• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

live delay

Hi all,
It seems to be a common belief that any live event must be delayed by a few seconds to prevent any FCC prohibited material from making it to air, but is this actually the case, and where does it apply? I've noticed it on TV, but not so much on radio. Also what's with radio stations in HD? Is that a limitation of the technology itself?

Yes, some form of delay has been a common practice with live shows for about 50 years or so. Radio talk shows typically will put callers and guests on delay, allowing the producer, host, or engineer to dump out of comments that are either obscene or potentially objectionable in some way. The licensee determines how they'll handle it, and we've seen many cases where they've either chosen not to delay or not to dump. It's their responsibility, and the licensee (not the guest) can be fined if someone complains. As far as HD, that's an inherent delay built into the technology.

One station I worked for in recent years never bothered with a delay for live shows. We just put callers on the air and hoped for the best. I know of only one incident where that was a problem. A caller gave a shout-out to her boyfriend and said "I can't wait to see you. I'm gonna kiss you, I'm gonna f**k you...". Me and the show host looked at each other in horror. Nothing ever became of that. I guess we got lucky.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom