• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lost credit card found underwater, 25 years later

quadraphonic said:
People spear fish in 90 feet of water?
Seems like fish would have the upper hand in that scenario.

It is commonplace to spear fish (using SCUBA) in ocean waters off the Pacific coast. Certain varieties of fish, such as Ling Cod, are deep water. And you'd think the fish would be wary of divers but most are not. If you move slowly you can usually swim to within a few feet of them. It wasn't "sport" - it was dinner. ;D

I remember finding a wallet underwater at Lake Powell years ago. It had been lost by a guy in Flagstaff who worked at Purina Feeds (and his ID card was still in the wallet). We often wondered what reaction he had when it was returned to him by someone else who lived in Flagstaff because, although the wallet had no money, it did have a condom. :eek:

Do they have like harpoons or something?
I'm just wondering. It seems like it would be hard to get much throwing thrust on a spear down there.
Pardon my ignorance, I've just never spear fished. :)

quadraphonic said:
I'm just wondering. It seems like it would be hard to get much throwing thrust on a spear down there.

There are two main types of spears used for underwater fishing. One is simply a shaft with a spear head on one end and an elastic band on the other. You hook the band around a finger sliding your hand towards the spear end until you have sufficient tension to launch the spear by using your finger as the trigger. It doesn't have to travel very far - sometimes only it's own length. Your arm doesn't move through the water when launching the spear.

The other type is powered, usually by a CO2 cartridge, and is a lot more powerful. Used for bigger game fish and in James Bond movies. ;D

landtuna said:
quadraphonic said:

It is commonplace to spear fish (using SCUBA) in ocean waters off the Pacific coast. Certain varieties of fish, such as Ling Cod, are deep water. And you'd think the fish would be wary of divers but most are not. If you move slowly you can usually swim to within a few feet of them. It wasn't "sport" - it was dinner. ;D

I remember finding a wallet underwater at Lake Powell years ago. It had been lost by a guy in Flagstaff who worked at Purina Feeds (and his ID card was still in the wallet). We often wondered what reaction he had when it was returned to him by someone else who lived in Flagstaff because, although the wallet had no money, it did have a condom. :eek:

I once found a wallet not long ago on the sidewalk filled with cash ($124), but I couldn't bring myself to take it because it also had an EBT food stamp card and the woman who lost it (an older woman, according to her ID card) probably needed it more than anything. I was right. When I brought it to her, she burst into tears because her rent was due and that money was to go to pick up a money order to pay her portion of her subsidized Section 8 housing. Otherwise, she faced eviction and she had no other means to pay her rent.

landtuna said:
quadraphonic said:

There are two main types of spears used for underwater fishing. One is simply a shaft with a spear head on one end and an elastic band on the other. You hook the band around a finger sliding your hand towards the spear end until you have sufficient tension to launch the spear by using your finger as the trigger. It doesn't have to travel very far - sometimes only it's own length. Your arm doesn't move through the water when launching the spear.

The other type is powered, usually by a CO2 cartridge, and is a lot more powerful. Used for bigger game fish and in James Bond movies. ;D
Thanks. I woulda never thought of that...(or that people would go to that much trouble for fishing? :) )

Bongwater said:
landtuna said:
quadraphonic said:

I once found a wallet not long ago on the sidewalk filled with cash ($124), but I couldn't bring myself to take it because it also had an EBT food stamp card and the woman who lost it (an older woman, according to her ID card) probably needed it more than anything. I was right. When I brought it to her, she burst into tears because her rent was due and that money was to go to pick up a money order to pay her portion of her subsidized Section 8 housing. Otherwise, she faced eviction and she had no other means to pay her rent.
Nice work, Bongwater!!!!!!!

I agree with Quad...good for you Bongwater! Your honesty and sense of decency should be rewarded with an all expenses paid spear fishing trip. ;D

It's a karma thing. :) If I were in her shoes, I'd be just as grateful. She even offered me $20 but I refused to take it. I didn't need it anywhere nearly as badly as she did. I just told her to pay it forward......It's a scary world out there and folks need help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom