• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest in Tri/Walla Walla

Can any Tri-Cities' HD radiohound explain this observation:

Today I visited the website of Alcon Media, a Spanish-language group owner in that area. Four stations (audio feeds) are listed:

* KQFO La Fiera 100.1. (Pasco WA)
* KZJJ La Ranchera 104.5 (Mesa WA) and 106.9 K295AV
* KYJJ La Gran X 94.1 (Boardman OR) and 104.9 K285FN
* KZLY Radio Lobo 99.5 (Ione OR) and 99.5 K258CN

Supposedly KQFO feeds the translators per Radio-Locator;
*KYJJ audio sent to HD2
*KZJJ audio sent to HD3

The question: So, how is 99.5 K258CN fed? Is KQFO running HD4 now? (KZLY is a little Class C3 that does not reach directly into the Tri-Cities.)

The website is alcon.media and it includes audio. (KYJJ's stream is down however.) I think the Latin Mix programming on KYJJ did not run very long but I could be wrong.

If I recall, I don't think KQFO has any HD capability right now. Much like KWDR claims to have HD to feed 102.3, U-ROCK, and other stations, but doesn't either.

95.7 AGAIN back on the aux transmitter in Kennewick with zero coverage to their city of license or anywhere outside of the 3 cities. This is a chronic problem, when the other Pikes Peak stations (KZHR/KRKL/KGTS/KXRX) don't have this issue.

Never mind - back on tonight at full power :)

If I recall, I don't think KQFO has any HD capability right now. Much like KWDR claims to have HD to feed 102.3, U-ROCK, and other stations, but doesn't either.
KQFO does transmit in HD...however, it's only HD1, the station doesn't clip the edges of its audio to accommodate the HD sidebands (so sometimes the station's music will override strong sidebands and prevent a full HD lock), and the HD sidebands don't go out beyond the lower Columbia Basin - yet somehow can be received around Hermiston and above Pendleton. It's been like that for years, even under Alexandra's ownership as 'BOB FM'.

K272ED 102.3 simulcasts KTRI directly, as Tri Country. Jacobs Radio claims to be feeding U-Rock 95.3 via 'KWDR-HD2' though weirdly enough its ID says 'KLKY-HD2'. Neither KTRI or KLKY transmit HD sidebands.

Can any Tri-Cities' HD radiohound explain this observation:

Today I visited the website of Alcon Media, a Spanish-language group owner in that area. Four stations (audio feeds) are listed:

* KQFO La Fiera 100.1. (Pasco WA)
* KZJJ La Ranchera 104.5 (Mesa WA) and 106.9 K295AV
* KYJJ La Gran X 94.1 (Boardman OR) and 104.9 K285FN
* KZLY Radio Lobo 99.5 (Ione OR) and 99.5 K258CN

Supposedly KQFO feeds the translators per Radio-Locator;
*KYJJ audio sent to HD2
*KZJJ audio sent to HD3

The question: So, how is 99.5 K258CN fed? Is KQFO running HD4 now? (KZLY is a little Class C3 that does not reach directly into the Tri-Cities.)

The website is alcon.media and it includes audio. (KYJJ's stream is down however.) I think the Latin Mix programming on KYJJ did not run very long but I could be wrong.

Alcon's site lists their stations correctly. KQFO's HD has had issues for years, with the HD2 and HD3 subchannels being more intermittent.

Prior to about a year ago,
* KQFO-HD2 was Grupera 'Magia 106.9', which fed 106.9 K295AV
* KQFO-HD3 was Spanish Pop 'Fire 104.9', which fed 104.9 K285FN

In 2021, Xana constructed and launched KYJJ which was tacked on with KYOZ out of Spokane as 'Ke Buena' while KZJJ had yet to launch. All three stations were sold in 2022, with KYOZ being purchased by Worship 24/7 while Alcon purchased KYJJ and KZJJ's CP. Once Alcon took over, they launched 'La Ranchera' on KYJJ, and launched KZJJ shortly thereafter as a simulcast of KYJJ.

Last year, Alcon broke the simulcast, flipping KYJJ to simulcast K285FN and rebranding it 'La Bomba'. A short time after that, they rebranded the stations again to 'La Gran X 94.1/104.9 Latin Mix'. A little while after, I had noticed that K295AV was flipped to a simulcast of KZJJ.

In the meantime, K258CN/KZLY rebranded as 'Radio Lobo'. The two stations have always simulcasted, even before Alcon purchased them. Translators don't necessarily have to rebroadcast stations within the primary's coverage area - that's what boosters are for - plus with KZLY and K258CN both on 99.5, it makes perfect sense for them to simulcast. Although in this case, maybe a booster would have made better sense.

I think with KQFO's HD not in proper working order, Alcon made the logical decision by tacking on 106.9 with KZJJ and 104.9 with KYJJ, so at least the two translators are fed by something, even if they didn't file a change in primary notice.

The KYJJ Boardman audio stream is back online... It is indeed a "Urban Latino" format, reminding me a lot of Bustos' "Urbana".

Audio streams:

KZJJ https://vsstreaming.com:7022/stream
KZLY https://vsstreaming.com:7030/stream
KYJJ https://vsstreaming.com:7028/stream
KQFO https://vsstreaming.com:7031/stream
KYJJ is more of a Bilingual Hot AC/CHR station. The music is a variety of both English and Spanish hits but geared to a Spanish language audience (the DJs and ads are all in Spanish). I've heard songs ranging from Morgan Wallen, Taylor Swift, Pit Bull, Aventura, and everything in between including straight up Mexican music. There is actually some pretty good music on that station.

I can get KYJJ Boardman in much of the Lower Valley, but with a weak signal. However, in Tri-Cities itself, the only 94.1 that makes it is the Walla Walla K231CT, which runs a classical music format and is operated by the folks who run KHSS-100.7 (EWTN). At least the last time I checked it was classical music.

I can get KYJJ Boardman in much of the Lower Valley, but with a weak signal. However, in Tri-Cities itself, the only 94.1 that makes it is the Walla Walla K231CT, which runs a classical music format and is operated by the folks who run KHSS-100.7 (EWTN). At least the last time I checked it was classical music.
KYJJ can be received in spots; though K231CT is much stronger.

It is indeed classical music, fed via KHSS-HD2, which is actively on. KHSS-HD3 feeds 102.3 K272EZ in Walla Walla.

KZML in Quincy has HD now - it literally came on in the last 24 hours. It is receivable in Tri-Cities with a good receiver, mainly above Richland. I do think it will be receivable north of Pasco - this I'll have to check next time I head that way. As of right now, the sidebands don't affect KKSR's ability to get out as it continues to dominate 95.7, covering the left sideband on my SDR in Moses Lake, but I do happen to have my antenna there pointed right at it so 95.7 could be hashed out in Moses Lake with a poor receiver.

Whether or not Bustos decides to put HD on their other stations is up in the air - I'd say it's possible one or two of their Tri-Cities or Yakima stations could go HD at some point, but it's unlikely at this time.

The main question now is what Bustos is going to do with KZML's HD. Will they add subchannels? Could they bring Urbana to Wenatchee? Urbana would actually be a good format to introduce to Yakima and Tri-Cities considering the high percentage of Hispanics in both markets, and if they did expand it to Tri-Cities, it would give Alcon's La Gran X some competition.

I will be keeping an eye out for changes to KZML's HD info. Thankfully it'll be easy because I can receive it with my HDR-18 next to my bed, but it's not strong enough

I also wonder if the HD will be put on KZML-FM1 in Wenatchee - I'll check to see next time I go that way. I was just there the other day and it was business as usual.

Last edited:
102.1 KPQ's transmitter is near Mission Ridge Ski Area, 2,654 feet HAAT. They have an astonishing signal, can be heard almost anywhere in eastern WA and shows up on a car radio's seek in about 75% of our side of the Cascades. I hear Ellensburg ads often on The Quake, but never Yakima or further south, even though their LOCAL pattern covers Yakima proper.
I used to hear them in parts of Seattle as well, in north Bothell they were quite strong in the right spot (knife-edge), but 3 miles away they were gone. I believe decades ago, they were as high as 100KW and were audible in most parts of the Puget Sound.

K233CJ 94.5 does quite well throughout SE WA, I've heard them all the way to the Silver Dollar Cafe at 24/241 north of Sunnyside.
I have head KPQ in Tenino, Graham, Yelm and that area when I was about 16 or 17.. DECADES ago

I think the farthest I have heard KPQ to the east is around the Ritzville or Tokio WA area. Maybe traces at Sprague. They don't make it to Spokane, maybe during tropo enhancement but not regularly. 102.1 nets KICR HD hash or the KQQQ/1150 translator in Pullman. On the west side I have heard them all the way to Hoodsport, with a weak KSWW fading in too. KWIQ Moses Lake used to make it here and there when they were still on 100.3.

Did the old KMCQ 104.5 The Dalles make it to Thurston County? Best knife-edge spot by far was Downtown Shelton, summer 2013. KEGX-106.5, KUJ-99.1, KEYW-98.3 and 2-3 Yakima FMs solid from downtown, around the Pioneer Way and 3 junction if I recall. I wonder if that's still possible at least on 98.3/99.1 as 106.5 is covered with a translator.

The farthest east I've heard KPQ is at Lookout Pass, ID/MT back in 2019, and the farthest south is at Haystack Reservoir just south of Madras, OR in 2021. Other locations I've heard it: Mt. Spokane, Kamiak Butte & Steptoe Butte (over the KQQQ translator when facing NW), La Grande OR and at Manchester State Park in Kitsap County (the only place I've received it on the west side).

Interesting! 102.1 was blank when I traveled over Lookout last year, and also blank at Stevens Lake above Mullan. Conditions may have not been too great either, and/or blocked by the ridge. Will be back to test with the TEF6686.

KZJJ (Alcon Media) has filed a complicated "downgrade" from Class C3 to Class A, changing the city to West Richland from Mesa. Power will be 920 watts from Badger Mountain.

As part of the arrangement, KPLP White Salmon agrees to be short-spaced with KZJJ although no coverage change results from this modification for KPLP..

Study:

KPLP Agreement: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076fa28ef16a70018f3080180d0e66

Engineering: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f918ef1942e018ef2c6748d017a

Population Trade-off Study:

(Poor Mesa...)

Still amusing whenever 104.5 the Fan does a high school game from Sunnyside or Grandview. K283BX does not make it down there. You hear weak Regional Mexican, or weak CCM. (KZJJ or KPLP)
And the AM has been off for months, perhaps even years. I suspect KBBO will be deleted soon, as will KTCR-980.

Curious, this question is probably for DXsphere. Does 100.9 KARY 'Cherry' make it into Goldendale/Klickitat with a decent signal? I heard some new sweepers the other day that have shoutouts from various towns in the coverage area that listen to Cherry FM regularly. One of them says, and I'm paraphrasing, "We can get you guys way down in Goldendale - we love Cherry FM!" I haven't been down there yet and it would be amusing to hear nothing but hissss.... on that frequency, given that 93.5 KACI is the 'local' classic hits outlet there.

Last edited:
KARY does make into Klickitat County with a decent signal, although the strength of reception varies where you are and how good your receiver is. It definitely can be received in Goldendale, but not so much in the gorge. Reception is very poor/non-existent at Biggs and The Dalles, but I did pick it up somewhat on the Oregon side just east of Hood River. It's also not very good along the river until you get around Arlington/Roosevelt.

I was just out there this last weekend, so I have a complete log of what I received in the area.

Good to know. It's an area I have never romped in. The closest I have been to Goldendale is (literally!) the Toppenish NWR trails off Pumphouse Rd. I've always wanted to hike around Mt. Adams on the Yakama Nation side, but the 2015 fire and the long travel have kept me away.
Goldendale is an interesting area. It's an hour from Yakima yet they all align with Portland for local television, given The Dalles isn't too far. Years ago you could get KOMO and KING on cable as well. But KIMA, KNDO and KAPP have never been carried on cable down there. I also haven't been to Bickleton yet to see the bluebird houses and their little tavern.

Back
Top Bottom