• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MOYL

Not quite sure what they are doing. I don't think they are either. I hear some pretty rockin' oldies on there in between the mob hits!

They also ended satellite distribution and made all of their affiliates (that kept them) purchase new equipment to receive their feed over the internet. Saving themselves a ton of cash, but leaving the affiliates to fend for themselves purchasing the new equipment and gave them only a few days notice. You would think they would have purchased the equipment for the affiliates and gave them at least a months notice.

Also found out in this transition that It appears the ops manager has a day job and "watches over" MOYL in his spare time which he apparently runs from his home.

Not exactly impressed with the direction this network has gone, but nobody else is producing a format with this kind of music.

By "more traditional" does that mean more pre-rock chart hits and fewer contemporary album cuts? If so I must check it out.

I had heard that MoYL had played rock recordings such as "Ramblin' Man" by the Allman Brothers Band. I personally have never heard this but I have heard some disco, such as "Night Fever" by the Bee Gees and IIRC "Never Can Say Goodbye" by Gloria Gaynor. Sorry, but this is NOT what that format is supposed to be about! It's one thing to add music by an artist that may not be typically heard on a standards/MOR playlist that would still be appropriate, but I feel there are lines which shouldn't be crossed.

Like when Dial Global played Olivia Newton-John's "Physical." That one REALLY stuck out like a sore thumb. I think DG has also played "Never Can Say Goodbye" before.

ChrisInMI said:
Like when Dial Global played Olivia Newton-John's "Physical." That one REALLY stuck out like a sore thumb. I think DG has also played "Never Can Say Goodbye" before.
That secod one works simply because it sounds like bad Vegas lounge music. I've never heard "Physical" except on the local morning show, although they do play some pretty off-the-wall stuff. Just this morning I heard "Hard Day's Night".

They are mixing in more music from the 40's and 50's, and more standards. They still sound a little odd, but a lot better than they did.

A few days ago, I heard Donna Summer's "Last Dance". Again, leave disco and other overtly uptempo music for the ACs to handle.

There are modern tunes that can work on MoYL. Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr, Diana Krall are all appropriate artists. A song like "Kissing a Fool" by George Michael is also appropriate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom