• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM's in the Tampa Bay Area

I decided to look at the LPFM Database and I was astounded to see the amount of licensed LPFM stations in our area. If I counted correctly there are 21 stations.
90.1 WYPO BRANDON
92.7 WLSL SAINT LEO
93.7 WSEU LAKELAND
96.3 WPCQ CLEARWATER
96.3 WBPU SAINT PETE
96.3 WSCU SUN CITY CENTER
96.3 WURK TAMPA
96.7 WZPH DADE CITY (Z-HILLS)
96.7 WMTB SAINT PETE
99.1 WUJM SAINT PETE
99.1 WVVD SEFFNER
100.1 WUPB SAINT PETE
100.1 WGCF SUN CITY CENTER
100.1 WVVF TOWN 'N COUNTRY
101.9 WSDX BRANDON
102.1 WWFH LAND 'O LAKES
102.7 WXIO RIDGE MANOR
102.9 WZEU WEEKI-WATCHEE
105.1 WWTZ TAMPA
106.9 WQTA TAMPA
107.9 WPHC SPRING HILL

I wonder why almost every one of these is a dot COM?
They should all be dot ORGs and dot EDUs except for the MyClearwater one which should be a dot FL dot US.
Let us link to them:

_90.1 WYPO Brandon
_92.7 WLSL Saint Leo
_93.7 WSEU Lakeland (Facebook)
_96.3 WPCQ Clearwater
_96.3 WBPU Saint Petersburg
_96.3 WSCQ Sun City Center
_96.3 WURK Tampa (no web presence & currently off air)
_96.7 WZPH Dade City (Zephyr Hills)
_96.7 WMTB Saint Petersburg
_99.1 WUJM Saint Petersburg
_99.1 WVVD Seffner
100.1 WUBP Saint Petersburg (currently off the air)
100.1 WGGF Sun City Center
100.1 WVVF Town and Country
101.9 WSDX Brandon
101.9 WPHX Ruskin
102.1 WWFH Land O’Lakes
102.7 WXIO Ridge Manor
102.9 WZEU Weeki-Watchi
105.1 WWTZ Tampa
106.9 WQTA Tampa (replaced by W295CF, WYOU translator)
107.9 WPHC Spring Hill (no web presence)

(I know, but...)
It bothers me!

get over it, big whoop..... the average listener probably doesnt know its a non comm and not a ton of people kjnow the difference between .org or .com

I hate to admit this, but; I'm in Lakeland and in the business, yet didn't know that 93.7 existed. In all fairness I'm not on that side of town, though.
It's a bit of a shame that the FCC didn't let more LPFMs on the air instead off so many translators as I think the content would have been a lot more interesting.

I hate to admit this, but; I'm in Lakeland and in the business, yet didn't know that 93.7 existed. In all fairness I'm not on that side of town, though.
It's a bit of a shame that the FCC didn't let more LPFMs on the air instead off so many translators as I think the content would have been a lot more interesting.

Jimmy I agree. Not to mention that LPFM's are limited to 100 watts ERP and translators 250? Go figure that one out.

Jimmy I agree. Not to mention that LPFM's are limited to 100 watts ERP and translators 250? Go figure that one out.

And translators have no limit on height. Look at the Albuquerque ones that are a couple of thousand feet above the market and cover close to all the population!

LPFMs are "community stations". Translators are intended to have broader coverage.

And translators have no limit on height.
A 250 watt translator at 1,500 feet on the Riverview tower would be like a full class A, 6KW @328 feet
A 250 watt translator on a 7,000 foot mountain would be like a full class B, 50Kw@500 feet
A 250 watt translator in a weather balloon at 40,000 feet would be like a full class C, 100Kw@2000 feet
A 250 watt translator in low earth orbit at 500 miles over the twin cities could be "Coast to coast FM"s only affiliate
(except for Alaska and Hawaii)

And translators have no limit on height.
An LPFM at up to one hundred feet would radiate one hundred watts.
An LPFM at two hundred feet would radiate to twenty-five watts.
An LPFM at three hundred feet would radiate eleven watts.
An LPFM at five hundred feet would radiate four watts.
An LPFM at seven hundred feet would radiate two watts.
An LPFM at a thousand feet would radiate one singe watt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom