• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Major statewide allocation musical chairs in the works

It looks like a handful of radio stations are trying to orchestrate a massive allocation change. Although it's far from being approved, here's how it would pan out (if I read everything correctly):

KSWG (96.3) - Stays in Wickenburg, but moves to Towers Mountain with similar facilities as KKFR 98.3.

KKLD (95.9) - Moves from Cottonwood to Clarkdale; class from C0 to C, and transmitter site from Mingus to Mormon Mountain (closer to Flagstaff).

KRFM (96.5 Show Low) - Moves to 106.9 FM from same site.

KWKM (95.7 St. Johns) - Moves to 96.5 FM from same site.

KQST (102.9 Sedona) - Moves from Class C on Mormon Mountain to Class C0 on Mingus Mountain.

KVGS (107.9) - COL change from Laughlin, NV to Meadview, AZ; transmitter site about 10-15 miles north of current facility

KFTT (103.1 Bagdad) - Moves to 107.7 FM from same site.

KJJJ (102.3) - COL change from Lake Havasu City to Laughlin, NV; transmitter site 40 miles north of current location, and class from C2 to C1

Overwhelmed yet? Who benefits and who loses?

Eric Stein said:
Overwhelmed yet? Who benefits and who loses?

I'd have to give the booby prize to KRFM/Show Low. Not only do they get to move down to the
end of the dial - but their present frequency will be then occupied by a cross-town competitor!

YIPES!

Re: Major ...musical chairs

Hope moving the stick at 95.9 KKLD The Cloud doesn't diminish the Chino Valley / Prescott signal that much.
They have some fairly good variety in their oldies. Of special note is Sundays at noon
"The Beatles with Casey Petroski" is an insightful look at everything Beatles. Just keeps getting better...

I had mentioned in an earlier post, is there any progress with 99.1 Magic in Prescott - can't they get that signal pumped up a bunch? It is weak unless you are right in "The Skit" - - -

Re: Major ...musical chairs

fusejockey said:
Hope moving the stick at 95.9 KKLD The Cloud doesn't diminish the Chino Valley / Prescott signal that much.
They have some fairly good variety in their oldies. Of special note is Sundays at noon
"The Beatles with Casey Petroski" is an insightful look at everything Beatles. Just keeps getting better...

I had mentioned in an earlier post, is there any progress with 99.1 Magic in Prescott - can't they get that signal pumped up a bunch? It is weak unless you are right in "The Skit" - - -

It appears to me that KKLD and KQST will just be swapping facilities - getting a re-tune of each transmitter, and new antenna systems. So, if you can receive KQST right now, you'll be able to hear the new KKLD (that is, if these changes get approved).

As for KTMG, there is an outstanding application for a boost to 25kW (Class C3) from its current site. It was filed in October, so it might take a while to be approved. They've taken steps to protect the work-in-progress KMZQ in Payson (which will be 99.3 FM). I don't know how much of a difference this bump in power will make when it comes to reception outside of Prescott city limits.

KAJM 104.3 just moved from Pine (licensed to Payson) to a mountain a several miles north of Phoenix (licensed to Camp Verde).

I noticed there is an application accepted for filing for sister station KNRJ 101.1 to do the same, and on top of that 101.1 KRRK (overlaps KNRJ between Kingman, AZ and Seligman, AZ) was recently purchased by Smoke & Mirrors, and the original owner was Murphy Broadcasting. KRRK plans to move to the location of the Channel 6 transmitter near Lake Havasu City and lower the power to 2750 Watts, but from that mountain they'll definitely put a signal into Flagstaff, how will that affect KNRJ's Flagstaff translator K292DF 106.3?

Personally, I hope KRRK goes to simulcast KNRJ, that would be awesome.

Also, I noticed that 101.1 KPLD in Kanab, UT (overlaps KNRJ between the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff, AZ) has a CP to lower its power from 100,000 Watts to 79,000 Watts. Btw, does anybody know why they brand as Planet 94.3?

94.3 is a 10 watt translator in St. George! Shouldn't they brand as Planet 101.1 or at least Planet 94.3 & 101.1? They also have several other translators including 97.7, 100.1 and 2 at 103.1. Does anybody know the logic behind this?

Something else...94.7 KFLG in Kingman changed its COL to Big River, CA and also has an application sent in to move to the Channel 6 transmitter site. KFLG is owned by Cameron.

DJ_Whammy said:
Also, I noticed that 101.1 KPLD in Kanab, UT (overlaps KNRJ between the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff, AZ) has a CP to lower its power from 100,000 Watts to 79,000 Watts. Btw, does anybody know why they brand as Planet 94.3?

94.3 is a 10 watt translator in St. George! Shouldn't they brand as Planet 101.1 or at least Planet 94.3 & 101.1? They also have several other translators including 97.7, 100.1 and 2 at 103.1. Does anybody know the logic behind this?

I'm sure 99% of KPLD's audience is listening to the translator...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom