• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Standards Satellite Format

Waitt Radio Networks in Omaha is now syndicating "The Lounge" adult standards format, which has been on 1490/KOMJ in Omaha for the past few months.

Waitt doesn't use the traditional satellite method... instead the music is on the local station's computer and they send out voicetracks, including three each hour unique to the local station. One is the local weather, the others are whatever the station submits, such as promos, community calendar announcements, etc.

Here's the description of the format from the WRN website:

Format Summary
The Lounge is the new sound of adult standards targeting the professional 25-54
year old audience.
The Lounge offers over 6 decades of pop standards and classic songs from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin,
The Carpenters, Tony Bennett, and Barbra Streisand.
Our "new sound" from artists like Rod Stewart, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, and Jane Monheit, makes it
the perfect format for your distinguished audience who realize great music is timeless.

Sample Hour
Downtown Petula Clark
Call Me Irresponsible Michael Buble
Come Softly To Me Fleetwoods
Take Love Easy Nancy WIlson
You'll Never Find... Lou Rawls
Where Is The Love Roberta FlackDonny Hathaway
It Must Be Him Vikki Carr
Chariots Of Fire Vangelis
So Far Away Carole King
Stardust Nat King Cole
Exactly Like You Diana Krall
The Good Life Tony Bennett & Billy Joel
Big Spender Bette Midler
That's Life Frank Sinatra
Up Up and Away 5th Dimension
Lollipops And Roses Jack Jones
We're All Alone Rita Coolidge
Spanish Harlem Ben E. King

It looks to me like they are on the right track. It is very similar to what we have been doing in East Texas for several years. The sample play-list gets a 90% by our standards. That's pretty good, since either of us could be plus or minus 20 percent at any time. The big news is that this format appeals to lots of people who are not in the dreaded 50+ demographic. The over 50 crowd likes it too, but it is not your grandfather's radio station.

www.kzqx.com

I like it.

Dial Global has moved too far into adult contemporary territory, but at least they're not anything like Pointless Classics. The good news is that Dial Global has its good days. Today was one.

It's pretty good, but there are some boner records on The Lounge. Just heard Toni Braxton - Another Sad Love Song on there the other day, which sounded absolutely ridiculous.

buggo1 said:
It's pretty good, but there are some boner records on The Lounge. Just heard Toni Braxton - Another Sad Love Song on there the other day, which sounded absolutely ridiculous.
Toni Braxton?

That sounds like my Worthless Classics affiliate during their second chimpanzee period. When they went local they were playing the likes of "Un-break My Heart". And depriving us of the final years of Joe Lacina weekdays.

vchimpanzee said:
Dial Global has moved too far into adult contemporary territory, but at least they're not anything like Pointless Classics. The good news is that Dial Global has its good days. Today was one.

I too have to sit through AC garbage on my Dial Global affiliate. Now, regarding the good stuff, last week, I heard "You, You, You" by the Ames Brothers, a song I thought I'd never hear again. Another song I heard that makes me very happy is "Clemontine" by Bobby Darin. Another precious gem I heard is "I've Got You Under My Skin" by Steve Lawrence. "Manhattan" by Ella Fitzgerald is another song I heard that nicely took me by surprise. Today, I heard "With Pen In Hand" by Vikki Carr. Those good songs make me wish that the folks at Dial Global would remove the AC songs from their playlist and re-introduce the big band artists they used to play 15 years ago when the format was carried by Westwood One. Artists like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Dick Haymes, Count Basie, Billy May, Frankie Laine, etc., are artists that should be played, not Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Vanessa Williams, Steve Perry, and other AC fare. Right now, Dial Global Adult Standards skews toward an Easy Listening station.

Ivan Badget said:
vchimpanzee said:

I too have to sit through AC garbage on my Dial Global affiliate. Now, regarding the good stuff, last week, I heard "You, You, You" by the Ames Brothers, a song I thought I'd never hear again. Another song I heard that makes me very happy is "Clemontine" by Bobby Darin. Another precious gem I heard is "I've Got You Under My Skin" by Steve Lawrence. "Manhattan" by Ella Fitzgerald is another song I heard that nicely took me by surprise. Today, I heard "With Pen In Hand" by Vikki Carr. Those good songs make me wish that the folks at Dial Global would remove the AC songs from their playlist and re-introduce the big band artists they used to play 15 years ago when the format was carried by Westwood One. Artists like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Dick Haymes, Count Basie, Billy May, Frankie Laine, etc., are artists that should be played, not Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Vanessa Williams, Steve Perry, and other AC fare. Right now, Dial Global Adult Standards skews toward an Easy Listening station.

I totally agree. If you listen to our station, www.kzqx.com you will hear the artists you mentioned, including Bobby Darin's Clementine, the Ames Brothers, etc.,but you won't hear any of the soft rock stuff, like Billy Joel, etc. Not that they are bad artists, but they belong in a different format.

The people in Longview, Texas seem to like it, Big Bands and all.

Ivan Badget said:
The good news is that at least their AC isn't as bad as Useless Classics, though they do lean more contemporary on Dial Global from time to time than even Pointless Classics. ENYA??? And "Colors of the Wind"?

I heard "Foolish Heart" by Steve Perry followed by "Secret Love" by Doris Day. Someone call Tommy Lee Jones! Harrison Ford has escaped!

Re: Enya - I'm thoroughly sick of "Only Time," but I actually don't mind "Orinoco Flow." The thing I hate about it is that Dial Global for some reason chopped out pretty much the entire song after the semi-instrumental break! It's about a quarter shorter than the single edit (which is itself a fifth or so shorter than the album version) and sounds horrid.

ChrisInMI said:
Re: Enya - I'm thoroughly sick of "Only Time," but I actually don't mind "Orinoco Flow." The thing I hate about it is that Dial Global for some reason chopped out pretty much the entire song after the semi-instrumental break! It's about a quarter shorter than the single edit (which is itself a fifth or so shorter than the album version) and sounds horrid.
I don't mind "Orinoco Flow".

My station has a tendency to join songs in progress. The weather makes the commercial break run long. It's not really the fault of the Employment Security Commission Report (job listings) or A Senior Moment. They're set up to run during the commercial breaks.

We had a news bulletin this morning warning people to stay away from where there was a wreck, but fortunately it was during Lionel Richie's "Penny Lover".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom