• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Missed Opportunity or Just The Way It Is?

So, I was thinking on how traditional radio may or may not have missed other distribution deals in the US.

Take the U.K for example, many radio stations make themselves available via alternate means. In addition to DAB, the station can be found on Satellite TV (Sky, similar to DirecTV and DiSH), easy to find in the EPG (Electronic Program Guide), on many cable systems, again findable on the EPG and as part of the digital TV signals in many area (known as Freeview), again in their listings on the EPG.
Listenership is up to double-digits on the alternate methods. Admittedly all of this isn’t without their issues but they offer additional ways to distribute as well as the internet.

Mentioning DAB, notwithstanding its own issues, but the multiplex's have been opened up to the purchase of carriage for stations so could be similar to a station "brokering" its HD2/3 etc. (assuming listeners!)

So, from what I can see, most of the distribution mechanisms into the home have either MusicChoice, Urge (or in DirecTV’s case, XM). Now that a lot is carried digitally, had the boat been missed for carriage of local stations in many major cities across the U.S.

It could be possible for the DTV signals to carry audio channels (low bandwidth), although admittedly the US has a far higher penetration of cable and satellite signals so there are less receivers this way.

I wonder what others think?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom