• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVIT (90.9 The Goldmine) Featured in Sean Ross Column

DJ_Perry said:
Exactly....Steve registered "Goldmine" with the FCC back in 1999.

hmmmm....didn't know the FCC handles trademark and copyright registrations.

1440 was still KOPA back then.

But it's always been Lumberyard 14~Forty since signing on the air in 1956!

DJ_Perry said:
Dr. Akbar said:
hmmmm....didn't know the FCC handles trademark and copyright registrations.

They don't, but the idea was to point out that KVIT didn't choose a name that was already taken. But KAZG coincidently did, perhaps without realizing one was in place. Even if the transmitter was still pending, there was record of it with FCC. That is all.

All right, it's time to put this whole Goldmine trademark boondoggle to bed. While KVIT can claim that the "Goldmine" name has been trademarked in the great state of Arizona via the FCC since 1999, the fact of the matter is the name has only been copyrighted since May of last year. If you want to trademark a name in Arizona, you got to go through the Arizona Secretary of State's office, not the FCC. The FCC has nothing to do with trademarks. If you want to register a patent or trademark with the feds, you go through the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

According to Arizona Secretary of State records (found here: http://www.azsos.gov/scripts/TnT_Search_Engine.dll/ZoomTNT?NME_ID=520347&NME_CODE=NME), the name has only been trademarked since May 16th, 2011, not too long after the station came on the air. Up until that point, KAZG had been legally using the Goldmine moniker for 10 whole years in the state of Arizona. What's interesting is that I think Mr. Grosz had the intention of registering this name way back in 1998 (see the domestic begin date), but the tradename itself was not registered until May of 2011.

Also, it's important to note that the official trademark Mr. Grosz has is "Goldmine Radio." KAZG pens itself as "Arizona Gold" and takes those golden nugget oldies from the "Goldmine." Even if KAZG continued to use those bumpers by saying, "from the Goldmine, Arizona Gold!", I would argue that it does not infringe on KVIT's trademark. If KAZG was saying "You're listening to Goldmine Radio", then yes, I woud agree.

Frankly, I don't know why this issue keeps coming up where KVIT claims that KAZG took their name. Since it wasn't registered with the proper authorities, KAZG was 100% legal in using the "Goldmine" moniker for 1440 AM back in early 2001. Even without that, I think we can all agree that KAZG was first on the air with the "Goldmine" moniker ten years before KVIT started using it themselves on 90.7 FM.

I don't think KAZG really cares about all this since they've already changed their logo to say "Arizona's Golden Oldies" to avoid any potential conflict. KAZG promotes peace, not hate! :-*

I never claimed the name was taken intentionally, nor would it become a trademark conflict. I simply pointed out that it most likely was coincidence, since KVIT had selected a name but was unable to transmit at the time. I think the only reason this keeps popping up, is because certain posters keep knocking KVIT by calling KAZG "The real Goldmine," as if Steve copied them. All I'm trying to illustrate is that this is not the case, since KAZG came about after the fact. No, I'm not implying they are doing anything wrong either, so let's not get so sensitive over an automated playlist on AM. When I mentioned 1440's name to Steve a year ago, he shrugged his shoulders and said "If I barely know them, who else does? I had the name 12 years ago." So I don't think its a concern of either station, I'm just pointing out that there is more to the story.

KOOL Listener Lauren said:
That does it. This Goldmine vs. Goldmine tension must be settled over a competitive game of basketball!

But only during the day as the 14~Forty Goldminers have evenings off!

DJ_Perry said:
They don't, but the idea was to point out that KVIT didn't choose a name that was already taken. But KAZG coincidently did, perhaps without realizing one was in place. Even if the transmitter was still pending, there was record of it with FCC. That is all.

Except "Goldmine" was never registered with the FCC. KVIT, yes.

KOOL Listener Lauren said:
That does it. This Goldmine vs. Goldmine tension must be settled over a competitive game of basketball!

Maybe we could get the Prattster to host a BBQ to settle things.

Oy maybe not. :D

Okay, okay - game on! The 14~Forty Goldminers are willing to play hoops with the crew at the Goldmine and have a Pratt-hosted BBQ. Just one condition, after they're fed they'll need someplace to nap before heading back to the Lumberyard. How 'bout a few comped rooms here?: http://www.goldfieldghosttown.com/attractions/bordello.html

;) ;D :eek: :) ;) :D ;D :eek: 8)

This is a moot conversation. The Goldmine Oldies station, which I've never heard has never expressed concern over our name. In Summer of 1999 I reached an agreement with Goldfield Ghost Town for partial leasing of the tower we are on in exchange for using the name "The Goldmine" and including Goldfield Ghost Town Arizona, as the second placement after Apache Junction in our hourly ID. I have seen this conversation many times. In truth this AM oldies station and KVIT apparently care less about the conversation than some people on here. In all truth The state Registration last year by myself was to protect us. However if any entity can prove prior use to the registration date, They can use it. I can prove use as of Summer of 1999. In all honesty I don't care if every station uses the Goldmine Name, PPM doesn't rely on people knowing your name or frequency, just picks up your encoded signal. So again...this is not an issue..end of old and tired conversation.

Thanks

Steve

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom