• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRLD meteorologist resigns over Facebook post

well, my thoughts on this are, Bob is an idiot to use his Facebook to express his anger and displeasure with the DNC and the Black Community. because he used the word "Thug" in a manner that can be implied as racist, he got on the wrong side of the easily offended, the black community and the "Social Justice Warriors.

and to add insult to injury, his employer, KRLD's parent company CBS Radio has had to fire people in the past for racist comments, as in 2007, Don Imus made his infamous "Nappy Headed Hos" comment about the Rutgers women's basketball team which caused a huge controversy and cost Imus his job at both CBS Radio and MSNBC.

difference was, Imus did it on the air while Bob Goosmann did it on Social Media, which feels like your in public, even if you are at home alone.

moral of the story is, if you are in the public eye in some way and famous, don't use Social Media to to express your racial and political views, cause sometimes they will bite you in the A** and cost you your job and money.

A radio station actually employed a full-time meteorologist (as opposed to contracting with a TV station or service like Accu-weather)?

Do you ever wonder if management says to have a job here you must utilize social media to connect with the audience, giving you some minimal threshold of activity to stay in their good graces? My point, was he just doing his job and it came back to bite him? The issue I have had with the written word is you never know how the reader will interpret those words but are held accountable for what others think instead of your intent. Seems like walking in a mine field to me.

For those of us who have worked media, so many times there is little direction and a bunch of 'just do it'. That leaves us trying to stay afloat in the deep end as we navigate the ropes to learn what we need to know. In my mind it might be wiser to have a person that functions as an editor for a company that makes sure the image of the company is not tarnished or taken in a direction not of the company's choosing. Might such a plan have eliminated a job loss and a perceived blemish in the station's 'social online standing'?

If Bob was 'expected' to post, how much responsibility might be laid at the feet of his employer, if any? I am speculating a closed door conversation with management happened before the resignation (ie: we want you to resign and we agree to never mention the incident). Is it reasonable to expect some support from your employer if it was a part of your job description?

How can you explain that Bobby Hughes formerly of KTVI Fox 2 News St. Louis got removed on similar grounds.

It doesn't matter who you are. When you post on social media, you're representing your employer. If you can't accept that, then don't take the job. It doesn't matter what the job is. I've seen teachers and policemen fired for inappropriate posts. Most people don't need to be told what is acceptable and what is not. If you need that kind of direction from management, then you're not the right person for the job.

I agree mostly. I have been in many situations in radio where if 'expected' was given some better clarity, things would have gone better. I'm not implying a person is unworthy of being in a job because they go beyond the expected or below the expected, simply that what is expected might be better achieved by leaving less to question. I would have told him he is just to comment on weather related subjects since that's what listeners come to expect from a guy in his position. That might be implied but is always better when spoken.

That might be implied but is always better when spoken.

I'm not familiar with this particular situation, but employment contracts are being written in such a way to absolve the company of any responsibility. If you don't have a contract, employee manuals cover proper workplace behavior. All employees are usually expected to read and sign before starting work. This is not just broadcasting. Too many lawsuits. It's why there's a warning label on McDonald's coffee. Bottom line: If you're a weatherman, stick to the weather. No one asked you to opine about politics. We all see the advertisers who don't want their products associated with controversial opinions. That's all anyone needs to know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom