• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Netflix password sharing question

I had a thought about Netflix charging for password sharing. I occasionally take a Roku stick with me on trips to use in a hotel, and I know other people probably do that as well. Will watching Netflix on my Roku in a hotel show up as password sharing or will they be able to determine that I'm using one of my normal devices but in a different location? Thanks!

Wouldn’t the sharing be most likely to show up when 2 different devices are logging into and using the same account at the same time?

Wouldn’t the sharing be most likely to show up when 2 different devices are logging into and using the same account at the same time?
Accounts allow for multiple accounts at the same location being logged in at the same time. Netflix defines sharing as the same account being used at different locations.

I had a thought about Netflix charging for password sharing. I occasionally take a Roku stick with me on trips to use in a hotel, and I know other people probably do that as well. Will watching Netflix on my Roku in a hotel show up as password sharing or will they be able to determine that I'm using one of my normal devices but in a different location? Thanks!
That's an interesting question. Slightly different but possibly a similar example - when traveling I could always log on to Facebook from any PC anywhere. Starting this past Thanksgiving, when I tried to log in using a laptop at a friends' house in a different area of the country, I got an error message from FB security and they sent a code to the e-mail address associated with my FB account to confirm it was me, etc. While I appreciated the extra layer of security since hacking has become such an issue, at that particular time I decided it wasn't worth all the trouble, so I waited until I got back home to log in as normal - but it shows that internet security folks are getting smarter and more sophisticated. In most cases that's a good thing, but for those who travel a lot or who have slightly unique circumstances, it could cause some headaches at times.

This article, published today, may offer a bit of insight:
Once a primary location is set, Netflix users are asked to “watch something at least once every 31 days” in order to keep their devices associated with the location.
In order to share the Netflix account with someone outside the primary location, the company says the account owner can add an extra member to their account for a small fee.
Netflix users may also be blocked from streaming on some devices if they try to access the platform while traveling or after moving. In that case, Netflix says users should either stream something before leaving their primary location to create a “trusted device,” or request a temporary code to verify their device “and continue watching Netflix for 7 consecutive days.”

You can run a VPN server on your home network and connect the other devices to that at least once a month. And with email codes, just set up a separate email account exclusively for Netflix. Have that email account forward every email it receives to each person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom