• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRTH mostly 80's now.

I've noticed over the past couple months KRTH has mostly gone 80's. Just this morning they have played mainly early 80's hits, i imagine late 70's/ early 80's is their core demo. As that makes up their bulk of the playlist, and now they are slowly adding late 80's . The group Erasure is the 1 example this morning.
Just wondering when the few 60's they have left on the playlist will drop? Ill give it till the end of the year.

I just scanned their playlist for the last 24 hours. There's some Eagles and Fleetwood Mac from the 70s, even Satisfaction from the Stones from the 60s. There's also Mambo #5 and some 90's.

I'm 57 and applaud the transition towards the 90's and 2000's. I'm out of the demo on Classic Hits, but know time marches on. There's certainly enough HD2 stations and LPFM's out there to satisfy those who still yearn for 50's, 60's and 70's music.

I just scanned their playlist for the last 24 hours. There's some Eagles and Fleetwood Mac from the 70s, even Satisfaction from the Stones from the 60s. There's also Mambo #5 and some 90's.

I'm 57 and applaud the transition towards the 90's and 2000's. I'm out of the demo on Classic Hits, but know time marches on. There's certainly enough HD2 stations and LPFM's out there to satisfy those who still yearn for 50's, 60's and 70's music.

That was expected KRTH has to air 80's and 1990's music like other classic hits/oldies stations or app only around the country to lure in the later half of Gen X and Gen Y aka millennials to capture the demos.

Very few 60's left. Maybe a Beatles tune, once or twice a day now. Maybe "My Girl" and certainly "Brown Eyed Girl" at least once a day. Not a true representation of the sixties by any stretch of the imagination. Even the early to mid 70's are disappearing fast. All you really have left today is selected and often repeated (tested) late 70's, 80's, with the majority in their Friday Night 80's and some new 90's at 9pm for the most part.

Yes the demos have shifted greatly since KRTH was on top of the world 2-3 decades ago. Now, perhaps, they are on top of the world again with their new presentations, for their new listeners.

Very few 60's left. Maybe a Beatles tune, once or twice a day now. Maybe "My Girl" and certainly "Brown Eyed Girl" at least once a day. Not a true representation of the sixties by any stretch of the imagination. Even the early to mid 70's are disappearing fast. All you really have left today is selected and often repeated (tested) late 70's, 80's, with the majority in their Friday Night 80's and some new 90's at 9pm for the most part.

Yes the demos have shifted greatly since KRTH was on top of the world 2-3 decades ago. Now, perhaps, they are on top of the world again with their new presentations, for their new listeners.

Since midnight PDT, looks like they've played only "Brown Eyed Girl" from the '60s. The song with the shortest time between spins was Men At Work's "Down Under," played at 12:40 and 3:11. Does a 2 1/2-hour rotation work when actual people are listening? I know it did -- and still does -- for CHR, but is there no turn-off factor when classic hits does it, or are at-work listeners fine with hearing the same song three times during their shift?

Since midnight PDT, looks like they've played only "Brown Eyed Girl" from the '60s. The song with the shortest time between spins was Men At Work's "Down Under," played at 12:40 and 3:11. Does a 2 1/2-hour rotation work when actual people are listening? I know it did -- and still does -- for CHR, but is there no turn-off factor when classic hits does it, or are at-work listeners fine with hearing the same song three times during their shift?

Personally, I'd prefer to hear a selection of Men At Work during a work shift. Just put on "Be Good Johnny", "It's a Mistake", "Overkill" and "Who Can It Be Now", in addition to "Down Under" spread out over eight hours and that will make the day go fast!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom