• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lisa Lopez, KKFI (Kansas City) radio host, passed away in Chiefs Championship parade shooting, 41

Ah, Columbia University and the NYT give me a good idea of what color lens that linguist sees word meanings through.
You're overgeneralizing from one example. His New York Times columns tend to be quite moderate in nature and he's more than willing to question so-called "woke" dogma.

I'm a polyglot, and do see how some people want to attach colors to words. So I asked my daughter, who knows even more languages than I do (and who is as Hispanic as Luis Muñóz Marín) what her perception of "thug" was and her response was "gangster, gang member". No race attached and she considers it a non-race specific term.
You're deflecting. The American context refers specifically to African-Americans, and is tied up with the country's fraught relationship with its Black citizens. Kansas City has had its own difficult history with respect to relations with its Black population.

If you don't understand the significance of the word "Troost" then you have no idea what the situation has been like there.
Given his age, the term "thug" is the most common and usual term applied by folks that age to gang members and "enforcers" from organized crime. That is just like slightly older people than Parson still think that "gay" means "happy and fun loving".
It appears that the outbreak of violence at Union Station was very unorganized crime. In any event, Parson represents the entire state, not just old white Farm Bureau members from rural southwest Missouri like him. He should mind his words. (But he is known for gaffes.)

Words - and context - do matter.
As the only "white" guy in my living family, I think you are spending way too much time trying to classify and subdivide humanity into groups... rather than realizing that we are all really the same.
Maybe we are all the same, but our experiences are not all the same.

It's worth noting that this entire discussion thread is under the "In Memoriam" topic, which means it's really supposed to be a respectful tribute to the deceased. Since it's wandered so far off that, the topic it's listed under should probably be updated.
Agree & a lot of this bantering & such belongs in the Mass Shootings in the USA thread under Broadcasting and Politics. I actually didn't mind some of the bantering here, but it definitely goes too far when we confront each other over points being made.

Agree & a lot of this bantering & such belongs in the Mass Shootings in the USA thread under Broadcasting and Politics. I actually didn't mind some of the bantering here, but it definitely goes too far when we confront each other over points being made.
Honestly, I was getting uncomfortable with it, too. I'm ready to drop it.

I agree with the points about relevancy, but since this death was a result of a mass shooting, we can't separate the personal aspect from the societal issue which overwhelms all of us.

Now the press is focusing on Taylor Swift's reaction to the Kansas City Mass Shooting. According to the articles she called one of the family members of the Chiefs stars and donated to the victims of the mass shooting.

Ellis Feaster posted a remembrance video of Lisa Lopez Galvan on KKFI. It starts a few minutes in to the video. Her cohost is a lot louder than her, so you might have to turn up your volume to hear her:

You're overgeneralizing from one example. His New York Times columns tend to be quite moderate in nature and he's more than willing to question so-called "woke" dogma.

You're deflecting. The American context refers specifically to African-Americans, and is tied up with the country's fraught relationship with its Black citizens. Kansas City has had its own difficult history with respect to relations with its Black population.

If you don't understand the significance of the word "Troost" then you have no idea what the situation has been like there.

It appears that the outbreak of violence at Union Station was very unorganized crime. In any event, Parson represents the entire state, not just old white Farm Bureau members from rural southwest Missouri like him. He should mind his words. (But he is known for gaffes.)

Words - and context - do matter.

Maybe we are all the same, but our experiences are not all the same.
Thug does apply to whites too. Joe Biden referred to MAGA people on 1/6 as thugs, and has several times referred to people in that "cult" as such. An old friend of mine thought Jon Taffer from Bar Rescue was a thug. Though, context matters and some people on the far right go out of their way to "conjure" up what they mean for decades.

Back
Top Bottom