• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

most pointless thing I have heard locally in a VERY LONG time

93.3 (which I can't stand because I hate oldies from the 90's) does a weekday segment about a new song they want listeners to vote on.

Do they play it since, oh, I don't know, that's what a music-format radio station is supposed to do?

No.

They refer listeners to the station's IG to listen it to there.

Really?

Actively referring listeners AWAY from your station?

All that does is remind listeners that your station's NOT PLAYING the music that you may or may not like.

Every time I think the suits are 92.3 are the rock bottom of incompetence, I see something like this that absolutely erases any doubt that maybe Bonneville isn't so incompetent after all.

Biggest Local Radio Head-Scratcher I Have Heard In a Really Long Time.

Why the (*bleep*) can't you play the (*bleep*) song instead of referring me to IG?

All that does is remind listeners that your station's NOT PLAYING the music that you may or may not like.

So you want them to play music I don't like?

You must be a boomer. This is what your kids call "engagement." They do it all the time. It's fun.

How are they supposed to vote? You want them to mail it in?

They are hardly a 90’s station. Looking at the media base sample for the 9am hour yesterday, they only played one 90’s track out of 13 songs played.

The name of the game isn't just getting people to listen, but it's keeping people engaged with your station brand. Obviously they want to build their IG up.

Also, in many cases these days, and particularly with younger audiences, people are already listening on a phone or computer and can just pull up Instagram while listening to the station...

The name of the game isn't just getting people to listen, but it's keeping people engaged with your station brand.

Exactly, and this may be a foreign concept to older people. But listening to the radio is a passive activity. The goal is to convert that into something more active. Unfortunately the way radio works, it is a one-way medium. So they are getting passive listeners to physically do something where they can engage with the station in a real-time activity. That is transcending the passive nature of radio listening.

They are not taking listeners away from the station, but in fact bringing them closer together.

The name of the game isn't just getting people to listen, but it's keeping people engaged with your station brand. Obviously they want to build their IG up.

Also, in many cases these days, and particularly with younger audiences, people are already listening on a phone or computer and can just pull up Instagram while listening to the station...

Yes, I get that. But if it weren't "go to our IG and vote" ONLY, without playing the track over the air -- why not play it *AND* then refer listeners to IG? Why does it have be one or the other? That's what I don't understand.

They are hardly a 90’s station. Looking at the media base sample for the 9am hour yesterday, they only played one 90’s track out of 13 songs played.

I can count on one hand (because it's only two) the amount of new music I have heard on 93.3 in a 30-minute period: Billy Eilish and that song featuring Chvrches. Eveverything else could easily be on 94.5: close to 95-98% of what's in current rotation - hardly an exaggeration - was released on CD during the Bush era (G.W. or in some cases H.W.) How on earth is that acceptable in a town that still doesn't have its own KCRW? The only mainstream "alt-rock" station in town still plays Nirvana in regular rotation. Jiminy Cricket, what a waste of airwaves - they should have stuck with a rock format and never flipped.

Yes, I get that. But if it weren't "go to our IG and vote" ONLY, without playing the track over the air -- why not play it *AND* then refer listeners to IG? Why does it have be one or the other? That's what I don't understand.

If they play it, then your vote is meaningless. This is not "pick it or flick it." The only people who vote under those circumstances are the people listening at the time. By putting it on the site, they get more votes, and the process is more representative. Plus as I said, it's interactive.

I can count on one hand (because it's only two) the amount of new music I have heard on 93.3 in a 30-minute period: Billy Eilish and that song featuring Chvrches. Eveverything else could easily be on 94.5: close to 95-98% of what's in current rotation - hardly an exaggeration - was released on CD during the Bush era (G.W. or in some cases H.W.) How on earth is that acceptable in a town that still doesn't have its own KCRW? The only mainstream "alt-rock" station in town still plays Nirvana in regular rotation. Jiminy Cricket, what a waste of airwaves - they should have stuck with a rock format and never flipped.

That’s true, they don’t play a lot of new music. But your argument every time you post about them is that they play too many 90’s tracks. When in fact it’s usually about two an hour. The G.W. Bush era was 2000-2008. Yes those are gold tracks but not 90’s gold and to me they sound different than 90’s alt. You obviously don’t like the station but contnue to listen. It’s not perfect for me either but most commercial stations sound very similar to 93.3 and I’m just glad we have one after going a few years without. The edge played very few new tracks it’s last years in existence as well and when they did play a lot of currents it was late 90’s/early 200’s and they played a lot of active rock at the time.

The edge played very few new tracks it’s last years in existence as well and when they did play a lot of currents it was late 90’s/early 200’s and they played a lot of active rock at the time.

We've been talking about this with regards to KROQ in LA. The rock format is a bit lost right now. There is no core to it, just a bunch of unrelated songs and bands. Hard to program around that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom