• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTVT WEATHER

E

edwardrmurrow

Khristine gets way too carried away with her weather warning alert toys.
At 5:30p she interupted the sound of the CBS evening news every 5 minutes. I understand the need to get the info. out but she/they have replaced the sounder with something very loud that blanks out the network audio. The crawler alone is fine IF the information is 5 minutes old.There is no need to interupt informing a viewer the warning has expired every 5 minutes.The warnings themselves are embellished making them larger than what they are. Interesting note, NOT one spot break, national or local was interupted. The other main network affiliates do not interupt as much as CH.11. Mike Burger himself(when on Duty) doesn't employ the same tactics as Khristine.

> Interesting note, NOT one spot
> break, national or local was interupted.

"Make-goods." No station wants to give an advertiser a free spot. When I was in TV, we were informed in no uncertain terms that, if we were to break in to programming with either a crawl or a live break-in, under no circumstances were we to do it during a local break. National make-goods are a little easier to handle, because our national rep (in our case, Bechtel) arranged the rebate. But for local spots, it was hands off!<P ID="signature">______________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert Heinlein

dan</P>

> Khristine gets way too carried away with her weather warning
> alert toys.
> At 5:30p she interupted the sound of the CBS evening news
> every 5 minutes. I understand the need to get the info. out
> but she/they have replaced the sounder with something very
> loud that blanks out the network audio. The crawler alone is
> fine IF the information is 5 minutes old.There is no need to
> interupt informing a viewer the warning has expired every 5
> minutes.The warnings themselves are embellished making them
> larger than what they are. Interesting note, NOT one spot
> break, national or local was interupted. The other main
> network affiliates do not interupt as much as CH.11. Mike
> Burger himself(when on Duty) doesn't employ the same tactics
> as Khristine.
>
Khristine has no control over the size of the crawl or the sound it makes. I've worked in many TV stations, the met. doesn't control this stuff. He/she might ask for the crawl to be run, but these decisions on size, sound, etc. are made by the production department/news director/management. I promise you, the meteorologist just types in the crawl or fills out a form and hands it in or in many cases the crawl system is totally automated directly from the National Weather Service feed. She is not a hands-on technical type and I'm sure she has nothing to do with the crawl you speak of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom