• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Area Repack Developments

Here in Somerville my set just scanned in the Daystar religious affiliate W26EU on virtual 40.1 for the first time. Consistent signal.

Not a channel I'll be watching, but curious, was this the former W40BO? I remember that as a low power analog station. Did it just go digital, raise its power, or change its transmitter location?

Or, is it a translator for WYDN Lowell (tx-Concord, NH), virtual 48, which I can't get here?
It is W40BO, now moved to RF ch 26 due to the repack, but still transmitting from the FM128 tower. The signal is quite good considering they are using only 12 KW. It is Daystar-owned and carrying Daystar programs, but doesn't appear to be a translator.

I would not be surprised to see them add one of more subchannels to improve cash flow.

Here in Somerville my set just scanned in the Daystar religious affiliate W26EU on virtual 40.1 for the first time. Consistent signal.

Not a channel I'll be watching, but curious, was this the former W40BO? I remember that as a low power analog station. Did it just go digital, raise its power, or change its transmitter location?

Or, is it a translator for WYDN Lowell (tx-Concord, NH), virtual 48, which I can't get here?

Translator for WYDN using the FM-128 stick and it is the former W40BO

08/23/1989 W33AV
09/01/1995 WRAP-LP
11/07/1996 W33AV
W54CN
10/28/1999 W40BO
04/18/2018 W40BO-D
W40BO-D
06/23/2021 W26EU-D

W26EU and W26EUSP, 40.1 and 40.2, appears to have been off the air for a couple of weeks. Did a scan a few days ago and didn't find them anywhere else.

W26EU and W26EUSP, 40.1 and 40.2, appears to have been off the air for a couple of weeks. Did a scan a few days ago and didn't find them anywhere else.
It happened on a night that there were severe thunderstorms, which might have been the cause. I had noticed it when stepping through the channels between 38 and 44. Checking more closely a few days later, both subchannels were there, but with no video or audio, but they could have been completely off the air at least part of the time.

Two more low power stations should be showing up soon. Both are licensed to Westmoreland, NH, but have recent construction permits to move to the Boston area. WWOO-LD: virtual ch 10, RF 28 from 1 Beacon St, and W06DH-D: virtual ch 49, RF 6 from the Needham Cabot St tower. They are listed as having primary station WVMA-CD, Winchendon, MA. WVMA-CD carries AntennaTV and NewsNet. If WVMA looks familiar it shows up in the description on WCRN-LD ch 31.6, which carries AntennaTV, so these new signals may also carry AntennaTV - just a guess.

It happened on a night that there were severe thunderstorms, which might have been the cause. I had noticed it when stepping through the channels between 38 and 44. Checking more closely a few days later, both subchannels were there, but with no video or audio, but they could have been completely off the air at least part of the time.

Two more low power stations should be showing up soon. Both are licensed to Westmoreland, NH, but have recent construction permits to move to the Boston area. WWOO-LD: virtual ch 10, RF 28 from 1 Beacon St, and W06DH-D: virtual ch 49, RF 6 from the Needham Cabot St tower. They are listed as having primary station WVMA-CD, Winchendon, MA. WVMA-CD carries AntennaTV and NewsNet. If WVMA looks familiar it shows up in the description on WCRN-LD ch 31.6, which carries AntennaTV, so these new signals may also carry AntennaTV - just a guess.
I spoke too soon, just scanned and 40.1 and 40.2 are back on today after a couple of weeks off.
I hope WVMA-CD will do a better job of receiving AntennaTV than WCRN-LD, which receives occasionally intermittently broken up (or chopped up) reception of AntennaTV and then rebroadcasts it that way. I know it’s not my reception of WCRN-LD because my reception on all their other channels is OK, and when it happens on 31.6 it’s accompanied by an intermittent buzzing noise that my set wouldn’t make, it’s being broadcast over their signal.
I get Providence channels 10 (WJAR) and 6 (WLNE) fine over my indoor antenna in Somerville. I wonder if those new LD’s will cut them out here? If they have higher RF channels, they might on a scan.

Last edited:
I spoke too soon, just scanned and 40.1 and 40.2 are back on today after a couple of weeks off.
I hope WVMA-CD will do a better job of receiving AntennaTV than WCRN-LD, which receives occasionally intermittently broken up (or chopped up) reception of AntennaTV and then rebroadcasts it that way. I know it’s not my reception of WCRN-LD because my reception on all their other channels is OK, and when it happens on 31.6 it’s accompanied by an intermittent buzzing noise that my set wouldn’t make, it’s being broadcast over their signal.
I get Providence channels 10 (WJAR) and 6 (WLNE) fine over my indoor antenna in Somerville. I wonder if those new LD’s will cut them out here? If they have higher RF channels, they might on a scan.
WJAR is on RF 25 and WLNE is on RF 24, so I don't think these new low power channels would cut into the signal because they are on different RF channels.

WJAR is on RF 25 and WLNE is on RF 24, so I don't think these new low power channels would cut into the signal because they are on different RF channels.
There is one likely overlap issue - use of the same virtual channel number as WJAR ch 10. Right now if they are actually on the air from the pre-move location, they are sending the signal mostly northwest to NH from the Stow, MA area and that should not be a problem. However the signal map shows the new signal will reach into the Providence market, so they will probably have to use another virtual number.

Current:

New:

I still may no longer receive WJAR or WLNE though, because when my set picks up two signals using the same virtual channel in a scan, it assigns the virtual channel to the one on the higher RF channel because it “finds” it later in the scan, superseding the one it “found” earlier.

I still may no longer receive WJAR or WLNE though, because when my set picks up two signals using the same virtual channel in a scan, it assigns the virtual channel to the one on the higher RF channel because it “finds” it later in the scan, superseding the one it “found” earlier.
In my initial comment I forgot about the PSIP channel issue, so thank you to Channel 99 and Eli for pointing that out. It will likely cause issues in the signal coverage areas of WLNE and WJAR if these new stations are allowed to PSIP on channel 6 and 10. And the coverage area maps show that the signal of these new stations could reach into the north and east suburbs of Providence too. I remember that a few years ago when what is now WWJE-TV 50 started sharing spectrum with WUNI-TV 66 and started transmitting from Hudson, MA, some of my TV's and converter boxes could not decode the signal on PSIP ch 50 because WRIW-CD had its PSIP channel also on 50. My TV's could decode WRIW and not WWJE; a few months later WRIW-CD changed its PSIP to ch 51, and since then I can receive both channels.

The predicted coverage area of WWOO-LD after their move definitely extends into the Providence market, so WJAR would have a valid reason to object to the use of 10. However WWOO-LD may recognize the problem themselves and request s free virtual channel number, such as 16.

W06DH-D has changed call letters to WVCC-LD.

My set just scanned in WWOO which still claims to be licensed to Westmoreland, NH, but the signal seems strong here in Somerville, MA, so I’m guessing it must have made its TX move to Boston.

The odd thing is that it appears to be on virtual ch. 10.10 on my set!

I still get WJAR Providence on 10.1 through 10.4, then it skips up to WWOO on 10.10!

Programming right now is some old black and white movie, with no audio! It’s not a silent film, it looks like some budget or foreign movie from the ‘60s, but the station has no audio.

It’s not running Antenna TV which I get on WCRN-LD 31.6 and is now running the old sitcom “Alice”.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom