• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

La Granja

There is a huge controversy in Mexico over the latest hit from Los Tigres del Norte, "La Granja." The song, with obvious references to the PRI, PAN, and corruption has become a moderate hit in the United States. But it is seldom heard in Mexico. Laurentino Escamilla of Ke Buena is quoted as saying that Tigres are an irrelevant group and that his stay won't play them becasue of that.

Others claim that it is directly tied to the controversy attached to the song. Your thoughts?

http://laradioenmexico.com/opinan-programadores-sobre-la-granja
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2009/10/29/index.php?section=espectaculos&article=a09n1esp

I say, GO TIGRES! You hit it out of the ballpark with this song. Any programmer who says that nobody is interested in "Los Tigres" is either likely lying to avoid censure from the government or has no testicular function as a man.

I love that song, I like how it talks about how THE PIGS eat all the the corn and how the worker doesnt want to work anymore. I think it also talks about the fence how the Coyotes are scared of the DOGS which would be IMIGRATION. Well I think it talks about both MEx and USA.

Hey last week I saw a movie called PASALE PAISANO!
Meaning COME HOMETOWN GUY.

Well it was with Actor Rafael Inclan how his family and hi went to Mexico and all the corruption they suffered. How the Imigration officer wouldnt let him go to Zacatecas with out getting money.

elchupacabras said:
There is a huge controversy in Mexico over the latest hit from Los Tigres del Norte, "La Granja." The song, with obvious references to the PRI, PAN, and corruption has become a moderate hit in the United States.

What the few stations that still do regular research find is that the song is a stiff... the main reason for not playing it is that the audience does not like it at all.

DavidEduardo said:
elchupacabras said:
There is a huge controversy in Mexico over the latest hit from Los Tigres del Norte, "La Granja." The song, with obvious references to the PRI, PAN, and corruption has become a moderate hit in the United States.

What the few stations that still do regular research find is that the song is a stiff... the main reason for not playing it is that the audience does not like it at all.

I might understand it not testing well, but the comments in the aforementioned article by the programmer that the Tigres are not relevant anymore is asinine (or that nobody requests them). I think THAT is an excuse. The Tigres are still relevant after 40 years in the industry and while they may not test as well under 25+, they are on par with The Beatles 30+ in Mexico.

Make it 27+ cause im 27 and I think Tigres are number 1.

elchupacabras said:
I might understand it not testing well, but the comments in the aforementioned article by the programmer that the Tigres are not relevant anymore is asinine (or that nobody requests them). I think THAT is an excuse. The Tigres are still relevant after 40 years in the industry and while they may not test as well under 25+, they are on par with The Beatles 30+ in Mexico.

Their good songs test well with all ages; La Granja is just not a good song.

DavidEduardo said:
elchupacabras said:

Their good songs test well with all ages; La Granja is just not a good song.

It may not test well, but it is a HELL of a song. Have you looked at the symbolism in it? It talks about everything from the border fence to poverty, to corruption, to the downing of the Lear Jet last year of Mouriño, all without overtly mentioning anything. It may not be of utmost relevance to U.S. Hispanics, but the allegorical properties are brilliant. This is one of the most stinging political criticisms in years. It is akin to Orwell's "Animal Farm," done in Mexican style. The effort to stifle airplay in Mexico is of major concern. Perhaps the illegitimate Calderón administration is worried. That's the issue we should be discussing here.

I'm not Mexican and I'm not very familiar with Mexican politics, but I am interested in a line-by-line definiton of this song. Someone told me "La Perra = PRD", "El Zorro= Vicente Fox" and "Los Puerquitos=Police", but that's as far as I got with with.

Has someone bothered to break this song down?

La Granja = La Republica Mexicana

La Perra = El Narcotrafico, La Pobreza, Corrupcion, Inseguridad y todo lo malo que esta acabando con México

El Abuelito = El PRI

El Zorro = Vicente Fox

Los Platos = La Racha De 71 años consecutivos que duro el PRI en el poder

Los Puerquitos = Los Diputados Del PAN

El Maíz = El Dinero De Nuestros Impuestos

El Gavilan = El Avion De Juan Camilo Mouriño †

Los Pollitos = La Prensa

El Conejo = Los Sicarios Del Narcotrafico

La Jaula = La Carcel

Los Huesos Tirados = Los 12,000 Civiles, Soldados y Narcotraficantes Que Han Muerto En Esta Guerra

Sembradios De Alfalfa = Sembradios De Droga

El Gran Cerco = El muro de la Frontera entre USA y México

La Mordida = El Soborno De Los Policias Corruptos Que aunque no estemos de acuerdo siempre estara presente

Los Granjeros = Los Mexicanos

I'm glad you actually understand what the song is about... I did too, but not the listeners.

Yes, I had stations playing it when it got released, and not just on research (call out), but on request, and normal street studies, the song IS A STIFF! No one understood it. Other Tigres corridos do test (La Banda Del Carro Rojo, Los Dos Plebes, and others). The big Tigres songs are the ones the listeners like to hear. In the past three or four records by Los Tigres, there has not been a BIG HIT.

The listeners dont care much for the song. They might have liked it the first few times they heard it, but then they told all my stations they just didn't get it, and in most cases, didn't request it.

Santos said:
I'm glad you actually understand what the song is about... I did too, but not the listeners.

Yes, I had stations playing it when it got released, and not just on research (call out), but on request, and normal street studies, the song IS A STIFF! No one understood it. Other Tigres corridos do test (La Banda Del Carro Rojo, Los Dos Plebes, and others). The big Tigres songs are the ones the listeners like to hear. In the past three or four records by Los Tigres, there has not been a BIG HIT.

The listeners dont care much for the song. They might have liked it the first few times they heard it, but then they told all my stations they just didn't get it, and in most cases, didn't request it.

Hey,
You're not the "Ric Santos" that was on Westwood One's (now Dial Global's) Kool Gold Format?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom