• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Chicago Ratings 2-22-22 Release

WLS did put the talk format on FM in the 90s (when it was a much better talk format), but at that time the FM was struggling in the Format of the Month club (including Hell 94.7). They even spun off the FM for a younger talk format, which was short-lived. Doing it now......no.
That talk format on WLS-FM was terrible. They had Robert Murphy among others, but the whole thing didn't fit at the time.

Actually, by the late 1970s, WLS 890 seemed to be going more in the AOR artist direction, with less and less R&B after the Disco era. Let's see if we can find a Survey to back up that assertion.

Well, not entirely, but they were adding a lot more artists and tracks associated with AOR in higher rotation, and were positioning themselves to compete more with AOR.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about WLS surveys post 1975 is that only songs that made the top 14 or 15 on the survey actually got airplay.

Except during the John Rook era, WLS was always slow on R&B crossovers. Lots of mid 60s soul classics got little if any WLS airplay. I heard Clark Weber say one time he didn’t like or understand rhythm and blues.

Even in the disco era, WLS never played Got To Give It Up by Marvin Gaye, which was number one pop. Also didn’t play such hits as Strawberry Letter 23 or Walking In Rhythm.

One thing to remember about WLS surveys post 1975 is that only songs that made the top 14 or 15 on the survey actually got airplay.

Except during the John Rook era, WLS was always slow on R&B crossovers. Lots of mid 60s soul classics got little if any WLS airplay. I heard Clark Weber say one time he didn’t like or understand rhythm and blues.

Even in the disco era, WLS never played Got To Give It Up by Marvin Gaye, which was number one pop. Also didn’t play such hits as Strawberry Letter 23 or Walking In Rhythm.
Also, "Shame Shame Shame" by Shirley & Co which got to #5 on CFL didn't get played on WLS in 75. As you pointed out WLS stayed away from lots of R&B going back to the 60s.

With so much rock competition in Chicago, it makes sense that a rock leaning Classic Hits station isn't doing as well as other stations in the format. However, since the rock lean they moved towards in 2018 is what made them a big success for a few years, I'm not sure the typical pop/pop rock sound of Classic Hits is the answer. They started off slow in 2021 but saw their numbers grow better later in the year. I think their best option is to just stay the course, and maybe they'll go back up later in the year.
Do you think Audacy will flip WXRT anytime soon? I hope not

WGN's share is way up; I wonder how much of GN's audience also cumes 94.7?

If it is indeed 720 that is swiping share from 94.7, that would mean (most likely) that much of 94.7's erosion is due to changing listening habits among the 55 and older crowd.

WGN's share is way up; I wonder how much of GN's audience also cumes 94.7?

If it is indeed 720 that is swiping share from 94.7, that would mean (most likely) that much of 94.7's erosion is due to changing listening habits among the 55 and older crowd.
Interesting. I never thought about the possibility WGN may be taking some listeners from 94.7.

Interesting. I never thought about the possibility WGN may be taking some listeners from 94.7.
This hadn't occurred to me either. How about WRME? Since WLS-FM is so overly rock leaning, wouldn't you think that some listeners may have migrated down the dial?

Frankly, the overly rock heavy nature of too many "classic hits" stations is why I rarely listen to them despite being in their target demo (albiet at the high end). Oldies stations played artists like Cream and Steppenwolf - but also Motown and R&B hits. WLS-FM (in particular) seems to consist of vastly overplayed rock hits from the late 70's and 80's. The kind that are oh-so-common that you can hear them anywhere. Yes, I know, some people can't get enough of Bon Jovi. Personally, I had enough by around 1986.

Classic rock from the 70s and 80s is still extremely popular amongst all groups, more so than dance pop or R&B (save for certain songs) other than Prince, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Bee Gees (all of which 94.7 play), etc. With a rock lean, it can help classic hits stations like WLS-FM attract better demos and avoid too much of the share being 55+. It comes down to the market. Cumulus took this direction after the demise of WLUP potentially to keep some audience from going to WDRV.

Classic rock from the 70s and 80s is still extremely popular amongst all groups, more so than dance pop or R&B (save for certain songs) other than Prince, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Bee Gees (all of which 94.7 play), etc. With a rock lean, it can help classic hits stations like WLS-FM attract better demos and avoid too much of the share being 55+. It comes down to the market. Cumulus took this direction after the demise of WLUP potentially to keep some audience from going to WDRV.
It all depends on the market, which is why there are some Classic Hits stations that are either Pop leaning or more balanced between Pop/R&B and Rock that do well in other markets, such as WCBS-FM in New York. The reasoning for WLS-FM's Rock lean is spot on, and it brought them huge initial success, so one has to wonder what's going on that's causing the station to be underperforming now.

It all depends on the market, which is why there are some Classic Hits stations that are either Pop leaning or more balanced between Pop/R&B and Rock that do well in other markets, such as WCBS-FM in New York. The reasoning for WLS-FM's Rock lean is spot on, and it brought them huge initial success, so one has to wonder what's going on that's causing the station to be underperforming now.
The Drive added back in a lot of 70s hits that they had pulled lately. Steely Dan, ELO, The Beatles, Elton John, BTO, Dobie Gray, America, etc are on The Drive again. As a result, both stations are playing more of the same music. Might be some of the cause. WLS-FM also had an airstaff shuffle when Greg Brown retired. Not sure how many of their listeners care about airstaff or if it matters or not. It would moreso for stations like The Drive

Cumulus seems to follow the WLS-FM playlist template with a lot of its smaller market classic hits stations these days. In SC, Cumulus's WOMG in Columbia and WIWF in Charleston both follow the rock leaning playlist but will also toss in Madonna, Tina Turner, Prince, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Bee-Gees, The Go-Go's, etc, and some select stuff like "Play That Funky Music", "September" and "Superstition" from the 70s that wasn't rock. In FL, Cumulus's WGLF in Tallahassee and WJTQ in Pensacola are the same.

Cumulus's WJJK in Indy follows the above pattern as well and is one of the most successful classic hits stations ratings-wise in the country.

Conversely, Cumulus's KCMO in Kansas City, WHTT in Buffalo and WGRR in Cincinnati - all heritage, extremely successful classic hits stations - are slightly biased toward rock, but still play a lot of late 70s and 80s pop you aren't going to find on WLS-FM like Paula Abdul, Culture Club, Chicago, Whitney, etc. I believe these stations also use jingles, unlike a lot of Cumulus classic hits stations. WGRR, WHTT and KCMO both have classic rock sister stations, so they are probably trying to stay out of their way as well.

I really think it just comes down to market dynamics. If WLS-FM's in-demo numbers start to fall or continue to fall, I expect they will adjust the playlist back. It's just a bit tougher with Cumulus and a lot of formats in major markets because there aren't other similarly sized markets to compare them to like with Audacy and iHeart. Classic Hits stations in 30-something sized markets and 80 and smaller sized markets are going to be different from WLS-FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom