• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKDV Tower Temporarily Toppled

The great John Higdon notes in the ba.broadcast group that the KKDV (92.1 FM) transmitter tower -- essentially an old-timey wooden telephone pole -- was deliberately chopped down by the station's engineering staff, and soon will be replaced by a new tower of more metallic origin.

John noted:

"Within a week, a large hole will be drilled at the exactly location of the pole, a caisson will be poured and a genuine steel self-supporting tower will be erected in its place. We expect the new tower and its modern antennas will provide a noticeable improvement to KKDV's signal in the Diablo Valley area."

The station is transmitting with a "makeshift temporary antenna" in the interim.

Photos of the tower toppling, courtesy of Mr. Higdon, are on display at:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnhigdon/timber

DJ

It looks like the pole was a bit overdue for replacement. I'm glad nobody was hurt during the project.

This reminded me of how we use wood here up here in Sonoma County: We have the antennas for at least one translator and one FM station mounted on trees...had to find *some* way around the nimby tower types! ;)

Don Mussell said:
It looks like the pole was a bit overdue for replacement. I'm glad nobody was hurt during the project.

In his ba.broadcast post, Mr. Higdon did mention that the dry rot was a bit more advanced than they had expected ... and they had expected it.

Some nice panoramic views of the hilltop location, which is "near the 680/24 junction, west of 680 on the north side of 24," are included in the series.

...And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that he had entitled his post, delightfully, "The End of a Pole."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom