• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKDZ moving to Kent

Random question, since we're on the topic of historic transmitter sites, I was rereading parts of the writeup Scott Fybush did on his big trip 2006, and came across the blurb about the KHHO site, and the three extra towers that were for KJR. Why hasn't there been anyone else there since KJR moved out? That seems like it would be a good site for KKOL to move to.

And I'll guarantee you that zero Microsoft Engineer's in Bellevue are listening to some AM station. There are plenty of higher quality streams and apps available.
I agree. And that would undoubtedly apply to nearly any demographic in 2021. But if you have a Punjabi / Hindi station, you are presumably going to aim the signal at the target audience, wherever they may live.

Well, since they are not likely to follow KKDZ down to Kent, I guess they will be the last AM standing, broadcasting from inside city limits. Hoo haa...

KBLE probably has many fewer listeners than KKDZ.
Yes and no. I know some devout Catholic people who listen. They favor it over the other Christian stations which lean Protestant and Evangelical. The Catholic denomination is probably one of the larger ones represented in the metro, as well as the rest of the country, so they must have a fair number of listeners in the area or they'd cut the station.

Yes and no. I know some devout Catholic people who listen. They favor it over the other Christian stations which lean Protestant and Evangelical. The Catholic denomination is probably one of the larger ones represented in the metro, as well as the rest of the country, so they must have a fair number of listeners in the area or they'd cut the station.
That's interesting. Considering that there are a number of stations rebroadcasting KBLE content, I suppose that would only make sense. I always thought of them as being another one of these "Air 1" outlets that have national donations, but no real listeners. That doesn't appear to be the case.

I'd be curious though, how many of those are under 40? My confirmation leader listened to KBLE, but he was the youngest person I knew who did, and he had to be at least 40 if not older at the time. This was 10 years ago. If I were to guess, there are quite a few Catholics that also don't mind some of the other stations, particularly KCMS.

I'd be curious though, how many of those are under 40? My confirmation leader listened to KBLE, but he was the youngest person I knew who did, and he had to be at least 40 if not older at the time. This was 10 years ago. If I were to guess, there are quite a few Catholics that also don't mind some of the other stations, particularly KCMS.
Probably not a tremendous amount. I suppose you could say the same about KIXI. The vast majority of their listeners are over the age of fifty. I'd say that KBLE would have pretty significant advantage, as they enjoy non-profit funding. Who is listening to KBLE? Probably older adults who still have some interest in AM radio and are seeking out content that conforms to their beliefs. Similarly, who listens to KKDZ? Probably older Indian adults whose first language is not English. David made a good point about second and third generation immigrants preferring English content.

Funding wise, you're probably right, as many more listeners would donate to that station than to KIXI. To me, KIXI actually has some interesting programming, while I have really no interest in anything on 1050.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom