• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUHA off the air

After having been off the air most of the day Thursday 8/27, KUHA is back on late Thursday evening and seems to be at full power. So the new antenna is apparently in place and in service.

Now back to your regularly scheduled "new owner" speculation.

now back to your regularly scheduled "new owner" speculation.

lol :)

Good one, Frog. I needed a laugh!

gossip-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:
I didn't think of Lakewood Church as a possibility, but they might be interested. I wonder if Radio Aleluya could pull it off. They have spent a bunch of cash on signals and there has to be a cap on potential income. Then again, the have some assets they could put on the market if they bought 91.7. What might happen to that translator is another question entirely.

If they wanted to, they could do it. The Villareals have the ability to do deals if they meet the goals of the organization. However, IMHO, the 91.7 signal doesn't cover enough of their target population to justify whatever price they would have to pay for it. I see someone else (probably another religious outfit) picking it up. EMF has the $$$, but as another poster has pointed out, they can't run the "K-LOVE" format so it would have to be Air-1. Now, someone who would be very new to the market is "WAY-FM" out of Colorado. I'm not sure if they could raise the money, but one never knows.

I thought WAY FM was out of Florida, but I could be quite wrong about that. WAY FM entered the crowded Dallas/Fort Worth market if I recall correctly, so that might be a good candidate. I think we will likely see a religious outfit buying the frequency. I doubt some of the big boys like Moody and such would look at the market since most of the bases are already covered and there might not be enough for both of them. I even thought perhaps a non-profit in the 'arts' category might consider it to but that's a huge investment to make.

20 years ago, I would have loved to see WAY-FM coming into the area. They were a constant tantalizing DX target when I lived in Florida, playing much better CCM than the usual bland stuff. But - they have wimped out so much they would be indistinguishable from KSBJ. Even Air-1 nows plays an edgier playlist. I felt very bad for Dallas Christian rock fans when I heard KVRK was selling out to WAY-FM.

The original station was in Florida, they expanded there, then to Nashville, Colorado, etc. The local stations have more control over their playlists than a satellite outfit does. The Colorado outlet has (or used to have) edgier music than the standard milktoast WAY-FM somewhere else. WAY-FM, done right, could position itself between Air-1 and NGEN, but it would be a steep purchase price.

Moody is stuck in the 1950's, I don't see it garnering any audience at all against KHCB, which does virtually the same thing as Moody.

I still think - if they have the money - the frequency would be attractive to KSBJ for NGEN.

Radio One may buy it to raise the power of 92.1 and maybe be able to move it to Missouri City. Prairie View may want to move KPVU on to the frequency after moving the transmitter site closer to campus.

Radio One may buy it to raise the power of 92.1 and maybe be able to move it to Missouri City. Prairie View may want to move KPVU on to the frequency after moving the transmitter site closer to campus.

Sure glad to see you around the ol' water cooler again, KTN. It's been awhile. As for what you've posted, I'd have a very hard time believing RO would buy 91-7 just to shut it off and move 92-1 closer to Houston. First problem is KUHA is not the only facility in the way of a KROI move. KETX in Livingston and KCOL-FM in Groves also must be afforded protection. Second, and someone help me out here, can that actually be done? Killing a non-comm facility altogether, for the betterment of a 2nd adjacent commercial one? I've never heard of that being done before. Would the Commission even allow that?

I doubt the FCC would let that fly.

Some strange stuff gets tossed out there. I saw an application where an FM proposed moving from a county seat in a county of about 2,500 people (the only radio station on the dial) to move to a town of 200 people about 90 miles away. The problem is that town of 200 has maybe 2 businesses while their former location has nearly 100 retail businesses. They tout the school is an award winner (I knew the guy that graduated 7th in his class...of 7). Looking closer, the move would allow the station's signal to reach a town of 45,000 with its 50 dbu signal. If the FCC looks, they will see the population is really 3.5 times less than they say it is and the 'vibrant business community' is a convenience store and a water well drilling company...$24 million in the county they want to leave and barely 1/3 million in the proposed new city of license. I wonder if this will fly?

WAY FM entered the crowded Dallas/Fort Worth market if I recall correctly, so that might be a good candidate.

I have been wondering if WAY-FM might be a top candidate for KUHA. They had no qualms about entering the DFW market which already has KLTY, KCBI, and Air1. Now would be the time to make their move here, unless they are willing to circle like vultures waiting for the possible demise of KPFT.

I think the KVRX purchase is expected to close in October, with the format flip happening at the same time.

I notice that Classical 24 (the satellite service that KUHA runs most of the day) is now promoting American Public Media's www.yourclassical.org website, which streams a number of curated Classical subgenres. Guess they are embracing the online/digital future as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom