• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MINDY MCCREADY DEAD AT 37

Casey said:
Ten Thousand Angels will forever be one of my favorite songs.
One of mine, too. We can speculate all day long, but it's hard to say what a person is going through internally. Too bad those angels weren't there during much of her troubled life.

.....sure enough somewheres in a stack of unopened CD's i had mindy mccreadys most recent 2010 album "im still here", on iconic record label. nope, never did take time to review it when i rcv'd it. none of the singles charted off it. it probably sounds mediocre at best, especially after all the problems shes done had? guess again. its actually pretty decent contemporary country stuff. in fact, its better than the majority of all the females gettin airplay attention these days! it leans more country than pop by far. she wrote three of the songs, including the title track. i am sorry it took her tragic death to get me to take time out to listen to her latest work. a lot of this stuff is radio hits, that never saw the light of day, er rotation.

p.s. yep, always liked "10,000 angels" too

Hard for me to sympathize with her. When she claimed to have had an affair with Roger Clemens, that did it for me. She had become a drama queen. She was trying to extend her 15 minutes of fame. Apparently, she thought that negative publicity was better than none at all. It got so bad there for a while that the Tennessean's entertainment reporter announced that she would no longer report on any more "notorious" events by McCready, only covering McCready if she made entertainment-related news, like releasing a new album or something like that. She performed at CMA Music-Fest a few years back, but that was the last "positive" news that she ever made.

McCready was just never going to be able to stage a comeback. She had suffered from the buildup of too much negative publicity over the past decade or so. And it just caught up with her. And with the industry being so youth-oriented these days, they were just never going to go back to her.

She is getting all these accolades from those in the industry now, but where were they when they could possibly have helped her?

Her song "Good Again" I think could have made it on the radio. It is off the "All For You" album that cannot be found anywhere. Too bad really.

We as human people do stuff we are not proud of we should not judge her by what she did wrong. We should be proud of the music she made which will live forever

No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.

~ 1 John 4:12, NLT

Love is the answer not hate that's what is wrong with our world today
God Bless

firepoint525 said:
She is getting all these accolades from those in the industry now, but where were they when they could possibly have helped her?
Amen to that! I thought that those in country music took care of their own.

God bless you and her family always!!!

Holly

P.S. My most favorite song from her went to radio 15 years ago named "The Other Side Of This Kiss".

firepoint525 said:

What could "the industry" have done to possibly help her?

Would it have helped if she'd got another deal? Another single that got played on country radio? A tour?

I don't think so.

She had enormous potential as an artist. She squandered it, and set about on a path of self-destruction. As sad as it is, her death is not due to a lack of help from "the industry."

Ford said:
firepoint525 said:

Would it have helped if she'd got another deal? Another single that got played on country radio? A tour?

I don't think so.

She had enormous potential as an artist. She squandered it, and set about on a path of self-destruction. As sad as it is, her death is not due to a lack of help from "the industry."
agreed. but, the industry is cut throat. many artists who are lucky enough to even break out and get a medium hit or two, are often then blackballed by the recording industry and radio before they even got off the ground, when the next single didnt quite surpass the other one on the charts. often times due to lack of single promotion, and bad timing, irregardless of single quality. most female artists handle this with grace and move on with their lives, get married and raise a family. while others may press on with smaller labels, and lack of airplay, just because they love the art of perfroming country music, and they love their fans. others may become victims by flirting with a more dangerous path of self destruction with drugs. yet, mindy mccready, seemed to be on the path of destruction right from the start. but, blaming the cut throat record business or radio, is like blaming the wet pavement for the rain, that washed out all the new crop in the field. who said the path through life should be fair, and easy? it is what makes up our own individual character in how we deal with it. whether your a high profile hit maker recording artist, or just the average mom and pop, risking everything to start a new business.

I think what EZway2go said is right on: It's hard to know what a person is going through.

She made many headlines for the wrong reasons but we've got to ask ourselves why. This girl was mixed up for years and years. I don't know if anything could have prevented the road she went down but it's known that adequate mental health care is not being met for many people. She just happens to be well-known.

What's guaranteed is this will continue to happen again and again with people who'll barely rank a mention in their local newspaper. While Mindy McCready's name and actions will quickly fade from our memories, that won't be the case with her family who will have to rebuild their lives. They won't go a day without thinking of her; wondering what they could have done differently. It's the same situation other families find themselves in every day.

There is much to learn about treating mental illness but meanwhile, I think they deserve our sympathy and whatever help is available to them. To have a chance, they have to feel they have the support of those around them. If not for the individual, at least for the families they otherwise would leave behind.

Ford said:
firepoint525 said:
I don't think so.
I agree; that's why it is so sickening to hear of all these accolades that she is now getting from those in the industry, many of whom had probably not given her a second thought in years (other than when she made headlines for all the wrong reasons, of course ::)).

Coming from them now, it's just crocodile tears.

scott salvatori said:
... the industry is cut throat. many artists who are lucky enough to even break out and get a medium hit or two, are often then blackballed by the recording industry and radio before they even got off the ground, when the next single didnt quite surpass the other one on the charts. often times due to lack of single promotion, and bad timing, irregardless of single quality. most female artists handle this with grace and move on with their lives, get married and raise a family. while others may press on with smaller labels, and lack of airplay, just because they love the art of perfroming country music, and they love their fans. others may become victims by flirting with a more dangerous path of self destruction with drugs. yet, mindy mccready, seemed to be on the path of destruction right from the start. but, blaming the cut throat record business or radio, is like blaming the wet pavement for the rain, that washed out all the new crop in the field. who said the path through life should be fair, and easy? it is what makes up our own individual character in how we deal with it. whether your a high profile hit maker recording artist, or just the average mom and pop, risking everything to start a new business.

The above made me think of Paul Brandt who broke out the same year as Mindy McCready. Several years ago I was listening to a national country countdown show and they played one of his hits on a flashback segment. I remember the announcer telling the story of how Paul Brandt more or less disappeared from the music scene. Apparently, he simply got fed up with the industry and moved back to his native Canada where he formed his own label. It sounded like he's doing quite well, still recording and winning all kinds of awards.

scott salvatori said:
it probably sounds mediocre at best, especially after all the problems shes done had? guess again. its actually pretty decent contemporary country stuff.
Other than Hank Sr., Keith Whitley is the best example I can think of. The more troubled a singer is, the better the music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom