• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Tulsa AM....

M

MediaMogul

Has anyone noticed the new application that would move KEOR 1110 AM to Catoosa and change the frequency to 1120?

Obviously with KMOX the chances of getting nighttime coverage are about like the chances of 50 Cent being added to KXOJ's playlist...

So I guess the question is... is it worth buying a station in Atoka, Oklahoma, spending a million dollars or so to move it, just so Tulsa can have another daytimer? Would the sale of the station bring in enough money to justify buying and moving it. It almost seems like you would maybe do a little better than breaking even after the paperwork and the cost of a two tower array.

And then who in the Tulsa market would want a 1kw daytimer, and what format is not already there that would bring in the billings necessary to pay for the station....

But I of course could just be seeing the glass as half empty....

I THINK A NEW AM DAYTIMER IN A CROWDED MARKET LIKE TULSA WOULD BE VERY, VERY RISKY AT BEST. IF I WAS GOING TO GO TO THE EXPENSE OF RELOCATING A STATION, PARTICULARLY AN AM, TO TULSA, I WOULD TAKE A RUN AT BUYING AM 1380 KMUS, WHICH I BELIEVE HAS THEIR TOWER IN SPERRY. IT'S A DISNEY STATION. DON'T KNOW IF IT IS PART OF THE ABC DEAL THAT IS COOKING NOW, BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH TAKING A LOOK AT IT IF YOUR WERE INTERESTED IN AN AM. BUT IF I COULD GET MY HANDS ON ONE OF CC/TULSA'S UNDERPERFORMING FM'S, MAN WOULD I HAVE SOME FUN! WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.

> Has anyone noticed the new application that would move KEOR
> 1110 AM to Catoosa and change the frequency to 1120?
>
> Obviously with KMOX the chances of getting nighttime
> coverage are about like the chances of 50 Cent being added
> to KXOJ's playlist...
>
> So I guess the question is... is it worth buying a station
> in Atoka, Oklahoma, spending a million dollars or so to move
> it, just so Tulsa can have another daytimer? Would the sale
> of the station bring in enough money to justify buying and
> moving it. It almost seems like you would maybe do a little
> better than breaking even after the paperwork and the cost
> of a two tower array.
>
> And then who in the Tulsa market would want a 1kw daytimer,
> and what format is not already there that would bring in the
> billings necessary to pay for the station....
>
> But I of course could just be seeing the glass as half
> empty....
>

KMUS 1380 AM

> I THINK A NEW AM DAYTIMER IN A CROWDED MARKET LIKE TULSA
> WOULD BE VERY, VERY RISKY AT BEST. IF I WAS GOING TO GO TO
> THE EXPENSE OF RELOCATING A STATION, PARTICULARLY AN AM, TO
> TULSA, I WOULD TAKE A RUN AT BUYING AM 1380 KMUS, WHICH I
> BELIEVE HAS THEIR TOWER IN SPERRY. IT'S A DISNEY STATION.
> DON'T KNOW IF IT IS PART OF THE ABC DEAL THAT IS COOKING
> NOW, BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH TAKING A LOOK AT IT IF
> YOUR WERE INTERESTED IN AN AM. BUT IF I COULD GET MY HANDS
> ON ONE OF CC/TULSA'S UNDERPERFORMING FM'S, MAN WOULD I HAVE
> SOME FUN! WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.
>

Well KMUS has already been moved into the market at great expense. It went from being 1kw-day/500w night in Muskogee to something like 7,000 watts in the day and 250 watts night.

I can remember when KMUS was a real hometown radio station airing Rougher football and was full service. It wasn't too awful long ago. It was the sister to KMMY if I remember correctly. The people that had it in the early '90's were broadcasters from Arkansas that thought they could make 97.1 a Tulsa station. They had some of the most profitable small market stations in Arkansas, and the Muskogee investment absolutely bankrupted them forcing them to divest of all their successful radio properties to pay off what they owed on KMUS/KMMY.

This move in of KMUS only took place probably two years ago....

Re: KMUS 1380 AM

Hey, MediaMogul, wasn't KMUS owned by the same people that own KRVT 1270 before the sale of MUS to Disney? I seem to remember them playing an oldies format, or was that KBIX 1490. It's hard for me to imagine that a good local AM can't fly in Muskogee, carrying Roughers football and local news. I also seem to remember the Griffin family was possibly interested in buying KMUS or KBIX. Any thoughts? I really miss the great local stations like KBIX and KMUS. WBBZ is still kickin' in Ponca City - and they get to have the fun of saying "W". I'd rather have a good local AM than some FM jukebox any day. But hey, I'm old fashioned.

> > I THINK A NEW AM DAYTIMER IN A CROWDED MARKET LIKE TULSA
> > WOULD BE VERY, VERY RISKY AT BEST. IF I WAS GOING TO GO
> TO
> > THE EXPENSE OF RELOCATING A STATION, PARTICULARLY AN AM,
> TO
> > TULSA, I WOULD TAKE A RUN AT BUYING AM 1380 KMUS, WHICH I
> > BELIEVE HAS THEIR TOWER IN SPERRY. IT'S A DISNEY STATION.
>
> > DON'T KNOW IF IT IS PART OF THE ABC DEAL THAT IS COOKING
> > NOW, BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH TAKING A LOOK AT IT IF
> > YOUR WERE INTERESTED IN AN AM. BUT IF I COULD GET MY
> HANDS
> > ON ONE OF CC/TULSA'S UNDERPERFORMING FM'S, MAN WOULD I
> HAVE
> > SOME FUN! WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.
> >
>
>
> Well KMUS has already been moved into the market at great
> expense. It went from being 1kw-day/500w night in Muskogee
> to something like 7,000 watts in the day and 250 watts
> night.
>
> I can remember when KMUS was a real hometown radio station
> airing Rougher football and was full service. It wasn't too
> awful long ago. It was the sister to KMMY if I remember
> correctly. The people that had it in the early '90's were
> broadcasters from Arkansas that thought they could make 97.1
> a Tulsa station. They had some of the most profitable small
> market stations in Arkansas, and the Muskogee investment
> absolutely bankrupted them forcing them to divest of all
> their successful radio properties to pay off what they owed
> on KMUS/KMMY.
>
> This move in of KMUS only took place probably two years
> ago....
>

> I THINK A NEW AM DAYTIMER IN A CROWDED MARKET LIKE TULSA
> WOULD BE VERY, VERY RISKY AT BEST. IF I WAS GOING TO GO TO
> THE EXPENSE OF RELOCATING A STATION, PARTICULARLY AN AM, TO
> TULSA, I WOULD TAKE A RUN AT BUYING AM 1380 KMUS, WHICH I
> BELIEVE HAS THEIR TOWER IN SPERRY. IT'S A DISNEY STATION.
> DON'T KNOW IF IT IS PART OF THE ABC DEAL THAT IS COOKING
> NOW, BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH TAKING A LOOK AT IT IF
> YOUR WERE INTERESTED IN AN AM. BUT IF I COULD GET MY HANDS
> ON ONE OF CC/TULSA'S UNDERPERFORMING FM'S, MAN WOULD I HAVE
> SOME FUN! WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.

Or the very underperforming, godawful signal of KAKC. How CC bought that...

> Hey, MediaMogul, wasn't KMUS owned by the same people that
> own KRVT 1270 before the sale of MUS to Disney? I seem to
> remember them playing an oldies format, or was that KBIX
> 1490. It's hard for me to imagine that a good local AM
> can't fly in Muskogee, carrying Roughers football and local
> news. I also seem to remember the Griffin family was
> possibly interested in buying KMUS or KBIX. Any thoughts?
> I really miss the great local stations like KBIX and KMUS.
> WBBZ is still kickin' in Ponca City - and they get to have
> the fun of saying "W". I'd rather have a good local AM than
> some FM jukebox any day. But hey, I'm old fashioned.

You would be correct... I believe there were three stations in this small network that included KMUS 1380 in Muskogee, KRVT 1270 in Claremore, and KMUR 1570 in Pryor. The owner was Reunion Broadcasting who I believe still retains those two and recently sold KAHS 1360 in Wichita.

In recent years ran an all praise and worship format. Then sometime in 2001, they flipped to Adult Standards using the Westwood One format. I know they also ran Oklahoma State Cowboy sports. Then when the move-in was complete, ABC bought KMUS for $1.5 Million, and flipped it to Radio Disney. KRVT still runs the adult standards, and I guess KMUR simulcasts. (I haven't listened in a long time).

KBIX 1490 was a really good oldies station. Some of the guys who had been there for years ran it live and local. They did the Rougher games and really did it up right. Even streamed online in the end. The FM (KHJM?) was 100.3 and played southern gospel. The Stephens family grabbed up the FM so they could flip to the Christian rock format that was popular on Live 101.5, got KBIX with it, and flipped it to it's current simulcast of the Sports Animal in OKC.

Really the only true local station in Muskogee is Bill Payne's KTFX 102.1 which does the Roughers, local news, and country music. I don't know how it stacks up moneywise or ratings-wise against KMMY, but they are giving it their level best. I used to hear Bill on there all the time doing the morning show or the Rougher games.

I hear ya on WBBZ. The last time I listened to them, it was a Saturday afternoon about three years ago and they were playing AC, and promoting the broadcast of a Ponca City basketball game later that afternoon. I think they also were carrying a wrestling match that day. KWON over at Bartlesville is another good one...

This has been way too long and drawn out... but 55.. think about this.. KMUS has seven times the power than this move-in from Atoka that will go on 1120. It only sold for $1.5 Million. First Broadcasting has spent $350,000 already buying KEOR from the people in Atoka. They'll spend another six digit figure moving the thing to Tulsa, building a TWO tower array, and putting in a studio to satisfy FCC requirements. I just can't see a 1,000 watt daytimer bringing in more than say MAYBE in the $600,000-$800,000 range. And then, who is going to want it?? Doesn't seem like enough profit to satisfy all the trouble once it is all said and done...

But if it gives them any hope, Bill Payne got seven digits for that little peashooter on 1340 in Sand Springs.... It at least has nighttime coverage.

> Or the very underperforming, godawful signal of KAKC. How CC
> bought that...

CC has owned 1300 (prevous calls: KOME, KCNW, KXXO, KMOD-AM, KBBJ) since the late 70's when they were just a tiny chain. Because of 1300's medicore signal they have never given it a big promotion budget. Just stick a satellite format on and hope it gets some sales.

The once legendary KAKC (which were on 970) calls are wasting time on that signal. They would be better off moving them to KQLL and doing a KOMA-FM/KONO like promotion with them. I also wonder if CC could upgrade that day pattern like they did with KTBZ 1430's. (from 5K to 25K)

I have been able to pick up KMUS clear in East Texas and north Louisiana in the early morning and during twilight with their 7K day signal. Too bad they couldnt keep that for nights, it would have been a monster down south. BTW how good is KMUS night signal? Must suck with 250K.

> The once legendary KAKC (which were on 970) calls are
> wasting time on that signal. They would be better off moving
> them to KQLL and doing a KOMA-FM/KONO like promotion with
> them. I also wonder if CC could upgrade that day pattern
> like they did with KTBZ 1430's. (from 5K to 25K)

That makes too much sense. And the thing working against them is time. Its been about a quarter century since KAKC (970) was in its prime, and CC seems to be promoting the "Kool" them for all their oldies stations. So, KAKC wouldn't fit the cookie-cutter pattern that CC uses for all their stations.

INTERESTING THAT YOU MENTION KONO. THEY HAVE THE BEST JINGLES I HAVE HEARD IN DECADES! WHAT A GREAT JINGLE PACKAGE. BEST SOUNDING JINGLES SINCE THE DRAKE JINGLES FROM THE 60'S. PERSONALLY, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE STATIONS GET AWAY FROM THE SO-CALLED "IMAGING" THAT THEY DO WITH THE "BEST" THIS AND THE "MOST" THAT, THE LAME "BEST OF THE 60'S (INSERT TWO SONGS HERE), THE 70'S (TWO MORE BURNED OUT SONGS HERE), ETC. JUST PLAY THE MUSIC, BRAND YOUR STATION WITH GREAT SING-ALONG JINGLES (SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS WITH GREAT JINGLES... MUSIC TO MUSIC TO MUSIC). STATIONS COULD BE SO MUCH TIGHTER AND CLEANER THAN THEY ARE NOW, BUT YOU'RE RIGHT, IT WOULD MAKE TOO MUCH SENSE. AND AS MUCH AS I DISLIKE VOICETRACKING (PUT A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK AND THE JOBS THAT WERE LEFT HAD SALARIES POUNDED DOWN SO LOW YOU CAN'T WORK IN THE BUSINESS ANYMORE).. JINGLES TRANSITION THE VOICE-TRACKED STATIONS SMOOTHLY AND SOUND SHARP.

> > The once legendary KAKC (which were on 970) calls are
> > wasting time on that signal. They would be better off
> moving
> > them to KQLL and doing a KOMA-FM/KONO like promotion with
> > them. I also wonder if CC could upgrade that day pattern
> > like they did with KTBZ 1430's. (from 5K to 25K)
>
> That makes too much sense. And the thing working against
> them is time. Its been about a quarter century since KAKC
> (970) was in its prime, and CC seems to be promoting the
> "Kool" them for all their oldies stations. So, KAKC
> wouldn't fit the cookie-cutter pattern that CC uses for all
> their stations.
>

CC HAS ACTUALLY DONE SOME PROMOTING OF BUSINESS TALK KAKC WITH SOME SHORT SPOTS ON MORNING TV. I HAVE SEEN THEM INSERTED ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA ON KTUL. I REMEMBER 1300 WHEN IT WAS KOME IN THE LATE 60S/70S. THE STATION WAS TRULY GREAT. GLENDA SILVEY (NOW OF CHANNEL 6) WAS A HOST ON THE STATION WITH A TALK SHOW AND IT WAS JUST GREAT RADIO. INFORMATIVE TALK WITHOUT ALL THE FINGER-POINTING AND WHINING THAT IS ON TALK NOW. PERSONALLY I CAN'T EVEN LISTEN TO TALK IN TULSA. THIS "BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM" TULSA-BASHING JUST TURNS MY STOMACH AND IS NON PRODUCTIVE IN THE REALM OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AND AS BROADCASTING. I PREDICT SOMEDAY, THE FCC WILL CLAMP DOWN ON SOME OF THIS, PARTICULARLY THE INDECENCY STANDARDS (OR LACK THEREOF). RADIO TALENT ALONG THE LINES OF HOWARD STERN AND OTHER SHOCK JOCKS HAS DONE OUR INDUSTRY NO FAVORS. BUT HEY, I COME FROM A TIME WHEN YOU TOOK XMTR READINGS EVERY HALF HOUR, SOMEONE HAD TO BE IN THE BUILDING AT ALL TIMES, AND YOU ACTUALLY TOOK A TEST TO GET AN FCC LICENSE... HEY, THERE'S AN IDEA. I ENJOY READING EVERYONES COMMENTS. IT'S GREAT BANTER.

> > The once legendary KAKC (which were on 970) calls are
> > wasting time on that signal. They would be better off
> moving
> > them to KQLL and doing a KOMA-FM/KONO like promotion with
> > them. I also wonder if CC could upgrade that day pattern
> > like they did with KTBZ 1430's. (from 5K to 25K)
>
> their stations.
>

> You would be correct... I believe there were three stations
> in this small network that included KMUS 1380 in Muskogee,
> KRVT 1270 in Claremore, and KMUR 1570 in Pryor. The owner
> was Reunion Broadcasting who I believe still retains those
> two and recently sold KAHS 1360 in Wichita.
>
> In recent years ran an all praise and worship format. Then
> sometime in 2001, they flipped to Adult Standards using the
> Westwood One format. I know they also ran Oklahoma State
> Cowboy sports. Then when the move-in was complete, ABC
> bought KMUS for $1.5 Million, and flipped it to Radio
> Disney. KRVT still runs the adult standards, and I guess
> KMUR simulcasts. (I haven't listened in a long time).
>
> KBIX 1490 was a really good oldies station. Some of the guys
> who had been there for years ran it live and local. They did
> the Rougher games and really did it up right. Even streamed
> online in the end. The FM (KHJM?) was 100.3 and played
> southern gospel. The Stephens family grabbed up the FM so
> they could flip to the Christian rock format that was
> popular on Live 101.5, got KBIX with it, and flipped it to
> it's current simulcast of the Sports Animal in OKC.
>
> Really the only true local station in Muskogee is Bill
> Payne's KTFX 102.1 which does the Roughers, local news, and
> country music. I don't know how it stacks up moneywise or
> ratings-wise against KMMY, but they are giving it their
> level best. I used to hear Bill on there all the time doing
> the morning show or the Rougher games.
>
> I hear ya on WBBZ. The last time I listened to them, it was
> a Saturday afternoon about three years ago and they were
> playing AC, and promoting the broadcast of a Ponca City
> basketball game later that afternoon. I think they also were
> carrying a wrestling match that day. KWON over at
> Bartlesville is another good one...
>
> This has been way too long and drawn out... but 55.. think
> about this.. KMUS has seven times the power than this
> move-in from Atoka that will go on 1120. It only sold for
> $1.5 Million. First Broadcasting has spent $350,000 already
> buying KEOR from the people in Atoka. They'll spend another
> six digit figure moving the thing to Tulsa, building a TWO
> tower array, and putting in a studio to satisfy FCC
> requirements. I just can't see a 1,000 watt daytimer
> bringing in more than say MAYBE in the $600,000-$800,000
> range. And then, who is going to want it?? Doesn't seem like
> enough profit to satisfy all the trouble once it is all said
> and done...
>
> But if it gives them any hope, Bill Payne got seven digits
> for that little peashooter on 1340 in Sand Springs.... It at
> least has nighttime coverage.
>

Didn't KMUS and KBIX-FM (Now KTFX-FM) carry an Urban format for a brief period in the early to mid 90's on 1380 and 102.1 that only covered Muskogge? I remember hearing about that from someone saying that KMUS carried an Urban AC format and simulcasted with KBIX-FM in different dayparts and the FM side skewed a little bit more of a younger Urban format. Does anyone know who owned the station at the time when it was Urban?

> their stations.

Yeah sadly it wouldnt. Its a shame that Tulsa is now dominated with cookie-cutter formats and boring logos - KQLL's been calling themseves "Cool Oldies" for over a decade now.

KAKC's prime was the 60's to the early 70's. They started faltering to KELi in the mid 70's and along with KTFX "Superfox 103" short success did the Rockin' 97 in by early 1978. It was a big shock to me when they flipped to MOR and later became KCFO-AM. The calls wound up on 1300 when CC flipped it to ABC oldies around 1985. I wish CC would drop them and some other broadcaster in the Tulsa market would snatch them up for a FM music format. Like KEBC in OKC CC's is just hording them on weak AM's to keep other broadcasters from using them.

KRMG and KAKC are the only Tulsa call letters that date back to the 40's that are still on the AM band. Dont know how long KMUS has been around. Glad Disney kept that one.. K-Mouse

> Didn't KMUS and KBIX-FM (Now KTFX-FM) carry an Urban format
> for a brief period in the early to mid 90's on 1380 and
> 102.1 that only covered Muskogge? I remember hearing about
> that from someone saying that KMUS carried an Urban AC
> format and simulcasted with KBIX-FM in different dayparts
> and the FM side skewed a little bit more of a younger Urban
> format. Does anyone know who owned the station at the time
> when it was Urban?

I don't know about KMUS, but I do know KBIX-FM 102.1 was briefly known as "102 Jamz" in the early 90's, and, yes, it only targetted Muskogee. As I recall, the station did not broadcast in stereo, but was a live and local product. I don't think the format lasted very long. The station was originally supposed to be a simulcast of KBIX 1490, when it was still a country format, but Fred Weinberg of KTRT 1270 got it to simulcast KTRT. I don't remember the simulcast as lasting very long. The station went dark and returned as "102 Jamz." Jamz went dark as well. It returned to the air in the Summer of 1995 as KRQZ "Cruisin 102," which aired Jones oldies, and later went to Westwood One classic rock as "K-Rocks 102" before being sold to Payne, who kept it rock for a year or two, before flipping it to KTFX-FM in 1999 after he upgraded 102.3 and sold it to Cox.

KMUS was at one time KLUE, which aired crossover country and oldies in the late 80's. The old KLUE 1380 was co-owned with CHR KRLQ 97.1, which became KKWK and simulcasted the oldies format on KLUE "Quick 97 and Clue 1380" for about a year before switching to AC. I believe it was 1989 or 1990 when KLUE became KMUS. KLUE kept oldies after KKWK went AC, and I believe it kept oldies after changing calls to KMUS. After KKWK became KMMY, KMUS was sold, and I remember it being off-air for awhile. It very well may have been some derivative of urban, but it was only for a brief period. Like I said, 102 Jamz didn't last long at all. I'm not sure when KMUS 1380 resumed broadcasting after being dark or what it aired.

> So I guess the question is... is it worth buying a station
> in Atoka, Oklahoma, spending a million dollars or so to move
> it, just so Tulsa can have another daytimer?
> But I of course could just be seeing the glass as half
> empty....

This is being done to get KCLE 1140 in Cleburn closer to the Dallas/Ft. Worth market on 1110. KEOR will be moved to 1120 Catoosa, and KJSA Mineral Wells, TX will be shuffled to a Minneapolis suburb on 1200 if First has its way.

Aren't you thinking of 102.3 running urban in the early 90's. For some reason, the calls currently escape me...

And hasn't KMMY been trying to rimshot Tulsa for sometime? I thought I read they have a CP with the FCC to increase power, and they recently acquired broadcasting rights for Oilers hockey. I still can't pick up 97.1 in my car, too much bleed over from KMOD.

> > Didn't KMUS and KBIX-FM (Now KTFX-FM) carry an Urban
> format
> > for a brief period in the early to mid 90's on 1380 and
> > 102.1 that only covered Muskogge? I remember hearing about
>
> > that from someone saying that KMUS carried an Urban AC
> > format and simulcasted with KBIX-FM in different dayparts
> > and the FM side skewed a little bit more of a younger
> Urban
> > format. Does anyone know who owned the station at the time
>
> > when it was Urban?
>
> I don't know about KMUS, but I do know KBIX-FM 102.1 was
> briefly known as "102 Jamz" in the early 90's, and, yes, it
> only targetted Muskogee. As I recall, the station did not
> broadcast in stereo, but was a live and local product. I
> don't think the format lasted very long. The station was
> originally supposed to be a simulcast of KBIX 1490, when it
> was still a country format, but Fred Weinberg of KTRT 1270
> got it to simulcast KTRT. I don't remember the simulcast as
> lasting very long. The station went dark and returned as
> "102 Jamz." Jamz went dark as well. It returned to the air
> in the Summer of 1995 as KRQZ "Cruisin 102," which aired
> Jones oldies, and later went to Westwood One classic rock as
> "K-Rocks 102" before being sold to Payne, who kept it rock
> for a year or two, before flipping it to KTFX-FM in 1999
> after he upgraded 102.3 and sold it to Cox.
>
> KMUS was at one time KLUE, which aired crossover country and
> oldies in the late 80's. The old KLUE 1380 was co-owned
> with CHR KRLQ 97.1, which became KKWK and simulcasted the
> oldies format on KLUE "Quick 97 and Clue 1380" for about a
> year before switching to AC. I believe it was 1989 or 1990
> when KLUE became KMUS. KLUE kept oldies after KKWK went AC,
> and I believe it kept oldies after changing calls to KMUS.
> After KKWK became KMMY, KMUS was sold, and I remember it
> being off-air for awhile. It very well may have been some
> derivative of urban, but it was only for a brief period.
> Like I said, 102 Jamz didn't last long at all. I'm not sure
> when KMUS 1380 resumed broadcasting after being dark or what
> it aired.
>

> Aren't you thinking of 102.3 running urban in the early
> 90's. For some reason, the calls currently escape me...

Nope. KTOW-FM 102.3 ran urban as "Mix 102.3" beginning in January 1991 and lasting until the fall of 1995. I went to high school at BTW at the time, and I used to hang out at KBLK 1550 when I could (usually during driver's ed class), and I remember some of my friends from KBLK went to KTOW-FM as 1550 had just been taken back over by KXOJ. I first noticed the format change of Mix 102.3 to classic country KTFX right after the 1995 OU/Texas game when I began flipping the dial. I called the old Mix 102.3 request line. The jock on 1340 answered and told me the change happened recently and that Bill Payne and company had taken over the station. Prior to that, the people at Cust-O-Fab in Sand Springs owned KTOW AM/FM. They bought the AM from, I believe, Roy Clark and signed on the FM themselves. The station was basically purchased as a toy for their son, who was blind. KBIX-FM, on the other hand, ran urban as "102 Jamz" for a very brief period the early 1990's, having signed on after Mix 102.3 launched its urban format. It signed on as a talk station simulcasting KTRT 1270 in 1992. I actually had a job at the Asian American Center, which was down the walkway from them when they were at 21st and Garnett, at the time they signed on, and I spoke with them the day they first launched 102.1. I was even in the control room talking with the board op when Weinberg called to tell him to sign 1270 off at midnight as required but to leave 102.1 on-air as the station was going 24 hours. 102.1 did very little for KTRT, and it was dropped rather quickly and suddenly. Urban happened in either 1992 or '93 because the station was silent for a little while after the KTRT simulcast was dropped. By the way, I checked my M Street Directory from 1993, and it confirms that KMUS 1380 was urban AC and KBIX-FM was urban that year. RJR Broadcasting was the owner.

> And hasn't KMMY been trying to rimshot Tulsa for sometime? I
> thought I read they have a CP with the FCC to increase
> power, and they recently acquired broadcasting rights for
> Oilers hockey. I still can't pick up 97.1 in my car, too
> much bleed over from KMOD.

I'm not sure. I haven't lived in Tulsa for quite some time. I quit living there full time in 1993, and I left completely in 1996. I still have family there, including my parents, who are likely to be moving in a few years, and my sister. So, I still visit, though only a couple or three times a year. I know KMMY used to never identify itself as a Tulsa station, but I, too, understand it has filed to upgrade its coverage into Tulsa a little bit. I always used to find my home stereo and a good car radio could get 97.1 unless there were some unusual environmental conditions.

> This is being done to get KCLE 1140 in Cleburn closer to the
> Dallas/Ft. Worth market on 1110. KEOR will be moved to 1120
> Catoosa, and KJSA Mineral Wells, TX will be shuffled to a
> Minneapolis suburb on 1200 if First has its way.
>

That makes a lot more sense...

Kent, would this set some type of a record for a long distance move-in??

> Kent, would this set some type of a record for a long
> distance move-in??

Good question! I'd have to think it would be one of the longest distance move-ins if not the longest. I know Clear Channel tried to move a station from Ohio, possibly WCHO, to North Carolina to block another operator from getting 700 and potentially causing problems with WLW. I'm not sure if that ever happened or not, though. Also, KBMV 1310 Birch Tree, MO requested a move from Birch Tree to the Las Vegas area and another move from Birch Tree to Salt Lake City in the last major change filing window. That's at least as far as Dallas to Minneapolis if not farther.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom