• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Meet the teens running fan pages for 2000s TV shows that aired when they were babies

This I expect 2000's TV shows to be classified as classic TV for the streamers sometime in this decade as some members of GenZ start setting up retro 2000's in their reviews of shows at the time. 2k1 Radio was doing the same thing in music.

Holloway runs @marriedtochuckbasss, a "Gossip Girl" fan page on TikTok with over 30,000 followers. She's one of many teenagers running a fan page for a show that aired before their time.

Streaming platforms have opened up the door for today's teens to discover yesterday's young adult shows, and they can't get enough. Whether it's because of the attractive 20-something casts, unrealistic storylines, nostalgic fashion, or the fantasy of a pre-social media adolescence, today's teens love these shows. And in some cases, new generations of young fans have led to their resurgences in popular culture.

The definition I usually use of "classic" would be 20 years old or greater. So the 1972 WDVR aircheck on my Archive page would definitely be considered "classic" yet the Muzak streamcaps still have quite a while to go.

Anyways, this is not a new concept. In the early 2000s, 1980s nostalgia was starting, and my high school classmates and I were making fan pages (remember Webrings? Geocities?) about 80s TV shows that ran when we were in pre-K or before we were born. This was also years before the idea of "hipster irony" was ever conceived. About the only thing that really has changed is today there many more ways to actually see the programming than sparse VHS "best-of" compilations (or maybe being lucky enough to find an episode of your favourite programme on a crappy EP-mode off-air recording) or half-an-hour a day on a cable channel. And they're doing it on social media websites which didn't exist around the turn of the century.... but we did have Usenet, BBSes and Webrings. Otherwise, same thing; different decade.

And you know it's funny, a lot of us back then felt kind of the same way about early 2000s TV as these kids feel about early 20s TV, yet I'm sure that a lot of us can agree that production values have sunk so low during the meantime that shows we despised at the time are like a breath of fresh air today. (Which is *also* what people were saying then....)

It's really good to see that young/er people are following in our footsteps, whether they know it or not, and still have the desire and the drive to do such things, in fact it's probably needed now more so than it was when my generation (Gen Y) was doing it, so kudos to them for doing it and hopefully there will be many more.

Last edited:
The definition I usually use of "classic" would be 20 years old or greater. So the 1972 WDVR aircheck on my Archive page would definitely be considered "classic" yet the Muzak streamcaps still have quite a while to go.

Anyways, this is not a new concept. In the early 2000s, 1980s nostalgia was starting, and my high school classmates and I were making fan pages (remember Webrings? Geocities?) about 80s TV shows that ran when we were in pre-K or before we were born. This was also years before the idea of "hipster irony" was ever conceived. About the only thing that really has changed is today there many more ways to actually see the programming than sparse VHS "best-of" compilations (or maybe being lucky enough to find an episode of your favourite programme on a crappy EP-mode off-air recording) or half-an-hour a day on a cable channel. And they're doing it on social media websites which didn't exist around the turn of the century.... but we did have Usenet, BBSes and Webrings. Otherwise, same thing; different decade.

And you know it's funny, a lot of us back then felt kind of the same way about early 2000s TV as these kids feel about early 20s TV, yet I'm sure that a lot of us can agree that production values have sunk so low during the meantime that shows we despised at the time are like a breath of fresh air today. (Which is *also* what people were saying then....)

It's really good to see that young/er people are following in our footsteps, whether they know it or not, and still have the desire and the drive to do such things, in fact it's probably needed now more so than it was when my generation (Gen Y) was doing it, so kudos to them for doing it and hopefully there will be many more.
I remember Geocities it was the WordPress and Blogspot of the early 2000's before Yahoo shut it down due to the recession of 2008-2009.

2Bit - A website about 2bit stuff.

In fact there is a group called neocities where this group gets the former intellectual property of Geocities and reuse it as an alternative version of WordPress, Blogspot, Wix, Weebly. Yes I initially thought when I visited these pages on neocities all these people were in their 40's reliving their 20's on this venue. I later found out that the majority of their audience was not born yet or were babies at the time.

Last edited:

Apparently this is being a thing a trend for 2000's nostalgia. I was thinking these people who are doing this were people in their 35-40's thinking about who and where they were when George W Bush was President or where they were when 9/11 took place. Had no idea some of these people talking about 2000's nostalgia were born in the 9/11 era. I was expecting 2000's nostalgia to pop in 2025-2030 when Youtube Turns 20 years old or when the 30's anniversary of Y2k is out. Mainly because I just remember hearing John Mayer in his recent album to celebrate his 20 years in music he is doing retro 90's sounding songs right now. I thought Retro 90's were going to pop first though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom