• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for orban 222a stereoenhancer

F

fugazi

Hi Gents,

I am looking for an orban 222a Stereo enhancer.

BR

Evert

Hi Bill,

I believe both units widened the L-R field with dynamic behaviour. And were tracking L+R to do so.
The 222a uses L-R amplifcation ( gain cell ) to widen the stereofield, but in respect to the total balance of the L+R and the L-R. Hence the use of a width limiter.

The MAX uses a delay in the L-R path to decorrelate the relation with L+R. Hence the preception arrises that there is more stereo in the program material.

According to my opinion the 222a is much more musical, but very subtile. It's hard to notice it's effect.

THe Max is a more over the top effect, which is very nice for dance music, but not at all for oldies.

BR

Evert

It's a matter of taste as to which one sounds better. Newer digital Optimods have a built-in stereo enhancer which can emulate either the 222A or the StereoMaxx.

Insert Quote
It's a matter of taste as to which one sounds better.

You are 100% correct, as stated in my text as well.
Although i dislike the digital "emulations" of the 222a. But again that is personal.

Evert

fugazi said:
THe Max is a more over the top effect, which is very nice for dance music, but not at all for oldies.

Very true. I had one in an air chain for an Oldies station and it played havoc with many of The Carpenter's mixes.

Hi Ronaldo... ;-) ( best soccer player ever )

I do not know the unit. But i may assume it is from the orban ( Bob Orban's ) kitchen so i would not be amazed if it acts similar to the 222a.

BR

Evert

IMHO, the StereoMaxx just enhanced multipath. Wherever I heard it, it sounded ridiculous. Same with the BBE "exciter."

Not to say the two boxes were similar, but one station I worked for picked up about 10-15 miles listenable fringe coverage-just by removing the BBE.

And there still is the issue (for most people) of mono compatibility, the StereoMaxx of course completely destroying it.

SFM-Ptgal said:
What was your opinion regarding the CRL stereo enhancer, wich made part of one of the "black boxes" they had? At the time (mid 90's) I enjoyed it more than the Orban's.
The stereo enhancer in the CRL Amigo FM is pretty unobtrusive. Most of the time you'll need to wear headphones to hear it doing anything, even when the indicator LED shows that it is boosting the L-R gain. But on some music which was recorded with very little stereo separation, like some of Billy Joel's late '70s and early '80s songs, it opens up wide and then you can hear it even through a car stereo.

I had a 222a and an Aphex aural exciter (can't remember if type b or type c) with my Ultramod. IMHO, both really added some tasty icing to the cake. Very open and musical.

My opinion of the Stereo Maxx is that it really had lots of effect but made music sound like it was playing in a basketball arena.

My vote is for the Orban. Used sparingly, it is a nice adjunct.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom