• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music prior to 1971

CaptBob92

Inactive
Inactive User
I don't know if I have this right but I'm sure some one out there can answer this question. I recently read an article that referred to music produced prior to 1971 as not being part of the copywrite laws and that it could be played on line without fees. The article wasn't so much about that as it was about what would happen if the date was pushed further back so they wrote it from a perspective of everyone already knowing this rule.

I can't remember seeing any storys about music prior to 71 being without copywrite fees for stream play. Anybody know if this is true?

Thanks in advance

CaptBop92, this is a point that has been raised but has not yet been addressed by the powers that are...refer to this link from David Oxenford's firm for more info:

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/201...ecordings-whats-the-impact-on-internet-radio/

Since one of our stations plays nothing released past 1946, one with northing past 1954, one with nothing past 1965 and the last with nothing past 1969 (and our newest station under development celebrating the first two decades of R&B through 1961), I am very interested in the decision outcome here...

I'm sure the empty suits at the record labels will figure out some way to make you pay for those songs, too. After all, they have to justify their jobs and huge salaries (which is where most of the royalty money goes).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom