• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lexington, KY (December 7, 1981)

Sorry about that! I was worried we were straying iff- topic. My apologies.

No, you're fine! I wish they came back.

WLEX received NBC from an iffy microwave hop from Carew Tower in downtown Cincinnati to the WLEX transmitter site. It was vacuum tube technology and was unstable at times.

The hop consisted of microwave relay points at Walton, Williamstown and Sadieville. Summer heat thermals would sometimes obliterate the NBC signal and a " Please Stand By" card was displayed.

I don't believe that they ever switched to an OTA NBC back up from either WAVE or WLWT when that occurred.

During the two station era, CBS was delivered OTA for both.

WLEX and WKYT both, would air WCPOs and WKRCs I D cards when the station engineers couldn't react fast enough to cover them. And yes, the channel 9 jingle...

By 1970 I believe all 3 stations were getting network feeds via microwave.
I've read about that WLEX microwave relay system before, don't remember where. I think one of the relays (Sadieville?) was on top of a wooden pole.

I might be remembering when WBLG/WTVQ (don't remember which one it was at the time) carried Nick Clooney's show from WKRC. Again, I don't remember particulars.

As a kind of aside, I wonder if any of the Cincinnati or Louisville stations ever considered setting up a satellite or semi-satellite in Lexington. That wouldn't have been at all incongruous for Crosley/Avco --- "WLWL"? It wouldn't have had to be NBC. Indianapolis had WLWI which was ABC, yet carried all the WLWx local shows, Bob Braun, Paul Dixon, Phil Donahue (originally from Dayton), and so on. When you think about it, having to jump through all kinds of Rube Goldberg hoops to get network programming from Cincinnati, WLEX and WKYT were kinda-sorta semi-satellites anyway, albeit with local news.

Mason County is about 60 miles NNE of Lexington, and Dayton stations could easily be received in many parts of the county, depending on topography.

I'm not sure how they accomplished this. I'm in Campbell County in northern Kentucky, which is much closer to Dayton than Mason County is, and Dayton stations were always very hard to get. I had to watch Dayton stations when Cincinnati stations preempted stuff, and it was quite a chore.

I'm not sure how they accomplished this. I'm in Campbell County in northern Kentucky, which is much closer to Dayton than Mason County is, and Dayton stations were always very hard to get. I had to watch Dayton stations when Cincinnati stations preempted stuff, and it was quite a chore.

Broadcast signals do weird things in hilly terrain and valleys. You might have some locations with "sweet spots" where Dayton could be received fairly easily.

You start losing Louisville stations around Mt Sterling on I-64, and both Lexington and Cincinnati pretty much peter out by the time you get to the escarpment that runs from western Lewis County (around Tollesboro) and goes south-southwest. Past Morehead, you're in a world of hurt, and pretty much only the Charleston-Huntington stations remain.

I've read about that WLEX microwave relay system before, don't remember where. I think one of the relays (Sadieville?) was on top of a wooden pole.

I might be remembering when WBLG/WTVQ (don't remember which one it was at the time) carried Nick Clooney's show from WKRC. Again, I don't remember particulars.

As a kind of aside, I wonder if any of the Cincinnati or Louisville stations ever considered setting up a satellite or semi-satellite in Lexington. That wouldn't have been at all incongruous for Crosley/Avco --- "WLWL"? It wouldn't have had to be NBC. Indianapolis had WLWI which was ABC, yet carried all the WLWx local shows, Bob Braun, Paul Dixon, Phil Donahue (originally from Dayton), and so on. When you think about it, having to jump through all kinds of Rube Goldberg hoops to get network programming from Cincinnati, WLEX and WKYT were kinda-sorta semi-satellites anyway, albeit with local news.
Sadieville was correct for WLEX. Taft Broadcasting did purchase Channel 27 and changed to ABC to align with the other Taft station. They sold it in the late sixties. Bob Braun aired on WLEX from the mid seventies until the show ended in 1984.

Nick Clooney might've been on videotape when airing on Channel 62. Speaking of Channel 62 they would air WHAS' derby coverage via an antenna as there were some over the air noise. Meanwhile WLEX had a high gain antenna aimed to Cincinnati as a network back up.

Bob Braun aired on WLEX from the mid seventies until the show ended in 1984.
He was also on WSAZ Huntington WV, I'm pretty sure, on a one-day delay basis.

Nick Clooney might've been on videotape when airing on Channel 62.
I want to say it was simulcast with WKRC, but I wouldn't swear my life to it. Bicycling tapes to Lexington would have been cumbersome (but apparently WSAZ did the same thing with Bob Braun), and if it were taped off-air from WKRC, what would have been the point, aside from time-shifting?

WSAZ would have been too far, and over bad terrain, to get a reliable OTA signal from WLWT, even from Barkers Ridge where the WSAZ transmitter is located.

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know how Crosley/Avco distributed live programs to their various stations (WLWT, WLWD, WLWC, and WLWI)? Dedicated coaxial link, OTA from WLWT (or WLWD in the case of Phil Donahue, I don't know if WLWC or WLWI ever originated any Crosley/Avco programming), or microwave?

I always thought it was kind of weird that WLWI was ABC while the other WLWx stations were NBC.

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know how Crosley/Avco distributed live programs to their various stations (WLWT, WLWD, WLWC, and WLWI)? Dedicated coaxial link, OTA from WLWT (or WLWD in the case of Phil Donahue, I don't know if WLWC or WLWI ever originated any Crosley/Avco programming), or microwave?

I always thought it was kind of weird that WLWI was ABC while the other WLWx stations were NBC.
Ironically, WLWI would switch to NBC not long after the Crosley/Avco network broke up!

Ironically, WLWI would switch to NBC not long after the Crosley/Avco network broke up!
Yes, I know, when they became WTHR. Strictly speaking, though, carrying the Crosley/Avco shows (Bob Braun, Paul Dixon, Phil
Donahue, Midwestern Hayride IIRC, possibly others) didn't rely upon the WLWx station being affiliated with any one particular network. Still, though, the daytime schedules for WLWT, WLWC, and WLWD were basically identical for this reason as well as due to all being NBC affiliates. Pretty much only local news shows were different, along with some syndication.

Yes, I know, when they became WTHR. Strictly speaking, though, carrying the Crosley/Avco shows (Bob Braun, Paul Dixon, Phil
Donahue, Midwestern Hayride IIRC, possibly others) didn't rely upon the WLWx station being affiliated with any one particular network. Still, though, the daytime schedules for WLWT, WLWC, and WLWD were basically identical for this reason as well as due to all being NBC affiliates. Pretty much only local news shows were different, along with some syndication.
The answer to WLWI not getting NBC is pretty simple: WFBM had deep ties to NBC, first on radio and then as the first TV station in town, and it and its sister Time-Life stations were too important to NBC to lose.

Lume Deoderant
I see it on multiple channels during the day

I remember reading an article somewhere from years ago that Crosley/Avco did have microwave transmitters to distribute their live programs from Cincinnati to the other stations in Columbus, Dayton, and Indianapolis.

I remember reading an article somewhere from years ago that Crosley/Avco did have microwave transmitters to distribute their live programs from Cincinnati to the other stations in Columbus, Dayton, and Indianapolis.
Makes sense. It'd be more viable than any other option in the pre-satellite era.

Back
Top Bottom