• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Low Power FM in Colorado

They play more newer music than I would be happy with, but I haven't heard "Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" by Juice Newton in many years. Very funny video.

Oh, wow, "All in a Night's Work" by Dean Martin. I don't think I ever heard it before but it's good.

It sure sounded like they were running commercials to me.

in an amazing coincidence, they played the theme for "Dukes of Hazzard" on the same day I saw a newspaper article on the General Lee and edited Wikipedia's article on the car to reflect what that article said and resolve some apparent conflicts between what the Wikipedia article already said and other news sources. It seems the museum that has one General Lee wanted another.

Not sure what might happen with this station. They just got slapped with a $15,000 fine for running commercials on a non-commercial frequency. Here's the link: https://www.radioworld.com/news-and...fter-allegedly-promoting-14-businesses-on-air. There are a couple of other Radio Discussions posts concerning this.

Their website has a scroll of "sponsors" running......right underneath there's a button to "Donate Now".....????!!!
So.....is Plymouth Gathering (the owner) actually "commercial"??? The "sponsor messages" that run sure sound like bona-fide ADS to me!!
Hey....sorry....but I'll listen and ENJOY the music --- as long as they stay on the air/stream....!!
Strange mix, though......the Blackwood Brothers to Bob Dylan!!!!

The licensee must be a non-profit organization to hold a LPFM license.

I should clarify: what you hear on the air and what you hear via the stream can be different. I know of some LPFM stations that run commercials on the stream and Underwriting on the air. The FCC regulates the airwaves but not the streaming side. If you are hearing bonafide commercials on the stream, that's fine. It's when the underwriting credits become commercial over the air that there is a violation of FCC rules.

I checked their website too. I wonder how legit their figures are on the ratings they post showing them the most listened to station in town.

I checked their website too. I wonder how legit their figures are on the ratings they post showing them the most listened to station in town.

Greeley is in the Ft Collins Nielsen market and the station was rated 7th in the Fall book with an AQH persons of 800. The #1 station beats them about 6 to 1 in persons. But it is rated and pretty well for an LPFM.

Last edited:
Given the very small geographic area covered by a LPFM compared to full power stations, showing up in the ratings at all is quite an accomplishment. To reach a top 10 position, regardless of market, is something to be proud of.

The LPFM Oldies station in my area runs underwriting announcements that sound like commercials but there is no "call to action". I listened to one spot set and it sounds like they barely escape a "call to action". On the other hand, many actual commercials don't get any closer. I think of Coke ads, where they just connect to a lifestyle and don't say anything about using their product.

Last edited:
The LPFM Oldies station in my area runs underwriting announcements that sound like commercials but there is no "call to action".

They also can not, among other things, list specials, too many brands, price-item comparisons or use comparative terms like "we beat all competition". Puffery is also not acceptable as in "the best barbecue assortment of any area hardware store" or "nobody beats our prices".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom