• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kool Radio's New Imaging

I'll miss the big voice guy.

They're programming a variety of voices.

AM Driver Rich Conway (Production Dir. @WRKI & WCCC - he was "Studio Guy" when I worked with him there) is a production wiz!

Last edited:
The average listener doesn't care about imaging. All they care about is whether or not a station plays the music the like to listen to or not.

Other notes about Kool Radio is 96.1/990 is a glitch on Saturday July 11th led to them being a simulcast of 100.1/1270 out of Springfield. I heard them mention on-air Kool 1270-AM and 100.1 FM. Plus the Legal ID was WACM and W261DD Springfield. Kool 1270 AM and 100.1 FM.

Marc, I caught that glitch, also.

Why wouldn't the average listener care about imaging?

Some people like jingles.

Have you ever read the book "The Medium Is The Message" by Marshall McLuhan?

It's about subliminal seduction.

It makes a station sound different.

It shows that the station cares about the communities it serves, such as spotlighting different towns.

Some station owners think the cost of new imaging is well worth the marketing opportunity.

The average listener doesn't care about imaging. All they care about is whether or not a station plays the music the like to listen to or not.

But the imaging, flow and production contribute to the listener experience.

If you blind test the same music played in the same order but with and without station elements, the sample with station elements wins overwhelmingly. This has been done to find out the proper amount of personality and production in non-personality shows in a variety of formats. It's more complicated, as the tests I did were based on degrees, not absolutes, to determine how much DJ presence was liked and where the line was crossed. These were tests of pretty much "more music" formats but the findings showed that personality / human presence was vital in a properly measured amount.

Since I had today off from work I listened to Kool Radio most of the day. The new VO guy miss identifies the translator and pronounces Southington wrong.

The VO Guy has been IDing the translator as W241CC instead of W241CG.

Also I sometimes listen to their sister station Bomba Radio. (Mainly the Sunday Night Bilingual Dance show hosted by DJ Alex Sensation from Mega 97.9 our of NYC) After a couple of years of doing the Legal ID in Spanish, they switched back to an English Language Legal ID. They also don't properly do the Legal. They mention "WSPR 1490 AM" with no COL. And the ID for the 104.5 translator for WSPR 1490 they give the COL as Springfield instead of West Springfield.

Boy whomever approved these new Voice-overs on 96.1/990 should be fired. Listening to Rich Conway in the morning several days in a row I head this genius voice-over.

"Punch up 104.3 on the dial to hear the greatest hits of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Kool Radio 96.1 FM and 990 AM." - That makes no sense. 104.3 is their Westerly market station.

Also they've been running a liner "Kool Radio Time Saver Traffic" with no traffic report. I know 104.3 in Westerly airs (aired?) traffic reports in the morning.

:confused: Not sure what you're talking about MarcB, W241CG and a properly pronounced Southington were in the Legal ID last time I checked ;)

.Other notes about Kool Radio is 96.1/990 is a glitch on Saturday July 11th led to them being a simulcast of 100.1/1270 out of Springfield. I heard them mention on-air Kool 1270-AM and 100.1 FM. Plus the Legal ID was WACM and W261DD Springfield. Kool 1270 AM and 100.1 FM.

I listened to the Springfield Kool Radio 100.1 while driving through western MA yesterday. There were no news or weather reports like usual at the top of every hour on the Springfield station, so if the CT station accidentally simulcasted the Springfield one on July 11 I'm guessing the top of the hour reports wouldn't have been heard on 96.1 that day either.

There was still a top of the hour station ID though on the Springfield station and their new line was "Broadcasting from the home of the Basketball Hall of Fame." WMAS mentions that sometimes as well.

I listened to the Springfield Kool Radio 100.1 while driving through western MA yesterday. There were no news or weather reports like usual at the top of every hour on the Springfield station, so if the CT station accidentally simulcasted the Springfield one on July 11 I'm guessing the top of the hour reports wouldn't have been heard on 96.1 that day either.

There was still a top of the hour station ID though on the Springfield station and their new line was "Broadcasting from the home of the Basketball Hall of Fame." WMAS mentions that sometimes as well.

I wonder if Full Power is getting paid for mentioning the Hall every hour. Has it even been allowed to reopen?

It's Entercom's WMAS that broadcasts in the Basketball Hall of Fame, not Full Power Radio.

That is correct. Full Power's mention of it was much more general if I remember correctly, just saying they were broadcasting from the city that is home to the BBHOF. Didn't say they were broadcasting from the actual building. Should have clarified that in the post.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom