• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Happenings in South Florida

-- In addition to Wild 95.5 dropping Elvis Duran, and voice tracking Mack, Nina, and Nick, the afternoon hosts on WHYI Y-100 100.7, for the morning drive show on Wild 95.5 WLDI in Fort Pierce for the West Palm Market . . . .

-- Kool 105.5’s morning show with Mo and Sally in West Palm Beach adding 95.3 WOLZ in Fort Myers . . .

--West Palm Beach is getting Brooke & Jubal in place of Chelsea and Tim. Alpha Media is pretty big on the syndicated Brooke & Jubal Morning Show from Premiere. They are running it on their stations in Portland, Seattle, San Antonio, and Peoria – on both country and CHR stations as one-size-fits-all morning show.

B & J are even on in Biloxi on a Hip-Hop station and a Hot AC in Louisville, Kentucky – and now they are on another Alpha station, WIRK. So, Chelsea and Tim Tiny Burger are out at Country WIRK 103.1 and replaced by Brooke & Jubal. Does anyone think its probably all in a cost cutting move by Alpha, like when they got rid of the Sid Rosenberg show on 640 AM WMEN?

-- Big 105.9 WBGG hired Dave Hill as it’s new PD and Night Time Jock to replace Micheal “Mud” Gross, who left back in April. Hill was out in Portland, worked in Albany at WQBK, WMRQ Hardford and WIYY Baltimore. WBGG is #10 overall. Ratings went up during last four books from 3.0 (back in April when Mud left), to 3.2 and most recently to a 3.7 (without a PD, but Alex Tear was overseeing things).

But Hill never reported to work or took over the 7 to 12 pm shift. Big Rig has taken over nights . . . and the PD for WINZ and WIOD, Grace Blazer, is BIG 105.9's new PD . . . and starting this past Sunday, the 18th, the started introducing pop songs into the format, and now, have removed all references to classic rock. Looks like, in the absence of Magic 102.7, Big is now a classic hits outlet playing, "The best of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.'' Modern English "Stop the World and Melt with You" in the same set as "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, you bet! Listener chatter on their FB page is in the negative.

Grace Blazer comes from Boston's WTKK. She left the talk outlet when it flipped to rhythmic AC. She was also at WPHT in Philadelphia. She got the job at WINZ and WOID when Ken Charles to a VP of programming job at IHeart's Sacrmento cluster.

-- Zoo Communications, who run the EDM Revolution 93.5 W228BY Miami for I Heart purchased 93.5 The Bull W228BV from Reach Communications. Right now, Zoo also runs/operates the Revolution EDM format on 104.7 W284CS Miami and the “other” 93.5 WZFL in Islamorada/Key Largo. It is speculated that it will be the end of the Bull in Miami/Fort Lauderdale and the EDM from 93.5 Miami will be carried on 93.5 Fort Lauderdale. It is planned to carry 93.9 WMIA HD 2 (not sure what format that is). Sold for $410,000 bucks.

-- JVC Media is taking their “The Talk” branding of their West Palm Beach AM station WSWN to Gainsville, on their FM at 104.9, now know as “104.9 The Talk of Gainesville.” It’s a class A rimshot that has had hard time finding an audience as Smooth 104.9, and it was Party 104.9 before that. Like WSWN, WYCG is going to carry Imus in the Morning and Brian Kilmeade in the middays. Does anyone think its sad that FM’s are now going the way of AMs – time brokering infomercial programming. Guess they have to, times are tough for radio. The days of tall sticks in big fields are over, as they say.

-- Spanish Broadcasting System flipped WRMA 95.7 from its Spanish Hot AC to Cuban Hip Hop. Things were so bad with the Spanish Hot AC, it wasn’t even publishing its ratings/not showing up in the books. Ouch. It’s gonna play Reggaeton / Latin Hip Hop mix. They are talking about “10 main Cuban artists in the format” and “there are over 100 songs in the format.” A format with only 100 songs? That sounds a little bit too tight for comfort. SBS also operates Zeta 92.3 WCMQ which is the highest rated of their three Miami stations with a 4.8 share in July and came in #5. They also run WXDJ El Zol 106.7 and of course, the non-rated WRMA. Does anyone thing there are simply too many Spanish stations in the market?

-- Another Spanish flip . . . iHeartMedia has relaunched Spanish Hot AC “Mega 94.9” WMGE Miami as “Tú 94.9“. Enrique Santos will join the station starting Monday, October 3. He exited Univision’s “Mix 98.3” WRTO earlier this September. In addition to hosting mornings at WMGE, Santos is als Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of the company’s new iHeartLatino division. His program will also be syndicated nationally via Premiere Radio Networks. Prior to joining WRTO in 2008, Santos was on SBS’ “El Zol 95.7” WXDJ.

-- KXBD 1480 AM in Dallas, which was part of the now defunct James Crystal Radio, Inc, just went back on the air with full time Indian (India) music with no announcers or spots. It was playing classic country and running the same old ID they used when they were country. Dallas is the fifth largest market, with four Regional Mexican stations and three Spanish variety Christian stations. So, going with music from India is an interesting way to go to create a unique niche.

As for the other in limbo JCR property, WFLL 1400 (which was classic country, then Brazilian, until it went dark) – as of 7/14/2016 according to the FCC database, it again extended its extension to remain silent authority (STA) and shows construction permit in place (which has been discussed, is a big to get onto one of the WEXY 1520 towers.

-- Took nine months, but Spam is out at as the MD and afternoon host. That’s rough, considering he was at WHFS Washington/Baltimore for 16 years. Entercom was advertising on their site and on All Access for a new Music Director. They finally got a new MD this week of 9/18, Zach McHugh, who was known as Vaughn on 98.7 Modern Rock in Wilmington, NC.

However, no new PD or MD for WMXJ 102.7 The Beach. John O’Connell was officially hired for double duty as the PD for both the Shark and The Beach (to replace Patti Moreno. Apparently, John’s doing a good job at the Beach. An Entercom press release talked about the station’s cume growing to 953,000.

But the Shark seems a bit flat. Its #21 overall with a 1.6 to 1.7 – which no better, and even worse, when it was simulcasting the sports from 790 AM the Ticket in a failed bid to rebrand as an FM sports station. And, in evenings and weekends, they have the displaced Spanish, from afternoon’s at 93.5 The Bar, at the station.

-- Reach sold another translator. 94.5 W233AP Oakland Park to Edgewater Broadcasting for $50,000. It going to carry their religions format from 89.1 WLOG Markleysburg PA in South Florida. Dpes anyone think this is odd. . . aren't translator supposed to be "local" to the station it translates? There is an opinion about the rules for translators being poorly written, riddled with "loopholes" that allow non profits and churches to create "mini radio networks" via translators. Thought?

Last edited:

-- Zoo Communications, who run the EDM Revolution 93.5 W228BY Miami for I Heart purchased 93.5 The Bull W228BV from Reach Communications. Right now, Zoo also runs/operates the Revolution EDM format on 104.7 W284CS Miami and the “other” 93.5 WZFL in Islamorada/Key Largo. It is speculated that it will be the end of the Bull in Miami/Fort Lauderdale and the EDM from 93.5 Miami will be carried on 93.5 Fort Lauderdale. It is planned to carry 93.9 WMIA HD 2 (not sure what format that is). Sold for $410,000 bucks.

-- Spanish Broadcasting System flipped WRMA 95.7 from its Spanish Hot AC to Cuban Hip Hop. Things were so bad with the Spanish Hot AC, it wasn’t even publishing its ratings/not showing up in the books. Ouch. It’s gonna play Reggaeton / Latin Hip Hop mix. They are talking about “10 main Cuban artists in the format” and “there are over 100 songs in the format.” A format with only 100 songs? That sounds a little bit too tight for comfort. SBS also operates Zeta 92.3 WCMQ which is the highest rated of their three Miami stations with a 4.8 share in July and came in #5. They also run WXDJ El Zol 106.7 and of course, the non-rated WRMA. Does anyone thing there are simply too many Spanish stations in the market?

But the Shark seems a bit flat. Its #21 overall with a 1.6 to 1.7 – which no better, and even worse, when it was simulcasting the sports from 790 AM the Ticket in a failed bid to rebrand as an FM sports station. And, in evenings and weekends, they have the displaced Spanish, from afternoon’s at 93.5 The Bar, at the station.

1) THANK GOD. Revolution is the only music station I listen to on the radio and its hard to hear it at 93.5 where I live so I have to switch to 104.7 so now having it at 93.5 in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will help improve the 93.5 signal, big time! And if that's true... in the end, 93.5 in MIA-FTL, 93.9 WMIA-HD2, 100.7 WHYI-HD2 and 104.7 FTL.

2) Nobody cared about it and it sucks for my mom, who liked their morning show. But for me, I didn't care. Glad the station crashed and burned to death and it has been doing worse than ever, ever since El Zol left the weaker 95.7 for the stronger 106.7

3) Sucks that they took off The Ticket for this crap. I wish they put The Ticket back so that I can listen to Dan LeBatard/Stugotz on FM again. Never have been a fan of Alternative music on there and tbh, I think EDM Music would've been better on that station and I think ratings for 104.3 would've shot up. So can Revolution take over 104.3? I wouldn't mind at all.

-

WRMA was certainly showing up in the books. While it was the #6 Spanish language FM out of a field of 6, it definitely appeared in the Nielsen book with 25-54 shares in the 1.5 to 2.3 range.

Those "100 songs" propelled the station to mid 4-share to 5 share numbers in the two weeks it has been on, ranking #3 of the 6 Spanish language FMs almost instantly, just behind WAMR and WRTO.

A core library of 100 songs or less has been the staple of Top 40 radio for the last 64 years. Many, including the legendary WQAM, played even fewer songs.

There are 30 shares for the Spanish language FM stations in 25-54. If anything, there is room for another station or two in that segment.

Last edited:
-
-- KXBD 1480 AM in Dallas, which was part of the now defunct James Crystal Radio, Inc, just went back on the air with full time Indian (India) music with no announcers or spots. It was playing classic country and running the same old ID they used when they were country. Dallas is the fifth largest market, with four Regional Mexican stations and three Spanish variety Christian stations. So, going with music from India is an interesting way to go to create a unique niche.

Dallas has 9 FM signals (excluding translators and LPFMs) in Spanish, including 3 run by Liberman, 4 by Univision (two of which are simulcasts), 1 from CBS and one FrankenFM on 87.7.

There are several variants of the 4 basic formats of grupero, norteño, contemporary and classic hits.

On AM, there are 10 signals of varying grades doing Spanish language programming, with formats ranging from Sports and Tejano to a half dozen varieties of religious programming including Teaching and Preaching and Contemporary Christian

Unfortunately, I was not expressing my personal opinion, regarding WRMA "showing up in the book" and the "100" songs" and the "too many Spanish stations" comments. Its pretty much a verbatim (with me slightly tweaking the text, since you can't directly cut n' paste nor link the competing sites in here) post from a writer(s) at another, competing radio industry website(s). Same deal with the opinions on the Dallas market regarding its size, the mix of Mexican Spanish stations, and the India population. I am just a messenger, of some interesting news regarding some South Florida stations, and the opinions of their recent actions and changes at said stations, expressed by others more knowledgeable than I. I did find their points interesting and valid. You'll have to take up any inaccuracies with them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I was not expressing my personal opinion, regarding WRMA "showing up in the book" and the "100" songs" and the "too many Spanish stations" comments. Its pretty much a verbatim (with me slightly tweaking the text, since you can't directly cut n' paste nor link the competing sites in here) post from a writer(s) at another, competing radio industry website(s).

Then you should have noted that you found this on another site, as the way it stands it looks to any reader like you are the author.

Same deal with the opinions on the Dallas market regarding its size, the mix of Mexican Spanish stations, and the India population. I am just a messenger, of some interesting news regarding some South Florida stations, and the opinions of their recent actions and changes at said stations, expressed by others more knowledgeable than I. I did find their points interesting and valid. You'll have to take up any inaccuracies with them.

I think others are more knowledgeable of the English language stations, so I did not comment there.

But if the source were so inaccurate on the other points as it is on the two areas that I commented on, the whole analysis is totally whack.

As an example, the criticism aimed at WRMA about "100 songs" neglects the history of music radio and the format that "saved" the industry from the onslaught of Post-Freeze TV: Top 40. For the first decade or so, those stations did what the name implies: they played 40 songs, over and over and over. And in some markets they got shares as high as 50 or 60. And many of today's CHRs have not many more than 100 core songs!

The fact that the original writer thinks WRMA did not show in the ratings demonstrates a lack of knowledge of radio that is, to say the least, monumental. And to suggest there are too many Spanish language stations when in the sales demos just 6 stations average, each over a 5 share per station is further proof.

Since the article is mostly about Miami, the total and absolute knowledge of the Dallas Hispanic market is somewhat forgivable, but, again, the writer could not even get the principal formats right.

I shudder at the likely inaccuracies of the rest of the piece.

Last edited:
I am wondering this "Big" announcement that Waxy-790 the ticket and 102.7 the Beach have been advertising all week. They want you to sign up on their websites to know before it is announced. Could it be that the Heat will have their games on both AM and FM again?

Any ideas?

1) THANK GOD. Revolution is the only music station I listen to on the radio and its hard to hear it at 93.5 where I live so I have to switch to 104.7 so now having it at 93.5 in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale will help improve the 93.5 signal, big time! And if that's true... in the end, 93.5 in MIA-FTL, 93.9 WMIA-HD2, 100.7 WHYI-HD2 and 104.7 FTL.
Try WHYI-HD2, 100.7 HD-2.
You should be able to hear Revolution throughout most of south Florida that way.
WMIA-HD2 is the Bull, sounds like maybe that will go on 104.7.

Try WHYI-HD2, 100.7 HD-2.
You should be able to hear Revolution throughout most of south Florida that way.
WMIA-HD2 is the Bull, sounds like maybe that will go on 104.7.

I think Zoo will continue to own 104.7 FM so it sounds like The Bull is going away for good. Revolution is gonna have multiple signals.

And I have a portable HD Radio for my home but not HD Radio on my car, so 93.5 and 104.7 FM are the only ones I have to deal with for now.

I am wondering this "Big" announcement that Waxy-790 the ticket and 102.7 the Beach have been advertising all week. They want you to sign up on their websites to know before it is announced. Could it be that the Heat will have their games on both AM and FM again?

Any ideas?

Speaking of the Beach 102.7, and the demise of Magic 102.7 . . . and "big" (though you didn't mean "Big 105.9) . . .

It sounds like IHeartMedia is trying to create a national brand of a classic hits hybrid with BIG. Of course, we know about Big 105.9’s PD changes that preceded the change . . . and probably led to Mud being let go, and Dave Hill being hired, the before even reporting to work, being let go.

Starting last Sunday, the 18th, the music started changing. BIG was still ID’ing as “South Florida’s Classic Rock,” but, starting playing LOTS of 80s new wave ("Your Love, by the Outfield and two Men at Work tunes stood out), 90s alterna-Golds . . . even Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground” and “Superstitious” in the same sets with the same old Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, Foreigner. They even pulled out “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” from Billy Joel, which Big never played as a “classic rocker.” By Wednesday, the “classic rock” tag was all gone. Lots of “what the hell” moments from Sunday to Wednesday, listening to what and where this was all going. They even cancelled the popular, long running “Get the Led Out.” Few bits of chatter on their FB; listeners aren’t please.

Before the format flip (well, “tweak”) between every-other-song, day-in-day-out, was the same two-voiced, female/male sweeper. “South Florida’s Classic Rock, Big 105.9 . . . an IHeartRadio Station” (I am in the camp that believes listeners could care less as to whom “owns” the radio station, and it never ends up in a diary), but now, that sweeper is gone. All references to “classic rock” are gone. Now, they have two ID’s (the ones I heard, at least, it’s seems only two) --

The one just says, in booming voice, “Big.”
The other “This is Big.”

No calls, no dial position. But, like they say, radio isn’t about tall towers in big fields . . . and, radio isn’t about call letters and dial positions anymore, either. I did read an opine in an industry trade(s) about diaries, that most times, the reporter identifies the station by its slogan, i.e. “Kiss,” as opposed to its frequency or call letters. (I agree, most times, listeners don’t know the calls, the frequency, or who owns it, just the slogan, “the Coast,” “Lite Miami,” etc.)

And even though, technically, BIG has transitioned from “classic rock” to “classic hits,” they are not identifying as such. The third ID they are now running: “The best of the 70s, 80s, 90s . . . and this,” as it goes into a song out of a stopset.

I also heard, twice, and the tail end of it, so I don’t know what context it was in, but the spot or ID trailed off with . . . “on the IHeartRadio Network.” That just started on Friday, I think.

I feel this is all because of the loss of Magic 102.7, which did ID as “Classic Hits” and leaving a void for “classic hits” station. The Beach has lots of disco, Latin oriented, or Latin appealing songs, and a LOT of the songs we see as “Classic Hits” that Magic played, are gone from the Beach playlist. So, I do see this movie with Big to fill that void left by Magic. And it makes sense, because, Magic was doing well; better than Big in the ratings (well enough for Lincoln, but not well enough for Entercom, it seems).

Anyway, I have read a few trades about the move to “national brands.” Alpha Media has the classic hip hop “G” format, CBS has “AMP,” Cumulus has “Nash Icon,” etc., and I just see IHeartMedia creating some type of “classic hits” hybrid (in local context; its like a cross between the old Coast 97.3 and Magic 102.7) with the tags “The Best of the 70s, 80s, and 90s,” and “BIG,” as one size fits all national brand that can run on any station, anywhere.

The national branding of formats, along with the voice tracked shows of Nikki Sixx with “Sixx Sence,” and John Tesh, Scott Shannon, etc, (great talent, voices, content) but un-localized, generic breaks that plug into any daypart (John Tesh plays down here on two stations with the same breaks . . . but one station runs them in the mornings, the other runs them at night.

So, you see where things are going with radio . . . . national brands, national hosts.

From May to June WBGG was, and went up form a 3.2 to 3.7 is at #11. WMXJ went down from 4.3 to 4.0 and even though it went down (overall), its #9. This could all work for BIG/WBGG; look at WFEZ 93.1, when it was 93 Rock “Active Rock” it was at the bottom of the ratings; now Easy 93 averages a 6.3 (overall) and is #3. So, you never know. Will be interesting to watch what happens between WMXJ and WBGG over the next couple of months

Last edited:
No calls, no dial position. But, like they say, radio isn’t about tall towers in big fields . . . and, radio isn’t about call letters and dial positions anymore, either. I did read an opine in an industry trade(s) about diaries, that most times, the reporter identifies the station by its slogan, i.e. “Kiss,” as opposed to its frequency or call letters. (I agree, most times, listeners don’t know the calls, the frequency, or who owns it, just the slogan, “the Coast,” “Lite Miami,” etc.)

That is not in reality true. Diary entries for music stations average... and have averaged for about 20 years... 80% frequency mentions. A percentage of the the frequency mentions also include a name, but overwhelmingly there is mention of the frequency.

The Beach has lots of disco, Latin oriented, or Latin appealing songs, and a LOT of the songs we see as “Classic Hits” that Magic played, are gone from the Beach playlist.

Actually, WMXJ underindexes against Hispanics. While the music may be more rhythmic than rock leaning, that's the way Miami has been back to the days when Tanner and Coleen gave that flavor to The Amazing FM. Sunshine Band, anyone?

Anyway, I have read a few trades about the move to “national brands.” Alpha Media has the classic hip hop “G” format, CBS has “AMP,” Cumulus has “Nash Icon,” etc., and I just see IHeartMedia creating some type of “classic hits” hybrid (in local context; its like a cross between the old Coast 97.3 and Magic 102.7) with the tags “The Best of the 70s, 80s, and 90s,” and “BIG,” as one size fits all national brand that can run on any station, anywhere.

There is a difference between a brand and a format. Companies have tried to protect brands that can be registered and used anywhere... because of streaming which invades pre-existing brand usage areas. But, for example, "Kiss" from the brand stable of iHeart, can mean CHR, Hot AC, AC, Urban or whatever they want it to be. But they have tied up the name save for some legacy uses that are "protected".

So, you see where things are going with radio . . . . national brands, national hosts.

Oh, just like Red, Blue and CBS in the 30's?

From May to June WBGG was, and went up form a 3.2 to 3.7 is at #11. WMXJ went down from 4.3 to 4.0 and even though it went down (overall), its #9.

WMXJ is right in the middle of the range it has been at since February in 25-54, where it wobbles around in the 9th to 13th rank postion. August was an up month, as opposed to July which was at the low end of the range. In any case, a 4.3 and a 4.0 are, statistically, the same number.

WBBG has been between 14th and 16th in 25-54 rank all year.

WFEZ which this year has been as high as 3rd in 25-54, is has been 6th and then 10th in the last two books.

Last edited:

Any ideas?

Getting things back on track to the latest "happenings" in South Florida radio intent of this thread . . . . Turns out, its not Heat broadcasts. Its Entercom's first ever, "Riptide Music Festival," cross promoted on both the Beach and the Shark, and Lite, and features a mix of bands heard on the three stations.

Debbie Deb
The Fixx
Lime
A Flock of Seagulls
Expose
Howard Jones
The B-52’s
Earth, Wind & Fire

So, that is pretty "big."

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom