• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More than 30 million people have signed up for Meta's new "Twitter Killer" Threads app

I knew one thing the first spike is the hype part but to see if threads really succeeds we need to wait for politicians to show up there for the 2024 elections to find out the impacts.

I recently added Instagram. One of the features is I can make one post that appears on both Facebook & Instagram. That connection doesn't exist yet for threads. So it's extra work. There also isn't a way to direct your Facebook or Instagram friends to threads. There should be a 'Visit me on Threads' button. Keep in mind the whole idea for social media is user generated content. The platform itself doesn't attract users, the content does. So Meta has to figure out ways to get users to generate content.

i think the future of Social Media in a post-Meta/Twitter word is sadly video based, as Threads is struggling and people can't wait for Mastodon or BlueSky to become easier to join. the micro blogging era is over, Twitter & Facebook were the Newspapers of social media and now Tik Tok is the radio/TV of social media meaning it's killing the "words" based social media cause seeing it in video form is better then describing it.

I miss the days when social media was sharing every day things. Good things, bad things but personal things. What's up in people's lives. Who's your favorite band or things like that. Now it's all politics and fighting over petty nonsense. No thanks. Life is too important for me to care whether you hate Joe Biden and Donald Trump or love them both. It's all the same to me.

I miss the days when social media was sharing every day things. Good things, bad things but personal things. What's up in people's lives. Who's your favorite band or things like that. Now it's all politics and fighting over petty nonsense. No thanks. Life is too important for me to care whether you hate Joe Biden and Donald Trump or love them both. It's all the same to me.
That's one of the reasons I limit who I follow or befriend on social media and if someone starts posting political stuff, especially if it's blatantly false or inflammatory I may not unfollow them, but I'll often block the site who's content they "shared" in their feed. The reason I use Facebook, IG and the like is to keep up with friends or even far away acquaintances I've worked or went to school with, etc. If I wanted political banter or to read heated political debates, there are plenty of places to go specifically for that.

Here is more on threads and its to include a search feature in Australia and New Zealand.

Last week, Threads launched one of the most anticipated features, a web version of the platform. Now, Meta is testing another highly demanded feature for the social network — the ability to search posts.

At the moment, users can only search for usernames on Threads. However, the company is working on bringing full-text search. It is already testing this feature in Australia and New Zealand and is planning for a wider rollout to other English-speaking countries.

“We are actively listening to the community’s feedback and working on more features to improve the search experience,” the company said in a statement.

Here is more for Meta Owned platforms.

Meta Platforms (META.O) is considering paid versions of Facebook and Instagram with no advertisements for users residing in the European Union (EU) as a response to scrutiny from regulators, the New York Times reported on Friday.

Those who pay for the subscriptions would not see ads while Meta would also continue to offer free versions of the apps with ads in the EU, the report said, citing three people with knowledge of the plans.
The report added that the possible move may help Meta combat privacy concerns and other scrutiny from the EU as it would give users an alternative to the company's ad-based services, which rely on analyzing people's data.

Meta did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Here is more this time Meta is to label AI content on their owned platforms.

Also Blue sky current status as it is being played as Twitter alternate.

I wonder how Threads worked out. I mean, did it kill Twitter? Doesn't appear to have. I use FB maybe 3X a week, and have no idea what Threads is. Never have. They obviously didn't promote it on FB news feeds.

Flash, meet pan.

Threads still doesn't offer simple functions like hashtags or 'trending' topics. That seems to be by design as they have sought to foster a more civil community that lacks the tools that bots exploit the most on twitter/X.

I don't understand the long delay with Bluesky. They handed all the Musk-hating momentum to Threads and Instagram, and it feels like much of the 'anything-but-twitter' crowd has already settled in on those platforms. Might be an uphill battle for Bluesky to lure them away at this point.

I wonder how Threads worked out. I mean, did it kill Twitter? Doesn't appear to have. I use FB maybe 3X a week, and have no idea what Threads is. Never have. They obviously didn't promote it on FB news feeds.

Flash, meet pan.
Meta tied Twitter to Instagram so it grew because of that. A user wTho used Instagram could follow all of their Instagram contacts.
Bluesky, I don't know, I think Meta has had a several months' head start.
There are conversations among and about music and musicians on Threads.

Spoutible doesn't get mentioned much but there is a dedicated, monitored music page which is pretty good.

X is now the home of the MAGA cult, Putin worshippers and white Supremacy.

Spoutible doesn't get mentioned much

I forgot all about them until I got a notification that they had a data breach and leaked my f***ing data.

Then just today I got another email from them telling me to delete and reinstall my apps and clear the cache from all my devices. At the bottom of that email is a big green button that says "Invest".

Sorry but these guys are dead to me.

According to Statista / Kepios, in 2023 FB had 3 billion users (worldwide), Instagram had 2 billion, WhatsApp had 2 billion and TikTok had 1.5 billion. X/Twitter had 619,000,000. WeChat has a billion, Telegram 800 million.

No mention of any of the others on that particular list, really, except some that are popular in China. Similar (documented) numbers can be found on the Wiki for 'Social Media'. YouTube, which is apparently classified as a Social media, has 2.5 Billion users worldwide. X/Twitter is also apparently the sixth most visited website in the world, according to at least two American web analytics companies (Similarweb & Semrush).

With 619 Million users (apparently 94 million in the US) -- it doesn't look like X has become nothing but a den for MAGA people and Putin sycophants. I doubt there are 619 Million of those on the planet, or even 94 million of them in the US, especially when 2 out of 3 users of X are apparently under 35. Obviously, there are a lot of other, diverse X users (including Taylor Swift).

And obviously, X hasn't been killed off yet. In one article I found referenced on the Wiki it says X use dropped 13% from Elon's acquisition to the end of 2023. And I think BigA mentioned in another thread that they don't have much advertising.

Not sure how a media can survive without advertising income these days. That could definitely be a problem. Look how advertising issues are affecting Radio and other media.

But Elon's rich, so there's that.

This site has a lot of stats, including income stats (Twitter lost money until 2018, for example). Not sure of the veracity of the site's data.

The Wiki that lists the Similarweb and Semrush website ranking data:

And obviously, X hasn't been killed off yet. In one article I found referenced on the Wiki it says X use dropped 13% from Elon's acquisition to the end of 2023. And I think BigA mentioned in another thread that they don't have much advertising.
Newspaper articles often mention what was said on X, and a few have quit clarifying that it used to be Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom