• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KZGL 103.7 Flagstaff

I'm just looking through FCC filings for this station, and have discovered that they are now "licensed and silent," and owner Walker Radio had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. However, checking out their website, their live stream is still up and running. Any reports from those up north that the over-the-air signal is off?

Re: KZGL 103.7 Flagstaff Bankruptcy

very sorry to hear this - Perhaps that's a tough market to operate an AAA station in - it's not really "liberal" or "Bohemian" enough to get enough "upscale" listeners who would listen to AAA music ?

Compare Flag to Berkeley where you have AAA station 1510 KPIG doing very well, simulcasting on other freqs in the Bay Area.

I think Santa Fe, NM has one or maybe two AAA stations, and there's a lot more money, artists, and "Bohemians" over there compared to Flag.

Eric Stein said:
I'm just looking through FCC filings for this station, and have discovered that they are now "licensed and silent," and owner Walker Radio had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. However, checking out their website, their live stream is still up and running. Any reports from those up north that the over-the-air signal is off?

From reviewing the FCC filings over this, there's quite the fight going on. Someone apparently is operating it...and the station appears to be running a healthy spot load listening to the stream. According to the FCC STA application to "go silent":

THE LICENSEE DOES NOT HAVE LEGAL ACCESS TO THE EQUIPMENT USED TO OPERATE THE STATION AS A RESULT OF A SEIZURE OF THE STATION'S ASSETS BY THE KALIL HOLDING GROUP, LLC, TRUSTEE OVER THE PHYSICAL ASSETS OF THE STATION PURSUANT TO A STATE COURT RULING, RESULTING FROM AN ACTION BROUGHT BY TOWER INVESTMENT TRUST, INC., A PREVIOUS LICENSEE OF THE STATION. NEITHER KALIL NOR TOWER INVESTMENT TRUST, INC. HAS AUTHORITY OVER THE STATION'S LICENSE. AN APPLICATION FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE TO KALIL HAS BEEN DISMISSED BY THE COMMISSION (BALH-20091007ABI).

ATTACHED IS A LETTER TO KALIL NOTIFYING THE TRUSTEE THAT IT HAS NO AUTHORITY TO OPERATE THE STATION.

JURISDICTION OVER THIS MATTER HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO THE FEDERAL BANKRUPTCY COURT.

THE LICENSEE IS UNABLE TO OPERATE THE STATION PENDING A RULING FROM THE LOCAL BANKRUPTCY COURT RESTORING ACCESS TO THE STATION'S EQUIPMENT.

KFNNradioFan said:
very sorry to hear this - Perhaps that's a tough market to operate an AAA station in - it's not really "liberal" or "Bohemian" enough to get enough "upscale" listeners who would listen to AAA music ?

Compare Flag to Berkeley where you have AAA station 1510 KPIG doing very well, simulcasting on other freqs in the Bay Area.

I think Santa Fe, NM has one or maybe two AAA stations, and there's a lot more money, artists, and "Bohemians" over there compared to Flag.

There's a way that the AAA format could be profitable in Flagstaff, especially on a station that is one of the smaller signals (lower cost of operation) in a college town. They also market themselves as "hyper-local," which has created an identity for themselves (they've even got the local Ace Hardware buying spots, which is unusual for this format). This sounds like an example of someone buying a signal at the height of inflated station values, and the owners can't pay the bills in a bad economy.

KFNNradioFan said:

KPIG has been a no-show in the PPM, save, if memory serves me, a 0.1 in the February or March book. Otherwise, it does not appear. And that is hardly "doing very well."

KPIG (AM) has no simulcasts in the San Francisco MSA. The original KPIG, an FM, is in the Salinas / Monterrey market; it does not penetrate the SF metro survey area asi it is 5 kw at 100 meters, and can't get over the mountains.

KFNNradioFan said:

Its my gut feel that the bankruptcy isn't really related to format. There was a chunk of change paid to buy that station just as the economy was tanking.

EDwalker said:
KFNNradioFan said:

Its my gut feel that the bankruptcy isn't really related to format. There was a chunk of change paid to buy that station just as the economy was tanking.

Again there are examples all over Radio-Info that radio stations are overvalued. It's not like the good old days decades ago when stations were cheap. I am sorry to hear of The Eagle's problems.

Here is a comment from a friend who lives in No. Az.:

"KZGL is not off the air, its coming in pretty good on 103.7 so maybe somebody has the wrong information, "

pberger said:
Here is a comment from a friend who lives in No. Az.:

"KZGL is not off the air, its coming in pretty good on 103.7 so maybe somebody has the wrong information, "

Could be wrong, but it would appear from the FCC paperwork that the bankruptcy trustee took possession of the station following the bankruptcy filing and may be operating the station.

The licensee filed for an off-air STA with the FCC since they could not operate the station since they no longer had control of the physical assets, however they noted on their STA request that the trustee has "no authority to operate the station." Something for the courts and FCC to sort out, apparently.

I'm visiting in Sedona, and we listened to KZGL this morning. Good signal, and they identified themselves as "KZGL -- The Eagle." They sounded very professional.

For the record, KZGL never went off the air, and is still going strong with it's AAA Format. (First button in my presets at home and in the car).

jeffinaz said:
For the record, KZGL never went off the air, and is still going strong with it's AAA Format. (First button in my presets at home and in the car).

That may change once the new (original) owner of the frequency, Bill Brothers, returns (as is what's happening). He's in the game to build and sell (or, in this case, resell).

News
A straight-up swap in Arizona of Flagstaff's "Eagle" and a future FM in Chino Valley.

No money changes hands in the “asset exchange between Bill Brothers' Towers Investment Trust and Greg Dinetz. Brothers just recently closed on adult alternative "Eagle 103.7”, the station for which he'd been the creditor and which was being held by the Kalil Holding Group as receiver. Brothers didn’t keep it long, trading Class C3 KZGL to Greg Dinetz of Grenax Broadcasting. In return, Brothers gets the construction permit for a C3 licensed to Chino Valley, and since the CP expires July 12, he’s asking the FCC for an additional 18 months to build it. Greg Dinetz owns three other FMs in the area north of Phoenix – hot AC KFLX, Kachina Village (105.1), “Kolt Country” KSED, Sedona (107.5), and classic rock “96.7 the Wolf” KWMX, Williams. The straight-up swap gives Dinetz a fourth one, “Eagle” KZGL. Broker – Kalil & Co.

From www.radio-info.com Main Page.

"Quality Rock for Flagstaff"? Not sure exactly what that means, I've been listening for about and hour and have heard the weirdest mix of songs that I've heard in a long time, and the Web Site is down. Guess we get to wait and see what comes next.

At some point and time Thursday May 27, KZGL went off the air, so it is now silent. I'll keep checking on it and let everyone know what turns up on the frequency. I know that Grenax did a swap with Towers Investment earlier in the month.

Re: KZGL 103.7 Flagstaff (silent)

The 103.7 FM signal has a disturbing hiss since Thursday 5/27/2010 as posted here earlier. Still off the air on Tuesday 6/1.
Is there any rumor as to the "Chino Valley FM" frequency that seems to be part of this deal?
We have our one and only licensed radio station at 94.3 - KDDL - Cattle country oldies. Do we suppose the eclectic mix that was the New Eagle would be continued on the Chino Valley stick?

I doubt it, Frequency for the swap is 92.5. The following is found by doing a search on Radio-Info.com

A straight-up swap in Arizona of Flagstaff's "Eagle" and a future FM in Chino Valley

Published on Thursday, May 20, 2010

No money changes hands in the “asset exchange between Bill Brothers' Towers Investment Trust and Greg Dinetz. Brothers just recently closed on adult alternative "Eagle 103.7”, the station for which he'd been the creditor and which was being held by the Kalil Holding Group as receiver. Brothers didn’t keep it long, trading Class C3 KZGL to Greg Dinetz of Grenax Broadcasting. In return, Brothers gets the construction permit for a C3 licensed to Chino Valley, and since the CP expires July 12, he’s asking the FCC for an additional 18 months to build it. Greg Dinetz owns three other FMs in the area north of Phoenix – hot AC KFLX, Kachina Village (105.1), “Kolt Country” KSED, Sedona (107.5), and classic rock “96.7 the Wolf” KWMX, Williams. The straight-up swap gives Dinetz a fourth one, “Eagle” KZGL. Broker – Kalil & Co.

Flagstaff, Arizona's "Eagle 103.7" is sold

Published on Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The adult alternative “Eagle” KZGL has recently been in the care of the Kalil Holding Group as a receiver for the station owned by Walker Radio. The buyer of the Class C3 facility (560 watts at 1,959 feet) is Tower Investment Trust, whose principal is Bill Brothers. Broker: Kalil & Co of Tucson.

I can't remember exactly when it happened but back when Grenax Broadcasting bought the original Eagle 105.1 and changed it's Format from Cool Rock to what it has become now, I stopped listening. Then came the changes at KWMX (96.7 The Wolf) to Classic Hits to Classic Rock, also owned by Grenax. Only constant here is KSED (KOLT Country) 107.5.

For me, none of the stations owned by Grenax have anything to offer me but a rehash of what is/was already in place on KAFF-FM and KMGN-FM. I never quit understood why Flagstaff/Prescott needed a second Classic Rock station when there are still other formats that remain off the air and available. (Just my opinion). KZGL was different and refreshing, it offered a little bit of everything without getting boring.

Jeff,

The Wolf became Classic Rock, because KMGN was running away with the most listeners in the market, so it makes perfect sense from a business stand point to give them a little competition.

David Owens said:
Jeff,

The Wolf became Classic Rock, because KMGN was running away with the most listeners in the market, so it makes perfect sense from a business stand point to give them a little competition.

Unless you go back something like 5 years, KAHM, KGCB, KQST and KNAU average higher numbers than what KMGN has had.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom