• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kndd (107.7 the end) ratings freefall?

The past 2 months following the cuts, the station trended downward in the 6+ numbers from 3.9- 3.2- 2.3. Yikes! I'm sure management is not happy there. Have any thoughts?

The past 2 months following the cuts, the station trended downward in the 6+ numbers from 3.9- 3.2- 2.3. Yikes! I'm sure management is not happy there. Have any thoughts?

Two things: 6+ numbers aren't a reason to panic. Their money demo is Males 18-34.

Two things: 6+ numbers aren't a reason to panic. Their money demo is Males 18-34.

But same thing happened at KROQ and other Entercom alternative stations after their cuts.

Alternative is a bad format to lay any cuts on because their listeners actually notice it over the air.

But same thing happened at KROQ and other Entercom alternative stations after their cuts.

Alternative is a bad format to lay any cuts on because their listeners actually notice it over the air.

The interesting thing is that ratings also went down at Entercom's New York alternative station, and there were no staff cuts there.

Meanwhile iHeart Alt stations have seen ratings increases in LA, Philly, and Houston. In fact in Houston KTBZ is #1 18-34.

Alternative music is really no worse or better this year. What may be different is listeners are looking for more comfort radio what with covid, etc. just a hunch, could be wrong but don’t underestimate musical tastes changing during a crisis.

Alternative is a tricky format, and I would say that taking away most of the live hosts doesn't bode well for a station like The End. Do they even have their local Seattle music show (Locals Only) anymore? Obviously, programs like these do nothing to move the rating needle, but they promote the idea that real people are sitting in the studio focusing on Seattle. To me, it seems like the alternative format would be a particularly tough one to homogenize. Younger people have traditionally considered 107.7 the more trendy radio station in Seattle. It might not be wise to take too much of that vibe away with budget cuts.

Surprisingly, krbz in kansas city (entercom alternative there) actually benefitted from the cuts there. The ratings rose 2.1- 2.7- 3.1. Lazlo and Jerriney stayed which might have kept some people around but go figure!

Surprisingly, krbz in kansas city (entercom alternative there) actually benefitted from the cuts there. The ratings rose 2.1- 2.7- 3.1. Lazlo and Jerriney stayed which might have kept some people around but go figure!

It could be similar to KROQ, where the station had heritage audience for Kevin & Bean. That started to disappear when Bean retired, and left completely when Kevin was fired. They need to build a new audience for the talent they have, and they will take time. KNDD knew they'd lose some heritage audience, but they were also saving money, so it's mostly a wash.

It could be similar to KROQ, where the station had heritage audience for Kevin & Bean. That started to disappear when Bean retired, and left completely when Kevin was fired. They need to build a new audience for the talent they have, and they will take time.
I'm surprised megan holiday doesn't bring people in to the station. She's an interesting personality who's been with the station for a while.

I'm surprised megan holiday doesn't bring people in to the station. She's an interesting personality who's been with the station for a while.

Unless it's a full morning show with very little music, a traditional disk jockey isn't going to add listeners. It's the combination of personality and music that makes the difference.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom