• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM Failures

The Way-Fm folks are good people. We have a fulltime WAY FM in Tallahassee.

Just a note for RDP,

WAY has stations in Montgomery, roughly 50 miles from you. If those can be heard in Selma, it could be that Selma could be excluded from having an affiliate. But, not necessarily. Just wanted you to be aware of the proximity of a full time WAY station to where you are. Sometimes, it matters.

RDP,

You shouldn't have any problem, then, if you decide to affiliate with them. I'd recommend just using some dayparts for this reason: I don't know if/why/how the FCC will enforce it, but they are wanting LPFMs to pledge at least 8 hours per day of local programming. That pledge (and living up to your word_ is worth a point in case of mutually exclusive situations (if someone else files for the same facilities as you.)

FCC has stated they may begin monitoring stations to see if applicants are doing what they said.

May or may not be anything to this, but I am going all local with mine. There are no Christian format holes except for Southern Gospel in my area.

Josh,

May be, in some places. Like most areas, translators are all over the place. I am 27 miles, roughly, from the Georgia/Florida state line. First station across the line is black gospel station WSTT, AM-730, in Beachton. It comes into Tallahassee like a local and had some ratings a couple of years ago.

Cumulus is trying a positive country/CCM mix called the Walk on a translator in Atlanta. I believe it is an HD-2 feed from one of their other stations. I listened on iHeart Radio and really liked it, better than K-Love as far as a personal choice. It might be an interesting station to watch.

CCM seems to be pretty well covered. Southern gospel, not so much. I have listened to WTYS on 94.1 in Marianna, Fla., while traveling and enjoyed it. Can't listen to home, though, due to WAKU-Wave 94, a praise and worship/talk station that I can barely pick up, and don't care for.

I like some CCM, but less so than when I worked in the format from 1983-1988 and 1996 to 2001.

josh said:
DEAR Alan McCall,

Is Georgia a good market for new Christian Radio stations? josh

There is a lot of "Christianity" on the radio in Georgia. I've heard some that probably is serving much good purpose... but that is a good discussion for another day.

It doesn't strike me as a great place for an outsider to just parachute in and say: "Right here. I'm going to put a Christian station!"

Like any other genre of radio station, one would have to look a markets and size them up, figure out what drives that particular community or market, and can you identify the entities that would become revenue sources once you built or acquired your station. But couldn't we say that about any state, any region of America?

Remember, this IS The Bible Belt! Some people say Nashville, TN is "the Buckle of The Bible Belt". Then that makes Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia the "Big Fat Belly" of the Bible Belt.

Are you going to find market places here that are Bible-barren, big fat juicy markets that have been ignored and waiting to be picked? I don't think so. But you may find a few communities where with good planning you can hope to establish a robust Christian station, but it will take effort.

Running a radio station based solely on the type of music you enjoy is likely to be a formula for failure, especially if there are other stations in your area that are doing something similar. The best advice I can give anyone is to study what the other guys are doing, and do something they don't. I've found that idea works in most businesses, not just radio.

Agreed, if your in a town with a lot of signals find a niche format. If you are in an area with no competition look at the arbitron for the county and see what the top stations are doing and try to steal some of their audience. Do some kind of local survey and see what the local people what to hear. Not just in music but other things like spoting events(high school,little league) political talk shows..Anything to get the community involved. If you can get the local businesses listening that is where you underwriting will come from.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom