the heritage Urban AC "V101.5". Eventually, the listening audience, which is growing rapidly now because it is the first new station for the adult urban audience in a long time in Jacksonville, will get tired of hearing the same songs over and over and then the number of listeners will start to decline as a result. Right now, Radio One's "Old School" Urban Oldies stations have a deeper playlist than "Hot 106.5", which isn't saying much because their playlist is fairly limited as well. If the new "Hot 106.5" wants to be successful Urban Oldies station in Jacksonville, they MUST deepen their playlist and play songs that have not been heard on urban radio for 20 or 30 years so that the station will continue to sound "fresh". A good template for an excellent Urban Oldies station is the noncommerical, low power KDEE in Sacramento, CA, which I listen to online occasionally. I was first introduced to this station by someone who posted about how great this station is on this board about a year or two years ago and I concur with him because this station plays R&B music that hasn't been played on the radio, in some cases, for 20 years or more. However, I still believe there is potential for this station to be a success in Jacksonville but they need to deepen and add more variety to their playlist so they won't become a failure in Jacksonville's Urban Oldies vs Urban AC battle.

BTW, the Program Director of "Hot 106.5" is Mr. Clarence Natto, a radio veteran who has worked at Cox's other Urban AC properties, WALR "Kiss 104.1" in Atlanta and WCFB "Star 94.5" in Orlando, where he served as the Marketing and Promotions Director for those stations.

I noticed that "Hot 106.5" has about 5,000 likes on its Facebook page, whereas "V101.5" has just a little under 4,000 likes, which is quite impressive for a station that has been on the air for only about a month now. Based on this fact, I think that the new station will show up very well in the ratings when the next ratings book comes out in July but in order to maintain the success they currently enjoy, they must broaden their playlist show that the station doesn't become boring to the listening audience, which would be detrimental to the station in the long run.

otharadioman said:
I noticed that "Hot 106.5" has about 5,000 likes on its Facebook page, whereas "V101.5" has just a little under 4,000 likes, which is quite impressive for a station that has been on the air for only about a month now. Based on this fact, I think that the new station will show up very well in the ratings when the next ratings book comes out in July but in order to maintain the success they currently enjoy, they must broaden their playlist show that the station doesn't become boring to the listening audience, which would be detrimental to the station in the long run.

As of July 8th, 2013, "Hot 106.5" has over 6,000 likes on Facebook, which is still impressive. We shall see Thursday if this translates into an impressive first ratings book for the new WHJX.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom