• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Micro FM 96.1 - Radio Whitfield

Heard the station a few days ago sounds ok I guess for a pirate. The number being broadcast is no good all I get is a system busy from my AT&T cell phone. The day I was listening I would estimate ERP about 30 watts far more then part 15 allows. Has anyone got a hold of Grant, would be a shame for another former radio person to get in hot water with the fcc.

If I get a chance, and he's on the air, I'll do a little DF'ing this weekend. I'd like to find him before the Sheriff finds him....You get arrested in Florida for that. No longer just a friendly shut it down talk from the FCC guy, and if we hear you again, you will be in trouble. Of course, if nobody complains then there is no damage....

Ummmm, and perhaps folks from the local FCC office may visit this site from time to time???????? I think you'all have given them a big enough shovel to dig a very big hole for this poor guy! If he wasnt on their radar before, he probably is now.

Now that other clown, Kenwood Radio, Radio Kenwood, whatever, he was a deserving topic because of his poor choice of freqs and the interferance he was causing. BTW he has been busted:
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/19/PMENEWSO4-st-pete-man-charged-for-illegal-radio-st/

Here are a couple of Grant's CKLW 20/20 news airchecks. We need radio news to return to this style again....

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/bigeight-2.html

Scroll down till you get to Grant Hudson. If you like you can scroll up and listen to a couple of Big Jim's CKLW airchecks.

Here's a wav file of the best blood and guts reporting of CKLW. Grant's famous Louisville slugger bat story is here. A great listen. It will take a while to download

http://www.thebig8.net/2020.wav

Welp, still on this morning, however it sounded like something was a little overdriven in the audio department, must just be a sound card plugged in with no processing. sbe1 did you get to do any df'ing? I might hop in the truck later since it is only up the street from my office.

hdradioeng said:
Welp, still on this morning, however it sounded like something was a little overdriven in the audio department, must just be a sound card plugged in with no processing. sbe1 did you get to do any df'ing? I might hop in the truck later since it is only up the street from my office.
No, havent had time to check it but I will do it this week...

druidhillsradio said:
Anything new on this?
Still on, but with a better range than he had.
Goes past the airport and almost to Cortez Rd.

Still isn't showing up on the FCC website.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I'll be on site at the Piggiefest (Manatee Civic Center, Bradenton) around 10:30 am this Saturday. Will check for 96.1 and the reported 103.1 in the same general area if time permits after. I'll be on FRS open channel 1 when in the parking lot prior to entry and probably once inside/outside in the used gear area. Squawking handle will be Headshot if anyone else is there.

Hum... 103.1..Used to be owned by a guy in Pescara Lakes MHP off 57th Ave W in Bradenton.. He passed away, and according to his wife, she gave or sold all the equipment to someone in another MHP somewhere in Palmetto area...(Damn.. I missed it by days !!) Don't get north of the Manatee River much so never tried to hear it... 96.1 you'll be hard pressed to catch a decent signal north of 53 Ave or SR 70... Signal also drops off by the airport, so it must be north of Tallevast area east of us 41.. as their signal can sometimes be picked up, although scratchy nearly to I-75...

flwfg said:
Hum... 103.1..Used to be owned by a guy in Pescara Lakes MHP off 57th Ave W in Bradenton.. He passed away, and according to his wife, she gave or sold all the equipment to someone in another MHP somewhere in Palmetto area...(Damn.. I missed it by days !!) Don't get north of the Manatee River much so never tried to hear it... 96.1 you'll be hard pressed to catch a decent signal north of 53 Ave or SR 70... Signal also drops off by the airport, so it must be north of Tallevast area east of us 41.. as their signal can sometimes be picked up, although scratchy nearly to I-75...
When he first came on, the signal was not as good as it is now. It was very scratchy on Tallevast, almost non-existent. It is now clear at the airport.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

DFed him Saturday. Using the hand-held Pro-60 scanner and bearings, confirmed the site almost 2 miles NNE of SRQ airport parking lot (US-41 entrance) where initial bearings were taken, then drove the airport parameter. Finally a weak signal on the scanner with the duck antenna removed and held out the sunroof, for less than a block. Then spotted a surprisingly short stick (15-20 feet) mounted on the right (east) side of the house, a location north of Whitfield Rd. Frequency meter with paper clip for antenna reading from the car confirmed. Total time till located: 30 minutes. I won't give his address here. Though about paying a visit, but was a bit pressed for time. If anyone personally knows him and wants to warn him of his very strong signal (this day, anyway) write me directly with Whitfield Radio in the subject line so I don't assume it's spam. This offer null and void for FCC, FDLE or country Sheriff's employees.

No trace of 103.1 this day (Saturday), unfortunately.

TerryKay said:
DFed him Saturday. Using the hand-held Pro-60 scanner and bearings, confirmed the site almost 2 miles NNE of SRQ airport parking lot (US-41 entrance) where initial bearings were taken, then drove the airport parameter. Finally a weak signal on the scanner with the duck antenna removed and held out the sunroof, for less than a block. Then spotted a surprisingly short stick (15-20 feet) mounted on the right (east) side of the house, a location north of Whitfield Rd. Frequency meter with paper clip for antenna reading from the car confirmed. Total time till located: 30 minutes. I won't give his address here. Though about paying a visit, but was a bit pressed for time. If anyone personally knows him and wants to warn him of his very strong signal (this day, anyway) write me directly with Whitfield Radio in the subject line so I don't assume it's spam. This offer null and void for FCC, FDLE or country Sheriff's employees.

No trace of 103.1 this day (Saturday), unfortunately.

That is the same house I saw. The only reason it took me about 30 minutes is because he borders a "lake". I "DFed" him with 96.3 and a West Marine multi-function VHF on the floor of the car. ;D - You don't need very sophisticated equipment for him.

As for 103.1, I only heard him for a couple of days and he was gone. Probably either got bored or was part of a block party enhancement.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

flwfg said:
Yesterday afternoon, I heard Grant Hudson (Formerly of Clear Channel - Sarasota) doing local weather on 96.1- " Radio Whitfield" ...obviously from the county line area around SRQ airport... ANYONE have any info on this.??. Tried searching on line, but nothing found.. the music mix was pretty good for the short time I heard it... also running PSA's ...
Thanks for any info...

flwfg: Please shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Great reception all the way to my house, last night.

I don't think more power, the atmosphere was keeping the other stations away so it appeared stronger.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

badjef said:

I don't think more power, the atmosphere was keeping the other stations away so it appeared stronger.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

No more power, no additional height. The only change has been a switch from a GP to a J-Pole but that was some time ago.

SarasotaJim said:
badjef said:

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

No more power, no additional height. The only change has been a switch from a GP to a J-Pole but that was some time ago.
I do not know those antennas by name, but I am listening to it (albeit scratchy) in my driveway. K-Rock is not there nor is the 96.1 in Dade City. Both of those signals generally fight it out and Radio Whitfield is left out in the cold underneath both of them.

It is definitely atmosphere attenuating the higher powered stations.

What kind of station is this? I do not find it listed on any of the FCC's pages.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I do not know those antennas by name.....

The GP refers to a "Ground Plane" antenna that typically can be either a 1/4 vertical element with 3 to four radials at the base or it can be a commercial antenna made by Comet that is a 5/8 wave antenna that exhibits some gain.

The j-pole is an interesting antenna that can be easily home-brewed.
http://www.solorb.com/elect/microfm/jpole.gif

Hope this helps. :)

druidhillsradio said:
I do not know those antennas by name.....

The GP refers to a "Ground Plane" antenna that typically can be either a 1/4 vertical element with 3 to four radials at the base or it can be a commercial antenna made by Comet that is a 5/8 wave antenna that exhibits some gain.

The j-pole is an interesting antenna that can be easily home-brewed.
http://www.solorb.com/elect/microfm/jpole.gif

Hope this helps. :)
I did not associate GP for ground plane. My appologies. But I haven't seen that J pole at the Radio Whitfield location either.

His antenna looks more like an outrigger.

FYI, each time, I've been near the house, I've gotten called away. Eventually, I will stop and knock on the door.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Eventually, I will stop and knock on the door.

Snap a picture of the antenna only and post. I would be interested in what it looked like. Not sure what you meant by outrigger unless its was a wire antenna of some sort?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom