• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Last day of Dutch Service Broadcasting from Radio Netherlands Worldwide (video)

K

kenglish

Radio Netherlands has always been a "Class Act".
For their final day of broadcasting in Dutch, they did a 24-Hour Radio Marathon, bringing back to life, the full 65 years of their history.

... Then, a final one-hour live broadcast on TV....fully a Class Act, they filled the park around the RNW headquarters with all of their former employees, people held a vigil carrying torches, they had two Jumbotron video screens, they had an orchestra and a soprano....and, a countdown clock.

Here's the last ten minutes of their 65 years of broadcasting:

http://www.rnw.nl/nederlands/video/de-laatste-tien-minuten-vanuit-hilversum

Class Act...to the very end.

RNW as well? I am truly gutted, as Dutch is a second language to me. :(

I have many fond memories of Radio Nederland/Radio Netherlands over the years, especially due to my family's Dutch heritage. Whether it was on the bed with my father, when I was a kid, listening to Dutch programming, or around the camp fire at the cottage...I can still hear the echoes of laughter, from my parents, aunts and uncles, as they listened to the (at times rude) comedy/cabaret segments which RNWO carried.

I don't think I can bear listening to the link...I really don't. Another sad day, as the shutters have fallen on yet another great SW operation. :'(

~BG

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom