• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Network Action for Smooth Jazz 104.3 WSMJ in Baltimore?

C

cklw800

References to the air staff not on their Web site. Could this be the next full-time BA Netowrk affiliate? Stay tuned!

I have a friend in Baltimore who said they were still live in the daytimes. Same AM guy, the girl that BA hired out of a CHR station because she didn't know anything about smooth jazz so she wouldn't mess with their structure ( was just dying when Kepler said that in RnR) , and Trish Hennessy in PM. Network nights and overnights.
Air talent page is buried but still there:
http://www.smoothjazz1043.com/pages/insidecore.html

Network Action for Smooth Jazz 104.3 WSMJ in Baltimore? Well, no...

Back in may I wondered why the personality pages were buried. Was sure they were going to go full network. Looks like a Labor Day flip could be in the works instead. To what I don't know. But at least the talent won't lose their jobs to the network, a little less insulting. But I do admire Lori Lewis for her truiumph with Ryan Shaw, like him or not. At least she had some guts in her music programming mind. And they held on to local jocks as much as they could and sounded great.

Ryan Shaw stiffed, and one can't help but wonder if the promotional pu$h from Razor and Tie that was as strong as their pu$h with Kelly Sweet was a factor more than creativity or individuality. It would look more gutsy to step out on a song that didn't have such a strong label push behind it, like Nyee Moses, who can actually sing and doesn't sound retro.

If you go to their website and click the "what was that song" icon on the playist block and look at the whole day lists they are doing basically an eclectic pop/R&B vocal mix that covers 4 decades with most of the instrumental songs being covers. The biggest train wreck I saw was on AM drive one day Brubecks "Take Five" into Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" and Eagles "I Can't Tell You Why" into TLC "Waterfalls." Lots of Back to back vocals, lots of "era shock"
(quick flips from stylized 60s and early 70s songs to Gnarls Barkley or Fergie) More like a twist on "Jack" with R&B and instrumentals than Urban A/C overall. This is a prototype that Kepler seems to love according to the interviews he does.

I think RnR only covers BA because there's nothing else out there as far as subscribers and reporters. You have to shake the hand that feeds you.

I try hard to not let a full 30 days go by without a hit on this Smooth Jazz board, so here's a bit of news that might get things hopping by Monday, September 24. WSMJ 104.3 has a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT Monday at 10:00 a.m. With so little localism or musical innovation in this format currently, I can understand why there is little to talk about unless it's losing or gaining a SJ station somewhere. Smooth Jazz 104.3 should be interesting to listen in on Monday morning at 10.

False alarm could turn to be a reality in Dec-Jan. WSMJ is making a big deal about sponsoring the Dave Koz Christmas concert. Dave Koz could visit the station prior to the concert and announce he's going to be the new afternoon host on WSMJ. So either a flip to another format or a flip to the BA Network (they could bring on Ramsey too for a.m.) could still be in the offing. I can't see them capitalizing on the concert sponsorship and not bringing him on as host to make an additional "big announcement" well ahead of the spring book and at the one year anniversary of the BA Network. And the personality pages are still buried. Also Annie Ashe is still listed as the 7P-12MID host on their outdated personality section instead of Maria Lopez. Maria's been on since August. It'll be quiet for now but keep your ears on around the time of the concert. Could be some subtle changes prior to that or right after. 'Tis the season.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom