• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTXR 101.3 FM Springfield, MO

Listening to KTXR 101.3 FM in Springfield, MO in the office. I swear I have never heard more modern cover versions of pop standards on one station ever. I've counted at least one Rod Stewart "songbook" tune per hour on this station. I don't know what to label this station's format, but it falls somewhere between Soft AC, Smooth Jazz and Nostalgia....

http://radiospringfield.com/stream/ktxrfm/

WEZV Myrtle Beach, SC also seems obsessed with Rod Stewart. They seem to play more new versions of standards than the originals.

The reason many adult standards stations are adding more newer cover versions of older songs is an attempt to introduce older music via cover to a younger listening demo while remaining true to its roots with the original standards in the overall mix each hour.

By way of example, Rod Stewart is a 70s and 80s rock artist who, at least ostensibly, brings "coolness" to the adult standards format creating the image that older music is still "hip" or hepicat. Kenny Rogers is another example of a former 60s rock and 70s, 80s and 90s country artist who has done an outstanding job contributing to the adult standards format singing older and even newer standards and ballads.

Without regularly updating the music to attract a younger demo, the format will eventually disappear as the current demo ages and dies off. This is one reason you no longer hear the Big Bands as a mainstream, or even niche, format on radio today.

Someone who is now 70 years old was born in 1941, and probably graduated from high school about 1958 or 1959. A 60 year old was born in 1951 and graduated from high school in 1968-9. As much as I like Big Band music, it was not really the music of that generation. You'd have to be in your 80's to call it "your music."

If you want a decent enough audience to attract some advertisers, you really need to include the "50 and 60-something" group. Hopefully you can appeal to a few younger listeners as well. The trick is to do that without alienating the older folks. It isn't as easy as it sounds. If you figure it out, let me know.

I have no problem with Rod Stewart's modern covers (although I think Michael Buble just sings them better than Rod.)

KTXR is pretty unique for what it is. Full service on FM in a medium market. All vocals. Some standards, some AC, a pinch of smooth jazz (that's another thought. Has any standards stations/network you know added more smooth jazz into their formats?) I seem to hear more smooth jazz vocal tracks popping up lately on standards stations in general whilst scanning the dial. Is it just my observation or imagination?

By all means....listen to Wayne Glenn's weekend shows on KTXR. *That's* the crown jewel in KTXR's weekly programming.

IIRC, his shows run 6am-1pm EST Saturdays (yes, 7 hours) & 7:30pm-10pm Sundays.

He is a record collector, and plays stuff that he finds (in addition to requests and regular hit oldies). He won't play hard rock though. I love to listen, but I keep forgetting to tune in!!

(Prior to their current everyday format, they were a run-of-the-mill AC. Nothing to start a thread about.... :) However, WG's show has been around for over 30 years.)

cd

KTXR is a unique station for sure... Independently owned by Ken Meyer, a gentleman well in his 80s who still runs the place as well as other stations in the group - a real throwback for sure. They are being consulted by Ron Erak out of Seattle... Also, one of the biggest sticks in MO - not at all unusual to hear 150+ miles away on a regular basis. "The Gentle Giant" evolved to its current format a few years ago after being one of the last Beautiful Music stations around. They do stream online at ktxrfm.com.

mbatchelor said:
KTXR is a unique station for sure... Independently owned by Ken Meyer, a gentleman well in his 80s who still runs the place as well as other stations in the group - a real throwback for sure. They are being consulted by Ron Erak out of Seattle... Also, one of the biggest sticks in MO - not at all unusual to hear 150+ miles away on a regular basis. "The Gentle Giant" evolved to its current format a few years ago after being one of the last Beautiful Music stations around. They do stream online at ktxrfm.com.

I'm listening to it now. But I HATE that Any Lab Test online ad KXTR has on their streaming page (that place must have the most AWKWARD waiting room on the PLANET.)

I appreciate Mr. Tillery's comments regarding the big bands. Years ago, I was present when someone asked Steve Allen what he thought of the big bands. Steve replied: "Big bands are coming back. . . and small audiences are coming with them." The audience roared.

Regards, Craig Baker, WKVQ / WYTH

Smooth Jazzy Easy Listening

Bongwater said:
(that's another thought. Has any standards stations/network you know added more smooth jazz into their formats?) I seem to hear more smooth jazz vocal tracks popping up lately on standards stations in general whilst scanning the dial. Is it just my observation or imagination?

WHLC in Highlands NC (it's discussed in the Some Other Streamers thread): http://www.whlc.com/

I would say it's half vocal and half instrumental. It wouldn't be at all unusual to hear Como or Sinatra followed by Sade or George Benson. Even the instrumentals tend to be of the more upbeat variety [I'm listening right now and they're playing "Green Onions" by Booker T & the MGs]. I wouldn't call it a standards station; it's one of those "Soft & Easy Favorites" stations which the format seems to have evolved into. But that's certainly OK with me... I like any station which hasn't totally abandoned its instrumental heritage.

WHLC, to me, would be a perfect example of easy listening with a smooth jazz infusion; at least, what I believe smooth jazz was originally intended to be. (I believe smooth jazz was hurt by its foray into the R&B/urban AC realm, but that's another topic for another day). "A Song For You" by the Carpenters was just on... with its saxophone interlude toward the end, that's the epitome of the classic smooth jazzy type of easy listening I'm talking about. And that was followed by Ella Fitzgerald, the definitive smooth jazz artist (whom, by the way, was inexplicably absent from the so-called smooth jazz stations I used to hear in the '90s and early 2000's).

I do have to comment, however, on the question posed by Bongwater here. If he's hearing smooth jazz vocal tracks on standards stations whilst scanning the dial, he's pretty lucky... on both counts. ;)

Bongwater said:
I have no problem with Rod Stewart's modern covers (although I think Michael Buble just sings them better than Rod.)
I have no problem with either one of them. Just don't play Rod or Michael more than you play Frank or Tony. If you play Rod 3 times in 24 hours, and Michael 3 times, you have to play Frank 4 times and Tony 4 times. Of course, any good standards station will play each one of them more than that.
KTXR is pretty unique for what it is. Full service on FM in a medium market. All vocals. Some standards, some AC, a pinch of smooth jazz (that's another thought. Has any standards stations/network you know added more smooth jazz into their formats?) I seem to hear more smooth jazz vocal tracks popping up lately on standards stations in general whilst scanning the dial. Is it just my observation or imagination?

[/quote]Don't open that can of worms. George Benson's "Breezin'" has finally shown up on Dial Global and I like it, but I've read on here what songs end up getting added. And the smooth jazz station I get to listen to plays some real junk. Don't touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole.

I'd avoid the saxophone soloists or the excessively funky stuff. But a few instrumentals (Larry Carlton, Keiko Matsui, Ottmar Leibert) blend in nicely. And safely.

NOW I remember Ron Erak. He was a Seattle top 40 jock back in the '80s.......

Bongwater said:
I'd avoid the saxophone soloists or the excessively funky stuff. But a few instrumentals (Larry Carlton, Keiko Matsui, Ottmar Leibert) blend in nicely. And safely.

NOW I remember Ron Erak. He was a Seattle top 40 jock back in the '80s.......
Read my lips. No new age.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom