• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKTO FM Tribute Web Site Is Up And Running

XRQKFM

Inactive
Inactive User
KKTO FM, Thousand Oaks, California was an underground low power radio station that operated during the mid 80's. KKTO FM pioneered low power broadcasting with one of the first PLL FM transmitters marketed to undocumented & hobby broadcasters in the USA. KKTO FM was one of the few undocumented radio stations to end up in the ratings diary with a 4+ share; according to upper management from a certain ratings company.

KKTO FM was also one of few undocumented radio stations to be turned in by another pirate, out of jealousy. KKTO FM was very unique in that it operated for years with the full blessing of several legal radio stations in the area, the station even had an engineer from one of the legal station stop by to check in on operations and help keep the transmitters in check. Off the record of course! KKTO AM & FM, was equipped with some pretty nice studios for an undocumented station in the mid 80's.

Radio Brandy is hosting the web site here:
www.radiobrandy.com/KKTO-FM.html
KKTO AM is hosted here:
www.radiobrandy.com/KKTO.html

Steve

XRQKFM said:
KKTO FM, Thousand Oaks, California was an underground low power radio station that operated during the mid 80's. KKTO FM pioneered low power broadcasting with one of the first PLL FM transmitters marketed to undocumented & hobby broadcasters in the USA.

That my favorite station back in the 80's! I ought to know. I was the one who helped build the transmitter kit.

Believe it or not, I still have the original transmitter used for the Westlake Village translator on 102.3.

Remember KWLV? The antenna was hidden in my attic, then I moved it to the rafters in the garage.

I still have that 1/2 wave copper pipe antenna to this date!

I know, I'm a pack-rat. Still got my Tascam 3 console, too.

-Glenn

Re: KKTO FM Tribute Web Site Is Up And Running and Updated

Wow! Glenn and I have not talked in 23 years, as radio people tend to move around a bit, we lost touch! Who needs Myspace when you have Radio-Info!

Glenn, was a big help in debugging Panaxis transmitters; not only for KKTO AM &FM, but for Ernie too, who incorporated Glenn's fixes on his Panaxis kits.

I know, I'm a pack-rat. Still got my Tascam 3 console, too.
It's good to be a pack-rat when it comes to radio gear, I wish I were able to keep all the equipment I ever purchased. You would be surprised how often I have had electronic gear sprout legs and walk off into the sunset.

I have posted Glenn's aerial photo of the KWLV 102.3 location, it's amazing how far it covered considering its height challenged attic location.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com/KKTO-FM.html

It was great talking to Steve today on the land line after 23+ years.

I will be digging out some old gear, pictures, and even some airchecks soon.

I plan to put together a nice site of my own with some detailed radio facts for Reno, Nevada.

That picture of my old location looks great on your page. You resized it perfectly to match the others.

I am so happy that I discovered this wonderful radio-info.com forum yesterday, and found a lost friend from nearly a quarter century ago!

-Glenn

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom