• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Memories of great radio in Wyoming.

Ronn

Inactive
Inactive User
Wyoming may seem a bit “back woodsy” as a radio market, but some really great radio talent has traveled through The Cowboy State. In the early ‘80s’ KUUY and KKAZ, Cheyenne housed in a double wide trailer at the old Poor Farm had some incredible talent. Terrell Metheny, who had programmed in New York City and managed in Milwaukee, brought in Bob McKay who went on to Miami and Philadelphia as a country music programmer and has been inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Fred Imus, brother of Don, did overnights on KUUY. The Flying Dutchman, from Baltimore did mornings on KKAZ. “Bronco” Johnny, better known nationally as “Bwana” Johnny worked in NYC, Seattle and other large markets before and after Cheyenne. Chuck White was a notable programmer in Texas and Louisiana. Jennifer Wilde became Wendy Wilde and worked for WCCO, Minneapolis and was a talk personality on Aire America. Chuck Bailey was well known in these parts and had some success in Colorado and Florida. Wally Boller had been the play-by-play voice of Iowa State University. Jim Cumberland was an award winning news ;D director who went on to Washington state and California. It paid off. KUUY and KKAZ, together, had more listeners than all other stations heard in Cheyenne combined. Are there other great memories of Wyoming radio?

And, I forgot one of the best and longest running at KKAZ....air personality and program director John Ramsey, who later was successful in Little Rock and in Minnesota. Sadly, John was killed on a motorcyle in Cheyenne at a much too early age.

A buddy of mine, Greg Williams started his radio career in Casper at KATI in the late 70's, worked in Kemmerer for a bit then headed to Los Angeles and changed his name to Jamie Osborn in the early 80's. Eventually worked with Scott Shannon at Pirate Radio and I believe his show was number one in the ratings if memory serves me correctly. He hosted several syndicated shows for Westwood One including the national version of Pirate Radio and American Dance Tracks. He now has an internet talk show out of Las Vegas. Roger Mayer who also worked at KATI and in Jackson Hole now has his own consultant business.

I was the "Donny Claunch" that Kiddieland spoke of above. I miss those old days of Casper radio in the 70's. I have lost contact with nearly everyone except the old KATI staff as we have a reunion every year. But the KVOC staff (many of which were mentioned by Kiddieland) I have lost touch with over the years. Anyone know where Dick Grogg and Barb Richardson are these days?

For those who remember Terry Gross. I received word last week he passed away. He was living in Milwaukee.

Terry and I worked together at WFTL Fort Lauderdale. I remember how excited he was to get mornings on KTWO.

Donny,

It's Mike Lee from KVOC...I don't know if you remember me. Barb Richardson is in South Bend, Indiana. The last I heard from Dick Grogg he was somewhere in Indiana as well serving as GM of a station. Email me if you get a chance. [email protected]

So sorry to hear about the passing of Terry Gross. I remember him from KTWO very well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom