• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mainstream Urbans with no mixshows

bucwhyl

Banned
IMO, I think it's a sin for a hip hop station not to have mixshows. Such a boring experience...
I know two that is like this:

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

Are there any others, so I know not to even waste my time trying to listen to them?

bucwhyl said:
IMO, I think it's a sin for a hip hop station not to have mixshows. Such a boring experience...

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

Are there any others, so I know not to even waste my time trying to listen to them?

I have a question to ask, why is that? I'm a huge avid music listener of contemporary hip-hop and R&B stations with high quality musical programming, but could care less about mixing 60% of the time.

WKKV Milwaukee

They have a jockless, prerecorded mixshow from 6-7 PM and live (but short) mixes on weekends during "The Red Zone" with Nalege......but no major mixshows

Mixshows definitely add to a station but what I really miss is the WVEE/WBLK/WDKX/KTCX model, dayparted musical programming intended to appeal to a variety of audiences.

kilamanjero said:
bucwhyl said:

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

I have a question to ask, why is that? I'm a huge avid music listener of contemporary hip-hop and R&B stations with high quality musical programming, but could care less about mixing 60% of the time.

I could care less about the same few songs being played over and over. Mixshows brings new songs, forgotten songs, and adds a little spice, as well as remixes to those same ol' songs. They bring excitement and showcase a dj's skills.

bucwhyl said:
kilamanjero said:
bucwhyl said:

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

I could care less about the same few songs being played over and over. Mixshows brings new songs, forgotten songs, and adds a little spice, as well as remixes to those same ol' songs. They bring excitement and showcase a dj's skills.

If a station is well programmed then new songs, old songs, and remixes will be spun. Mixshows only add something to a station if they are complementing that aforementioned things rather than be the only thing of quality on the mundane format that is mainstream urban. All I have to do is point to KMEL as proof of this because they migrated from mainstream to full-service urban contemporary because of this yet still maintained and increase the duration/frequency of mixshows.

Kila, your favorite station V103 mixes weekdays at 12pm, 5pm and 9pm. Don't forget Saturdays 12pm, 5pm, 9pm and 10pm-2am. Sundays at 5pm too. The songs in each of those mixshows are mostly not in regular rotation. I see what Buc is talking about because even though some stations daypart, the majority of songs spun are the same top 20 songs nationwide.

I don't think CC's 94.1 THE BEAT in Savannah has mixshows anymore.

kilamanjero said:
bucwhyl said:

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

Im not a real big mix guy either. If we could have a station that went deep cuts with New Jack/Classic Hip Hop Hits(1987-2000) I would be in hog heaven.

bucwhyl said:

Z92.3- Killeen, Texas
B106-Temple, Texas

Both stations are sorry. I don't even bother listening to those stations anymore. Z92.3 has only 1 live DJ, 1 DJ voicetracking from Miami, and the rest is run by iHeartRadio with the exception of The Steve Harvey Morning Show and The Gospel Traxx with Walt Baby Love. In this area, Hot 93.3, The Beat 104.3 (both from Austin) and most recently 104.9/106.9 The Beat from Waco are sorely missed. I would listen to those stations more because they had mixshows and specialty shows I would listen to all the time. The only stations I listen to is V103 from Atlanta, GA and SiriusXM radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom