• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Need Some Advice

I was told it was some kind of an insurance issue, and that they normally don't take people younger than 16, I not only filed an application, I also turned in several reference letters which wern't asked for. I haven't heard anything yet back from them, I went in before the end of the school year last year and was told that weither i was exepted or not I would here from them within a week, and never did, so I plan to go in next week

travisl5678 said:
I was told it was some kind of an insurance issue, and that they normally don't take people younger than 16, I not only filed an application, I also turned in several reference letters which wern't asked for. I haven't heard anything yet back from them, I went in before the end of the school year last year and was told that weither i was exepted or not I would here from them within a week, and never did, so I plan to go in next week

That could well be. When I was 13 or 14 I attempted to go to a night school for electronics classes and was turned down. I seem to remember something similar about liability issues, etc. But heck, you're 14, that should mean that you're old enough to attend Clayton Valley HS right now, no?

I don't want to look like a jerk here, but you *really* need to look at your spelling and punctuation. Good writing is important if you do production. People respect you more when you use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You have misspelled several words: "wern't" should be "weren't", "weither" should be "whether", "excepted" should be "accepted". Also, watch for run-on sentences. You should be putting a period rather than a comma after "16". A semi-colon would be more appropriate after "application" instead of a comma because the thought has shifted somewhat. When the thought shifts you need a semi-colon. After "back from them", you need another period, not a comma. Don't be afraid of using short sentences. Short sentences are good, and are certainly very useful when writing for vocal delivery.

I know people will criticize me for pointing out these things, but high quality writing is essential if the writing is going to be taken seriously by professionals in radio or TV production.

DavidKaye said:
travisl5678 said:

I don't want to look like a jerk here, but you *really* need to look at your spelling and punctuation. Good writing is important if you do production. People respect you more when you use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You have misspelled several words: "wern't" should be "weren't", "weither" should be "whether", "excepted" should be "accepted". Also, watch for run-on sentences. You should be putting a period rather than a comma after "16". A semi-colon would be more appropriate after "application" instead of a comma because the thought has shifted somewhat. When the thought shifts you need a semi-colon. After "back from them", you need another period, not a comma. Don't be afraid of using short sentences. Short sentences are good, and are certainly very useful when writing for vocal delivery.

I know people will criticize me for pointing out these things, but high quality writing is essential if the writing is going to be taken seriously by professionals in radio or TV production.

Your advice about writing is wise. However, not to excuse it, but I frequently find typos and misspellings in my posts after I've posted them. I just re-read one in which I used the word "due" when I meant "do." People take a more casual attitude about emails and blogs. It used to bug me when my thesis advisor at SFSU wrote me emails that made her appear almost illiterate, while she was criticizing my grammar and syntax. She had published numerous journal articles, and was a decent writer.

I write analyses and reports regularly as part of my job, and needless to say, I'm much more careful.

I haven't been on the SF page in awhile but was interested in the advice given to Travis.
There's nothing I can add to that. What caught my eye was the reference to the Columbia School of Broadcasting. They DID have scruples. When I was on the air in Boston & Jacksonville, Columbia hired me to address prospective students one night a week. I told them I would only do this if I could be brutally honest, they said "fine", and I told it like is. Back then it wasn't as tight as it is now, but it still wasn't easy.

I do believe Columbia is gone now. You can't train people for jobs that no longer exist.

Travis, I was on the air at 15..........but that was a long time ago.

Jerry Gordon Announcer....The Jack B Show..syndicated

Lkeller said:
Your advice about writing is wise. However, not to excuse it, but I frequently find typos and misspellings in my posts after I've posted them.

I think so much faster than I can type, so I tend to leave out words, or I will rewrite part of my comment and forget that I left in some words that no longer connect with the part I edited. I was actually shocked to see one post about a month back where I used "their" for "they're".

Normally I wouldn't have commented at all about someone's post, but there were so many errors that I felt I just had to mention them, especially given that he wants a career in radio production.

DavidKaye said:
Lkeller said:
Your advice about writing is wise. However, not to excuse it, but I frequently find typos and misspellings in my posts after I've posted them.

I think so much faster than I can type, so I tend to leave out words, or I will rewrite part of my comment and forget that I left in some words that no longer connect with the part I edited. I was actually shocked to see one post about a month back where I used "their" for "they're".

Normally I wouldn't have commented at all about someone's post, but there were so many errors that I felt I just had to mention them, especially given that he wants a career in radio production.

They're you go, again, David. Their has to be some IT genius out their who can invent "context-check" to go along with spellcheck and grammar check. I would think their has to be some way, but I guess they're's no point going their.

Hey all, just wanted to be clear about something I said a few days ago. I was wrong, me not getting into KVHS is due to a state law, and had nothing to do with The station, school, or district. I would like to thank the great people at KVHS who did what they couls to get me in, and work hard to maintain an amazing program that is the start of many great people. I have seen everything people have said and now know it to be true, about how hard everyone works their. Thanks to everyone who sent me encouraging emails.
Travis

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom